Is the Wheatsheaf pub still in business on Ilkeston Road (Bottom of Arundel Street)?

Tis now a Chemist shop.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ilkeston+Rd/@52.956123,-1.166939,3a,75y,21.18h,87.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sj5zBAnGCX6ycsxXYxcKkcw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4879e97040bc1273:0xa4e32a091365c779?hl=en

Incidently, as a young girl, (10 years old), Mrs Catfan's job every christmas day was to cross that road from Arundel St where she lived to go to the Wheatsheaf to get a small bottle of Rum for her grandad, as a 10 year old !

I was younger than that (8)when I used to go the beeroff for my grandma, with a jug for her beer (could have been porter or Guinness) I know it was then as I was staying with them for some weeks while mam had my baby brother. It was not an unusual occurance, I wasn't the only kid doing this at that time. We had to be quite trustworthy not only to not take a slurp, but to not spill it!

I once parked my car in the car park there and was away doing an errand for some time. I didn't notice the guys washing cars but when I came back they'd done mine. I just paid up. It felt safer that way.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies, gang. I lived on Arundel Street between 1973-1978 and The Wheatsheaf was my mid-week local. Weekends included The Hand in Heart, The Sir John Borlace Warren and the Portland Arms.

• Upvote 1

How did she smell ? leading question.

Terrible......where's me at and coat...