• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the first single I bought was an instrumental . African Waltz by the Johnny Dankworth Orchestra .  Strange choice for a 12 year old!  

Bit more of my Daughters double......Karolina.......

To me this perfectly evokes growing up in the late 50s-early 60s more than just about any other piece of music.    

Talking of music and especially of interest to you Cliffton as an ex British Midland guy look what’s up on auction shortly for up to £1.2 million, the initial draft of Bohemian Rhapsody in 1974 on a British Midland calendar notepad. I can remember using those notepads when I joined in 1974 in crewing. Presume Freddie was travelling on Midland and asked for some paper! Not sure if this link will work.

https://www.sothebys.com/buy/a18d3c0f-2d23-4f78-be25-5f3ca136b3be/lots/e0386a1d-3c18-4b8e-a920-a614e5212519

• Like 1

I play in a ceilidh band and have got hooked on jigs and reels. They are like an enthusiastic ear-worm creating a counter-point to my whistling tinnitus!!

6 hours ago, MRS B said:

Talking of music and especially of interest to you Cliffton as an ex British Midland guy look what’s up on auction shortly for up to £1.2 million, the initial draft of Bohemian Rhapsody in 1974 on a British Midland calendar notepad. I can remember using those notepads when I joined in 1974 in crewing. Presume Freddie was travelling on Midland and asked for some paper!

Yes, the link worked.

I don't specifically remember those forms, but it brought back memories with the list of all the offices (Southend, Newquay, Tees-Side, etc etc), and also the rectangular logo in the shape of an aircraft (BMA).

• 3 weeks later...

Heard part of this theme played on Boom Radio this morning , something hadn't heard for years. It was bugging me what it was from but luckily the dj said it was from the film Exodus . Great tune !

On 8/15/2023 at 8:08 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, the link worked.

I don't specifically remember those forms, but it brought back memories with the list of all the offices (Southend, Newquay, Tees-Side, etc etc), and also the rectangular logo in the shape of an aircraft (BMA).

The notes for Bohemian Rhapsody on the BM calendar notepad sold earlier for over 1 million. Hopefully Sir Michael  Bishop bought it, that would be nice.

Our Latin master left once it was announced that Manning was to lose its grammar status. The subject would no longer be taught under the comprehensive system. For our final year, we had a newly qualified teacher who was pretty useless. She insisted on different pronunciation which we found irritating and confusing. However, we soldiered on, bolstered by the Manning pupils'maxim: Nil illegitimi....

• 3 months later...