JFK - fifty years ago in a few days time.

Well they say that everyone can remember where they were on the day that JFK was assassinated. It's coming up top fifty years (on 22nd). So what do you remember of the day?

Well the first that I knew of it (I was ten) was when we came back from my dad's shop on Alfreton Road.

I must have caught the bus from Glenbrook juniors over to the shop. Number 13.

Anyway, we came home in my dads van at about five thirty, and my mum was cooking the tea in the kitchen.

My dad was lighting the fire and me and my younger sibling were getting ready to watch a TV show - I'm pretty sure it was "I love Lucy". Anyway, while we were waiting a news flash came on showing pictures of the JFK shooting. Obviously my dad was immediately transfixed and called my mum in to watch.

I remember he kept on saying, "There's going to be a war. There has to be. It must have been the Russians".

So where were you on that day?

I was at 16 Staverton Road, Bilborough and heard about it at about 6pm.

I was with a group of blokes firing pistols on Newton Aerodrome.One of the guys called out 'Have you heard Kennedy's been shot?'...seeing as we were all holding guns we were waiting for the punch line!

You know I've always thought it happened later than that as I recall listening to the news on Radio Luxembourg in my bedroom on Winthorpe Road, Arnold. I must have missed it earlier in the evening.

I was getting ready to go to the cinema,never did make it to the movies that evening.

My wife and I celebrate our wedding anniversary on 22nd November, never made the connection untill afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Berry Hill Grove, Gedling. I was 15yrs old, We were having tea when it came on the news and i remember being instantly terrified! I left the house and walked round the block crying. Dad was always talking about war with his friends and i thought we would have another war. What a wimp i was!

Knowing what I know now, I'm more inclined to think we would have been at war if Kennedy had not been assassinated .

They were a bad family anyway, talk of scandals at the top nowadays , good grief they monopolised scandal 50 odd years ago.

• Upvote 1

Willow road, Gedling. Just about to go out the door on a date when the news flash came on. We always got tense when they came on especially after the Cuban missile crisis of October 62. Remember thinking if they prove the Russians did this things could get nasty in a hurry. Tense days for a while.

Wigman Rd Bilborough. I was in 1st year at Bilborough Grammar School. just been to a Christmas Fair and it was on the news.

By the way Bilboro-lad, Did you know the Catchpoles? They lived at number 8 Staverton Rd. Peter would have been nearer your age. Robert was in my year and we often cycled to and from school together. a great mate. Would love to know what he's doing now.

I was 16, just heard it on the tea time news and was shocked. My workmate was on her way over from Bulwell at the time and I went down to Bells Lane bus stop to meet her so I could tell her what had happened. She'd be on the bus when it was announced and wouldn't know. Didn't really know much about the Kennedy's at that time, but it was still a shock, I think because it was about the first thing our generation [baby boomers] had to deal with, I can't remember anything else like this happening before this.

Wigman Rd Bilborough. I was in 1st year at Bilborough Grammar School. just been to a Christmas Fair and it was on the news.

By the way Bilboro-lad, Did you know the Catchpoles? They lived at number 8 Staverton Rd. Peter would have been nearer your age. Robert was in my year and we often cycled to and from school together. a great mate. Would love to know what he's doing now.

I remember the name but they never had anything to do with us common folk that didn't go to grammar school.

I knew a Richard Copestake and a Paul Biney that went to grammar school. Copestake was my age and lived at the bottom of Bramerton Road and Biney lived in that big white house just over the old coach road train bridge.

I think Catchpole lived at the house with the big high hedge.

Friday night. Think that quiz program with Michael Miles, "Take Your Pick" was on the box. Remember leaning on a lamppost (yes!) at the corner of Pym Street and Hogarth Street with my mate, and shouting the news down Hogarth Street to a couple of girls who's just come out. They came up to talk to us, I was instantly smitten by one of them, and we've been married for 45 years this year!

Remember the newpaper headlines, John Junior saluting his daddy's coffin, the riderless horse with reversed boots in the stirrups, the shock and sense of sadness. Little did we know, little do we still.

Peter Catchpole did have blond hair. I think there was an older sister called Carol. The catchpoles were never snobbish. Mrs Catchpole had severe diabetes. I remember the Prenderghasts on the corner of Bramerton Road. Their dad was a copper. the Bookers lived on the corner of Glaisdale Drive. I was at primary school with David Booker but got on well with his elder brother - Arthur. I remember being fascinated by the Bedford van their dad drove.

Also on Staverton Rd at the Glaisdale Drive end - Katrina Long and Phillip Day.

Peter Catchpole did have blond hair. I think there was an older sister called Carol. The catchpoles were never snobbish. Mrs Catchpole had severe diabetes. I remember the Prenderghasts on the corner of Bramerton Road. Their dad was a copper. the Bookers lived on the corner of Glaisdale Drive. I was at primary school with David Booker but got on well with his elder brother - Arthur. I remember being fascinated by the Bedford van their dad drove.

Also on Staverton Rd at the Glaisdale Drive end - Katrina Long and Phillip Day.

Well now you are talking about people I know. Shaun Prendergast was my best ever childhood friend. From babies until the age of 13 we were inseparable. At 13 I left to live in Colwick. I saw him once when I was 15 and we never met again. Sadly he died a couple of years ago, David Booker was another of my best mates. He was great fun. Katrina Long used to 'find' money and buy us all fags and chocolate. Don't think I know Philip Day though.

Nottingham Ice stadium shop, having my skates sharpened, we were regulars so knew the guy in the shop who did the sharpening and he did my mates and mine while we waited.

He had a black and white tv at the back of the shop and he came to the front and said "my god Kennedy's been shot" we thought he was winding us up so he showed us the news flash on the tv.

We went back upstairs on to the ice telling people but I dont think most beleieved us !

I was 15 at the time.

Knowing what I know now, I'm more inclined to think we would have been at war if Kennedy had not been assassinated .

They were a bad family anyway, talk of scandals at the top nowadays , good grief they monopolised scandal 50 odd years ago.

How true! I remember Kennedy`s father doing everything possible to sell us out to the Nazi`....and I will never forget how Kennedy Jnr brought us to the edge of nuclear oblivion.A series on the ABC at present shows him in his true colours.