What a beautiful world we live in...

It's a really beautiful video, Melissa, as is the accompanying music. I wrote a post in the 'Owt about nowt/Earth (#12) topic and It would have been good to have added this video to it.

This is a copy of what I wrote.

I would call Earth, Paradise. Most people believe Paradise to be up in the sky and maybe it is. It could also be here on Earth. We've all been to places on holiday, or on business, and seen places of outstanding beauty. We've all looked in magazines, watched TV travel shows and seen places around the World that are really beautiful and breathtaking. Ice capped mountains, beautiful beaches, woodlands, the Grand Canyon. There are so many places I could mention. Then there is all the animals in the world, all beautiful in their own way. What word can I use to describe all the flowers in the world. I recently watched the Chelsea Flower Show programmes on the TV and really enjoyed all the different varieties and colours on show. I could mention so many beautiful, exotic and wonderful things on our Earth but I'd be typing away until midnight. Yes, this is the reason why I would name our beautiful planet, Paradise. Why does the human race have to spoil it?.

• Upvote 1

One of the most beautiful sights I've seen down where I live, has been the Northern Lights... My latitude is about the same as Algeria, so very lucky to see them this far south.

The sky's here on a clear night are beautiful too, no light pollution..

The Great Salt Lake is another sight to behold!

• Upvote 1

When I lived in Oman, in the Middle east, we used to go "wadi bashing" driving down dried up river beds (in the cooler months but being aware of flash floods) some of us in battered landrovers, and camp out for a few days. One of the best times was in the evening, when you would watch Mars rising over the mountains, followed by the moon.

As there was no light pollution in the mountains you could see thousands upon millions of stars and galaxies. it was a truly magical time, and there is nothing like skinny dipping in a wadi pool in the moonlight, and letting the fish nibble your feet, (and other bits if you weren't careful)..........absolute bliss.

In the mornings we would have a bucks fizz breakfast, the champagne having chilled in the pool overnight.

• Upvote 5

It was Michael. I always felt very privileged to have spent those years out there, and Melissa's lovely video brought it all flooding back. We spent some amazing nights camping, if it wasn't in the wadi beds then we would go along to the turtle beach and watch the huge leatherbacks come ashore to lay their eggs. You had to be careful to show no lights as the hatchlings headed towards the sea guided by the moonlight, and campfires, torches etc could disorientate them.

As the title says "What a beautiful world we live in"

• Upvote 3

Good on you MS. I always try and do my bit and forever vote for the Green Party!

Glad you all enjoyed the video but as for the music I'm not too sure HippoGirl! Sounds like Einaudi though!

Also very jealous of all those who have seen the Northern lights!!

We have to have had a very large solar flare though, to see them this far south...But that occured a few years back, I even phoned a neighbour to look north..Very vivid colours.

• Upvote 1

Much to my delight there are dark sky parks in UK. Unfortunately the house where I live now has a very limited view of the sky, but I still have my telescopes from when I lived further away from the town.

There is a little but totally beautiful hotel in Dumfriesshire called Trigony House. It is gorgeous in its own right, and the food is superb, and sometimes they do an astronomy night, where anyone who has a telescope can set it up in the grounds, which are extensive, and the hotel provides drinks and snacks outside. Its a wonderful evening.

If it is raining then we just go to the pub.....

The last place we lived in California, was in the Sierra Foothills at 2400ft elevation. We overlooked Sacramento, and one of the interesting things we used to see in summer was inversions, hot layer of air over a cooler layer beneath..It acts like a mirror and you see a mirror image of the street lights from above the inversion..A bit like a mirage.

LOVELY, and people say all this was created by a big bang'..............i don't think so!

• Upvote 3

Not sure how to put links on here so try and have a look at Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot"

I think there a few videos on You Tube.

Smiffy

Had a look smiffy' all a bit deep for me,think i'll stick with what i am comfy with,thanks for the link though.

I could see all those views from my front window - if wasn't for the houses in between!

• Upvote 1

This thread has got me all sentimental,and last night about midnight i was sat on the garden and saw two frogs hopping about on the lawn,which made me remember about 2 years ago,on the road in front of my house.A Frog was trying to cross and cars were just missing it,i went out and stopped the traffic on bending down to pick it up i noticed it had a baby on its back,anyway i picked them up and put them in my back garden.

I'd like to think that the frogs last night were the same ones,

• Upvote 2

Speaking of frogs, we have a field drainage dyke at the bottom of our garden, lots of frogs this time of year, in full vocal chorus every night lately, al trying to 'outribbett' each other.....................

• Upvote 2

Down here in Ga. We have fireflies at night, though it seems less in these days. Probably the lawn sprays folks are using. Anyway, first time I saw them I was just amazed. Locals call them lightnin' bugs. Their little backsides just light right up as they fly upwards.