• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the first single I bought was an instrumental . African Waltz by the Johnny Dankworth Orchestra .  Strange choice for a 12 year old!  

Bit more of my Daughters double......Karolina.......

To me this perfectly evokes growing up in the late 50s-early 60s more than just about any other piece of music.    

• 2 weeks later...

The Ventures made some good stuff back in the 60s......they are still going but all the original members are no longer with us.......

Walk don't run'' was one of my favourites about 62 i think.........

• Like 3

I think the first single I bought was an instrumental . African Waltz by the Johnny Dankworth Orchestra . 

Strange choice for a 12 year old!

• Like 4

I can remember the Light programme on the car radio when my mum, dad and I used to take my brother to Birmingham where he did his mechanical engineering apprenticeship at BSA but came home for weekends. Also the shipping forecast and “sing something simple”
Can also remember tuning in at home to the police frequency, always seemed very exciting at the time but not very good reception. Had to keep very deftly moving the dial to tune in.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff Waynes "War of the Worlds" ! Now that is a good listen. Can't be arsed to post it.

From 1960, Last Date, words written later, sung by many artists. This tune doesn't need lyrics, it carries its own pathos tinged with a touch of bitter-sweet. But with lyrics I recommend Skeeter Davis.

From about the same time, who can forget Russ.

This also a favourite of budding guitarists of teenage years, well it was fave in our house.

On 1/21/2024 at 5:37 PM, Beekay said:

Jeff Waynes "War of the Worlds" ! Now that is a good listen. Can't be arsed to post it.

I absolutely love Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds so I've shared it here as everyone should listen to it at least once. A master piece.

• Like 2

Thank you Little Mel, for coming to an old mans rescue.

Now I can sit and listen to it without getting my CD or record out.  thumbsup

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Must have first heard of ''Duane''.......when i was but a mere Lad of 15 ish....on the 'Juke box' in the 'Penguin'' cafe in Bulwell........very popular with the ''Bikers and Teds'' putting their 3penny bits in the Box'''.....

• Like 3
4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

putting their 3penny bits in the Box'''...

Ben, I can't remember it being 'threpney' bits in the juke box. For me it was a tanner a song or three for a bob along with a frothy coffee in a glass cup at the El Rico Cafe opposite the Forest Folk pub in Bliduth

• Like 1

Wiow Warson

Please sir did you forget 

Russ Conway   Side-Saddle

If I want to just relax   then its the Irish Folk music or some of the classics-----

The Planets Holst

Waltz's   The Blue Danube       by Johann Strauss     

The Glass Mountain 

Fingal's Cave Mendelssohn

Don't like any Mozart's music     

Duelling banjos  is also one I like 

35 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

What about Beethoven's 6th Symphony, the Pastoral Symphony

Has to be my favourite but has to be the right time and place, as for Mozart I've never heard of anyone before who did like his  clarinet concerto