What Have they done to our Junk Food

I could have posted a very similar comment as you Jill.  My Mum disliked cooking but we were always well fed.  However she made excellent pastry and the best Yorkshire Puddings this side of Doncaster.  I don't remember much about cookery lessons at Carlton-Le-Willows, in fact my only real memory of them is the silly 'gondola' basket we had to have to take our creations home, with the boys on the school bus begging for a few samples.  Mum wouldn't even let me make the gravy so when I got married I had to learn by mistakes.  Luckily my husband enjoys cooking and I usually let him get on with it. I've muddled through but would rather have a sandwich than a knife and fork dinner any day, plus I can't bear fiddly food like spaghetti, spare ribs and such like. 

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gym..... No way. I'm not in to self abuse. I do lots of walking, haven't smoked for over 30 years, and even then it was only to be sociable, don't drink much nowadays, maybe a pint bottle, but mostly

I could have posted a very similar comment as you Jill.  My Mum disliked cooking but we were always well fed.  However she made excellent pastry and the best Yorkshire Puddings this side of Doncaster.

I can guarantee 100% Chulla that I would not touch that burger in a million years. I would have to be grovelling with starvation to eat some thing that looks so unhealthy as that. All those fried onio

I could happily live on toasted cheese on granary bread with blueberries for pudding! I cannot abide foodies and even before I got rid of my tv, never watched programmes about food or cookery. Fortunately, my partner is good at making healthy meals but he does irritate me over the time he takes arranging it all meticulously on the plates. He also tends to witter on about the potatoes not being quite done or the sauce being slightly lumpy. Who cares? The trouble is that he's a perfectionist...and they drive me nuts!

• Upvote 3

Bleedy hell. Us men constantly strive for perfection and here are  two ladies who demean our efforts and only like the simple meals.  ! Tut, tut, tut.   Only joking ladies...... HONESTLY ,

• Upvote 2

I detest all them 'bake off' type progs, on tv but wife loves em,don't know why,  she never really cooks much different,not that I want her to.............like small portions,and eat when i'm hungry also like variety but not really into red meat,.............and when by myself quite happy to ding' sumat...........breakfast is my favourite meal of the day,....sometimes full-English but mostly something a lot lighter,had Greek yoghurt and fruit this morning.

Like someone said ''moderation in all things''......and a bit of what you fancy is always good.

• Upvote 1

Exactly what my grandfather used to say, Ben. "Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're dry. All things in moderation and you won't go far wrong."  He lived well into his 80s and was very rarely ill. My grandfather always insisted on having his meals served on a small plate and had quite a small appetite anyway. He liked his pipe and also the odd drink and I don't believe it did him any harm.

• Upvote 1

Actually Jill, I had cheese on toast for lunch, but I regard it as a snack really. Any hard cheese, but preferably Mature Cheddar.

Benji, likewise this morning. Greek yogurt and honey on mine, followed by Granary toast also with honey. Us 'oldies' have got to stay fit you know! 

• Upvote 2

Quite right Fly.......and on the subject of keeping fit (and please keep this to yourself) there is a fully equipped Gym at one of the places I do a bit of work,........and with the old body not exactly in its prime,decided to have a few sessions,you know tone the old arms and legs up a bit so I can kick sand in a small persons face when I go on holiday,.............well after 4 weeks,all its done is make me feel sick,and the old limbs look no better.......and aren't Gyms boring...........lol............ive got 3 weeks to go tho and i'll stick at it......hoping for a miracle...........

• Upvote 4

Gym..... No way. I'm not in to self abuse. I do lots of walking, haven't smoked for over 30 years, and even then it was only to be sociable, don't drink much nowadays, maybe a pint bottle, but mostly cheap lager, occasionally wine, and occasionally a spirit. I take my multi vitamins and cod liver oil capsule daily. Maybe slightly overdo the caffeine occasionally. Not much red meat, less cakes recently and minimal pies. 

So there, 71, fit still going. 

• Upvote 5

Wow quite a few interesting comments. I too had to learn to cook when I got married Lizzie, my embarrassment came when my mother in law visited us. She was an excellent cook and I had to cook for her.....oh dear , I made what I thought were the same as she made ( tiny meatballs in a sauce) they were a disaster.. If I remember she ended up cooking. I learnt a lot from her and also a lot more from my husband.

I'm not a health fanatic, I eat what I fancy and I can be extremely greedy. I love sweets and chocolates and wouldn't leave a restaurant meal without a dessert. I eat a lot of fruit, this morning I made a juice of 2 apples, 2 apricots, 2 peaches, a fennel bulb and a piece of ginger. It made 3 glasses full and it was delicious, simple.

I sometimes have yogurt and fruit, but then.........and I 'm looking forward to it egg and bacon. Friends of ours from Nottingham came down to collect some wine and brought us loads of bacon and cheddar, baked beans and HP sauce.

So Jill I can also have some cheese on toast . Granary bread I love but we have so many different types here. I've just had an early tea and eaten some argentinian bread with black olives with some mozzarella and salami. ( yes I know I said I didn 't eat red meat but I somehow don't consider it red meat as I also eat prosciutto crudo and anyway its pork)

Oh the other day my daughter brought in a bottle of beer to try. It's called 10 lupoli ( hops) and its mixed with champagne. Made by Moretti I think. Sounds a bit off but its really nice, just for drinking on its own. 

• Upvote 3

We all had to learn to cook when we first got married, cos there was no such thing as a ready meal to buy. I soon got the hang, but the hardest part was getting everything to finish cooking at the same time, till I figured it out. We ate a few meals of under cooked potatoes etc for a bit. 

• Upvote 1

When I had just got married, I remember going round to my next door neighbour to ask her how long I was supposed to boil potatoes.  My mum never wanted any help in the house when I was younger - she said she wanted me to enjoy my childhood because 'you won't be a child for long and you'll be a grown-up for a very long time'.  But  I soon learned to cook when I had to!

• Upvote 2

I am one very lucky person SWMBO cooks like a dream everything from a full roast to her own pork pies.

The only problem I have is as I get older I need to eat less and persuading SWMBO her portions should be smaller is not easy. I have only just managed to get her to do individual Yorkshire's instead of ones that fill your plate with everything else inside.

The only ready cooked food to come into our house is an occasional Chinese which we both love.

• Upvote 1

113  NBL.

I'm with you on that one.  I am married to a Southern lady who cooks very well.  Like your wife, she is used to cooking larger portions than I can manage these days.  I am having a hard time persuading her that there is nothing wrong with her cooking, but I just CAN'T eat that much.

• Upvote 1

It's funny you said that freckles, just been in to Bulwell Town with Mrs C & a young wench was walking around giving free samples out of Bulwell dummies ! Compliments of Greggs !

I never heard one screaming badly behaved brat all morning !  I wonder why !

• Upvote 1

It's my turn to cook this weekend  - wahey!  

Yesterday we had Bacon,egg, tomato and cheese pie with tinned tomatoes and mash.

Today it's Fish & chips cooked in dripping for me and poncy oil for her indoors.

Tomorrow it's slowly braised beef chunks and onions, runner beans, peas, courgettes and carrots.

[All spuds and veg home grown and all pastry home made using half butter/half lard].  

• Upvote 2

No Sue and Loppy its the newspaper from the fish and chips. ( hes making out hes cooking them , but I saw him at the chippy)

Compo do you sing? You look just like Luccio Dalla.

• Upvote 1

Mrs PP learnt the basics of cookery at grammar school (West Bridgeford) and produces wonderful meals. Some of her great dinners are surprisingly cheap. It does not cost much to eat well. Laziness and lack of education or upbringing are the reasons she says - and I have to agree with that. I hear loads of excuses for convenience foods - to busy, no time, to tired. Well, we have been though the mill of both working (me all sorts of hours) and having kids but we always had good cooked meals and sat at the table together when I was at home. Meal time gave us time to talk and to be a real family. A home cooked meal for two can cost about the same as a takeaway for one. We had a lovely Mediterranean style dinner this evening along with a couple of glasses of boxed wine, without costing much. Sitting together at the kitchen and having a laugh about life and family - far more satisfying than a takeaway and telly. Food laziness 'costs' in money, quality and even relationships with spouse and kids. 

end of sermon.......;)

• Upvote 3

Very well put Terry,takeouts are a nice treat...but once a week for me.

Cheap dishes:1

Grease a pyrex dish with butter- chuck in a tin of beans and a chopped onion.. rasher on top ( optional) 40 mins /serve with bread and tea- scrummy.

Cheap dishes:2

Butter a flat casserole dish- layer of sliced boiled spuds/of onion and sliced tomatoes/layer up to the top .Grated cheese and black pepper-

Nice Autumn supper.

Cheap dishes: 3

Very large spud,cross with knife and squeeze,place in tin foil and put in a raw egg and grated cheese. Cover with foil and bake in oven..result!!..and cheap!!