Is it law that all councils employ morons?

I'm damned sure a simpler/cheaper answer could have been found.

Me?...I would have built a gentle sloping path to the side of the house...and a power lift up to the back door. Ten Grand tops....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mum-wityh-disabled-daughter-campaigns-for-wheelchair-ramp---and-gets-%C2%A340-000--slalom--eyesore-143242677.html#0Gv20ZF

• Upvote 1

Not only law - International Law! It is just the same over here!

And over here Limey.

Before I retired we applied to the local council to widen a door in a woodman's refuge which is about 6 feet above the ground and only accessible by a ladder, it is in the middle of a forest, there are no roads or paved paths to it, only a very rough forest path, but the council said we had to put a ramp in for wheelchair users, if we widened the door, we forgot about widening that door..

Absolutely necessary all council employee's are now specially bred to avoid the cost of the frontal lobotomy they used to use.

I believe the attitude started to change with the advent of the term 'local government' instead of local council. This makes them feel as if their in charge and they are there to command not advise and provide a service.

• Upvote 1

Someone's got to find the village idiot useful employment.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately we have a similar problem for my mum. She has limited mobility and a high step from her door to the path which means a slope is not possible as there is not the room as it has to be a max of 15 degrees I believe, and there isn't room for another practical step. It's a real struggle to get her up and down this step when I take her shopping each week.

I emailed our council recently to thank them for the neat tarmacking job completed on the pavement verges on our street and asking if they were aware that Severn Trent were digging them all up to renew mains pipes - only three weeks later!

A nice lady emailed back to say Yes, they were quite aware, thank you. And not to worry because the Water company were obliged to reinstate the verges and pavements to the original condition.

Oh - that`s all right, then - - -

• Upvote 2

Whilst working for Plessey's in Beeston several years ago, we had to have doors widened in some areas and a seperate toilet installed for wheelchair users. The annoying thing was there were no disabled people working on site. Absolutely barmy.

• Upvote 1

not a rule pooh but if you are it helps me ex nottingham city council employeeand i saw and heared of so mant stuppid cockups by senior staff in my time working for them .

In one of our new buildings at work we had to have a disabled persons toilet, no problem there, the only problem we can see is the five step stairs you have to climb to get to it

Rog

When visiting the City Homes counter in the City Library - I was having extreme difficulty hearing the lady talking. (And she was chewing gum which didn't help with the lip reading)

I saw the T-Induction sign, and had put me hearin' aids onto T-mode but still no improvement. I asked if the loop was working and operational.

My brother-in-law joined me at the counter.

She had a look down under her desktop and said: "Yer... oh... there's a red light on it!"

I gave up and returned another day, when it was working thankfully.

Surely there must be a Civil Servant or Council Employee who contributes to this site who can answer the question.

Personally, after dealing with planning and local authorities for 45 years, I've given up completely, at a disastrous cost to my income, but I can't cope with them anymore, they cannot make personal decisions because they are not competent or knowledgeable enough to do so. Why, it's the fear of litigation on their behalf and the influx of inexperienced graduate planning officers who simply are taught to follow the rules and are not allowed to use their discretion, but then, they know they cannot deal with old timers like me and hide behind pathetic, legislative crap. What a sad reflection on the system which must extend to other departments.

Ramps for the disabled must meet very strict guidelines. This is the one that I had to follow whilst designing.

They must be at least 1.2 mtrs (4Feet ) wide, with a gradient of 1:8, the cross fall should be no more than1:40.

Ramps longer than 1.5 mtrs. (5Feet) long must have a gradient of less than 1:14 Level rest areas must be inserted at 9 mtr (30feet) intervals.

All areas must be slip resistant. Level landings must be place between the end of the ramp and the door also between the end of the ramp and the path.

Ramps must be fitted with balustrade must be made as a structure that cannot be climbed if the ramp exceeds a finished height of .6 mtr. (2 feet)

If we were just very slightly out with our measurements when constructing said structure, we could be directed to pull it down and rebuild it to conform with regulations.

These regulations are standing for any new buildings and any newly renovated buildings. Doors must also be .9 Mtr (3feet) to accommodate wheelchairs

As someone stated they should have rehouse the people as what they built is the only way to overcome the grade and height of the block. It is not the designers fault it is the people who instructed them to build it there. the designers and the builders can only wok with the above guidelines.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone understand this?

When we spoke this morning, you mentioned that your local authority was planning to charge an annual licence fee and had based its calculation on the number of home owners on a site rather than the pitches on a site. This would therefore mean that rented pitches on the site would not contribute towards the cost of the annual licence fee.

As I said, the level of fees and how they are charged is a matter for the local authority. If you have any queries on how the authority has calculated its fees, you should contact the authority directly. In our view however, if an authority decides to charge a fee to recover its cost of carrying out its licensing functions, its fees must cover the whole of the site and not only those parts occupied by home owners. The fees must also be set in accordance with its published fee policy and must be reasonable.

I'm damned sure a simpler/cheaper answer could have been found.

Me?...I would have built a gentle sloping path to the side of the house...and a power lift up to the back door. Ten Grand tops....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mum-wityh-disabled-daughter-campaigns-for-wheelchair-ramp---and-gets-%C2%A340-000--slalom--eyesore-143242677.html#0Gv20ZF

Problem? Lifts need power & maintenance at regular intervals which would cost £££££s

If the lift stops(fails) half way up/down the fire brigade would have to turn out to rescue.

Whilst having sympathy with genuine wheelchair users, I feel some abuse it. Just walk through Bulwell and see disability scooters parked up outside pubs and bookies shops. They almost scamper in to these establishments. I personally think we pander too much to the whims of the disabled. I know I will incur the wrath of several folk, but it's just the way I feel.

• Upvote 4