Why did seaside chips taste different?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it's a long way to go but if you ever visit Weymouth, Bennett's on the waterfront do superb fish & chips. We have a chippy here in Daventry called Trawlers which takes some beating too.

Remember how back in the 60s at Goose Fair time the pubs were allowed a half hour extension to the normal 10:30 last orders deadline.  I have very fond memories of The Grosvenor in the late 60s.

Wouldn't dare ask my local butcher if he keeps dripping.

We did plan to give Eptons a 1st visit on Bank Holiday Monday afternoon, but with will power I resisted "body my temple & all that" I can report the 3 x Fish & Chips we had in Ingoldmells on the Sunday I just had chips & curry sauce where horrible.

Anyway took this

DIy1i0JW0AA9TTY.jpg   

• Like 2

Always remember going to Mablethorpe when I was a kid and heading for Monty's chip shop. A chap named Gilbert seemed to be in charge and could he cook fish and chips. No matter when you went in it was always fresh cooked and piping hot. I believe the shop is still there but I would imagine Gilbert is long gone. Has anyone been there recently?

I know it's a long way to go but if you ever visit Weymouth, Bennett's on the waterfront do superb fish & chips. We have a chippy here in Daventry called Trawlers which takes some beating too.

My favourite chip shop in Nottingham was Carsons on the corner of Berridge/Ewart Rd. It features in the 70s film The Ragman's Daughter. When I moved to Forest Fields in 1961 I used to have a 4d mix of chips, mushy peas and batter bits. These days if I have fish and chips after 7 o'clock I get bleddy awful indigestion.

Little bit early I know but all this talk of chips and mushy peas is making me start to think about Goose Fair.

Blackberry and apple crumble, back to school, acorns, conkers , Goose Fair, Bonfire Night (sod Halloween bleddy American invention) then Christmas. Sorry to go off thread I just couldn't help it. The start of the steady climb to the top of the year has begun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Madam mentioned yesterday, that Goose Fair was only a month away, and I rolled my eyes, looked skywards and groaned, but deep down I enjoy it if only for the food, although it's a long way from what we were used to as kids. 

My evenings intake usually consists of mushy peas, then some Chinese stuff then a roast pork cob with lashings of apple sauce, followed by a bag of doughnuts. Stacks of calories and mainly stodge, but I love it once in a while. Then of course, a couple of pints in the Grosvenor before returning home.

Re Weymouth chippies, I'll have to sample Bennetts on my next visit. I love Dorset, and especially the Weymouth area, and I normally visit every year or so (Twice already this year) so I'll pay them a visit! It's always nice to hear recommendations of places.

On Saturday Gem said try the supermarkets for dripping. None of the supermarkets in the north of Scotland sell dripping these days. I get mine from a local butcher - who is now charging the earth for it. He says it is because modern beef no longer has the fat to render like it used to and so the amount he can produce is limited.

That's the one Cliff, thanks.

Surprised you can't see me in there buying a pickled egg.

I see from Street View that the shop is still there and is called Adams Fish & Chips now.

Back in the 60s Mr & Mrs Carson ran it. They were both in the Salvation Army. There was also a lady who helped them who used to remind me of Mrs Mills the pianist.

Me and my bandmate Tony Dickens must have sat outside on that shop window ledge under the street light countless times eating chips, smoking and planning how we could become the next Beatles. On one occasion a particularly unpleasant bloke came out the shop and grabbed Tony gobbing off that he didn't like him leering at him through the window. I recall he smacked Tony a couple of times round the face and tore his shirt. The bloke was easily in his 20s and Tony and I were 15 or 16. Nasty sod. Didn't stop Tony enjoying his chips which he kept on eating throughout the assault. Never forgotten it lol.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, FLY2 said:

My evenings intake usually consists of mushy peas, then some Chinese stuff then a roast pork cob with lashings of apple sauce, followed by a bag of doughnuts. Stacks of calories and mainly stodge, but I love it once in a while. 

I have to commend you FLY2 I used to almost eat out the gutter has I kid, I now would never dare eat anything from a mobile catering van or stall, I'm not a fussy eater I would eat almost any type of offal, this years Nottm Goose fair will get 3 maybe 4 visits from me, but a pot of mushy peas would be my limit, that burger seller on the left on match days just before you cross Trent Bridge, can't believe folk buy & eat those, I've just realized I never have a pie at the City Ground at half time, but the lads I go with do!

Does anybody else not eat from these type of vendors?        

In over 25 years of being a Reds season ticket holder, I never had a hot dog from those vendors with trolleys, but hundreds of pies inside the ground.

Away trips were a different kettle of fish altogether....... A few odd beers, and I'd eat owt !

Did you ever eat one of those dubious hot dogs from a vendor near the central market on weekend nights in the early sixties?  I often used to get one on my way to Huntingdon st. Bus station after a night out at coleman's or Hanfords.  I guess our more youthful bodies were able to handle them back then.  I doubt I could keep one down now.  :biggrin:

There used to be a Nottstalgia member who had one of the hot dog stalls or similar around the Broad Marsh/Central market area ,can't think of his name at the moment but if interested you could do a search of these pages,

Rog

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

From a different angle and showing the shop on the other side of the road.

L044j55.jpg

Excellent shot Cliff.

Note the cobbles on Ewart Rd between the shops.

So so different around there now. Changed almost beyond recognition and not for the better.

Loppylugs mentioned Huntingdon Street Bus Station. I know this has been asked here some years ago but what was the name of the greasy spoon café at the top end of the bus station.  Also: what was the name of the café on the opposite side of Huntingdon Street?

On 04/09/2017 at 7:19 AM, FLY2 said:

Madam mentioned yesterday, that Goose Fair was only a month away, and I rolled my eyes, looked skywards and groaned, but deep down I enjoy it if only for the food, although it's a long way from what we were used to as kids. 

My evenings intake usually consists of mushy peas, then some Chinese stuff then a roast pork cob with lashings of apple sauce, followed by a bag of doughnuts. Stacks of calories and mainly stodge, but I love it once in a while. Then of course, a couple of pints in the Grosvenor before returning home.

Re Weymouth chippies, I'll have to sample Bennetts on my next visit. I love Dorset, and especially the Weymouth area, and I normally visit every year or so (Twice already this year) so I'll pay them a visit! It's always nice to hear recommendations of places.

Remember how back in the 60s at Goose Fair time the pubs were allowed a half hour extension to the normal 10:30 last orders deadline. 

I have very fond memories of The Grosvenor in the late 60s. The smell of the steaks from upstairs and Home Ales bitter in the lounge. There was a red headed barmaid called Hazel who you certainly didn't argue with and a gay guy called Claude who was sat at the bar most nights. Great atmosphere on summer Saturday nights out in the courtyard with the jukebox at full volume. Happy days. My favourite pub along with the Flying Horse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Can't beat a pie (Dormston or Pukka?) and a hot cup of Bovril at half time on a snowy February afternoon in the East Stand at the City Ground circa 1970.

How many have memories of the orange ball often used on snowy pitches?

Orange ball reminds me of the day I went to watch Notts play,can't remember who against though but Astle and Hatley were playing for Notts and I think Brown was in goal,anyway,orange ball and the pitch lines were marked in blue, there was still snow on the pitch,bye the way it cost 2/- to get in to the ground and 6d for a transfere ticket to sit in the Meadow lane stand which consisted of railway sleepers and crushed coke for the floor,I think this must have been around the 1965/1966 time because I was collecting the "World cup Willie" tokens out of the match programs

Rog

• Like 1