Ever Been 'Famous'?

Ever been 'famous'? I ask this because some years ago, the wife and myself were in a museum in Truro and having had coffee etc. I visited the 'gents. When I came out, there was a call from a distance table. My first reaction was to see if I'd been in the ladiies by mistake. I had not. I went across to the table as requested and the conversation went as follows;

"You going back to your island"?

"Not that I know of. What island"?

"Jersey".

"Sorry. You've lost me".

"You're Bergerac".

"Oh no I'm not".

"Oh yes you are". (This went on for a while. It was like a pantomime).

"Not me. Mr Nettles is a damn sight richer than me and much older".

This is probably true about the wealth bit but we are of an age as it turns out. The wife of course thought this was hilarious and no one yet has seen the resemblance. I've always thought of myself more in the George Clooney mould. We left the museum with the people still calling after me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

In my schooldays I was probably Infamous.

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me! (Quote, unquote).

• Upvote 1

When we had a shop, a little girl was convinced I was Michael Fish the weather chap .

Then , last time I played badminton (last year) , I overheard a newcomer and the organiser , just before starting our match , discussing who I resembled .........they came to the conclusion it was Alf Garnet !

I got a bad ligament injury during that game and have never been back !

• Upvote 1

I was with a lady on the front row in a Skeggy pub on talent night.The place was packed and we were lucky to get a seat.The first act,a female singer, aimed her song directly at me as if there was nobody else in the room. :blink: A comedian next went through his act looking at me throughout....The next female singer once again aimed her song directly to me...most embarrassing!

I went to the bar for a drink and the barman who had been watching the performances was killing himself laughing...I asked what the hell was going on.

He informed me that I was the spitting image of a talent scout from Butlins...I moved us to the back of the room.

• Upvote 1

Every morning when I go outside I am meet by an excited audience, they will not leave me alone !

They frantically run after me wherever I go, a look of absolute admiration on their faces !

The excitement builds up, the noise is deafening.......

Next I place their dog bowls on the floor and my 5 seconds of fame passes, I am forgotten for a few minutes....

Oh wait, they've finished, I'm the centre of attention again, another hour and it's walkies time !

What a star they think I am !

Smiffy

• Upvote 2

When I had hair (many moons ago) people said I looked like Leo Sayer. I had a girlfriend who only went out with me coz I looked like him, she even used to call me 'Leo' which seemed a bit weird, but she was really pretty so I went with it. All my mates were jealous of me as she was such a looker. :)

• Upvote 1

A middle aged woman at Plessey's in the late 60's thought I looked like Scott Walker of The Walker Brothers. She mentioned it every time she saw me. The former Mrs red was highly delighted.

• Upvote 1

Wrote some pamphlets for Greenpeace in the late 1990s, on eco living, that were published and used. In the late 1970's I also played flute and fiddle in a folk/rock group called Hawthorne, and sighed some autographs, I suppose there may still some poor fool holding on to one of our promotional sighed photos, hoping it is worth a fortune,

• Upvote 1

A middle aged woman at Plessey's in the late 60's thought I looked like Scott Walker of The Walker Brothers. She mentioned it every time she saw me. The former Mrs red was highly delighted.

So would I have been delighted, he was lovely .....

• Upvote 1

A more serious answer. I was famous for about 12 minutes (I'm still owed 3 by Andy Warhol). When I was a dance dj I travelled the world a few days a time. The funniest was when I went to do a night in Kuala Lumpur in 2002. I know it as that year because the world cup was on. They take dance music seriously there such that the day after I arrived there was a press conference. None of them will have heard of me before but as a UK dj I was automatically accorded the status of 'superstar dj'. That night (England's first match of the WC) I had to go out to dinner with assorted promoters and ad agency types plus 3 young women who'd won a competition to have dinner with the famous dj. I wonder if they still boast about that while anyone listening thinks 'who?'. It was really amusing being treated like I was actually famousfor a week.

• Upvote 1

Bet 'you made it easy on yourself'

I had 'no regrets'.

• Upvote 1

David Essex has always made my stomach churn. He always looks so gormless and talks like a real softy. He's harmless though.

Still, the ladies like him.

• Upvote 1

My mrs threw her knickers to him at the 'Key Theatre' in Skeggy, after he untangled his self from em,he threw em back,

• Upvote 5

For once, I'm totally speechless !

• Upvote 2