Must admit David,there are some nice places close to MK, Woburn and Bletchley etc, and the people of MK are real mix from everywhere,lots of Londoners and immigrants,sadly its suffered from some Somalian gang -in -fighting of recent times,but i do agree the shopping is good,in a modern sort of way.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crap towns? Nottingham is an exciting city. I love the place and its only by moving away that you realise what a pleasant place it is. Its not in the same league as some of the places I have to vis

Benjamin , been many times to Milton Keynes . Its almost exactly half-way between where my two sons live , one in Northants , one in Herts. Because of the massive choice of shops , it's a regular vi

Only been to Derby a couple of times & don't think much of it. I don't like Leicester much either. And Birmingham................if the world had piles that's where they would be.

When I was van driving I detested West Midlands towns such as Coventry, Tamworth and Nuneaton.

Depressing beyond belief.

You've all, obviously, never had the "pleasure" of visiting Barrow-in-Furness. The high street was absolutely dead at Saturday lunchtime.

Just left me with a horible sinking feeling; which was apt for a town that scrapes by building the very occasional submarine for what's left of the Royal Navy.

I notice a complete lack of real East Anglian towns in those lists, watch BBC East though and they lump Luton, Bedford, Corby and even Northampton into this area, I can never work out why, we don't want those sort of places ruining our landscape of infinite skies, majestic churches and thatched cottages.

For relatively local towns to me, my list would be:-

1) Harlow, post war new town gone completely wrong in every sense, it's bloody awful.

2) Basildon, the same made even worse by it's huge population of illegally camped Pykie scum, ie:- Dale Farm.

3) Haverhill, Suffolk, an old market town destroyed by a 1956 expansion programme when they filled it up with bombed out Londoners, it's a really run down depressing place to visit. I have to be careful, I'm expecting some booked bike hirers from there any minute, I don't want them to read this. They've just been, really nice people!

Further afield, the most vile places I've recently visited are Nelson and Colne, Burnley, Keighley, Bradford, run down once proud mill towns, changed out of character by the influx of strangers from a strange land.

Cor, just hired bikes to a family from Kells in Ireland, what lovely people, even shook my hand to thank me for my help.

My recollection of Scunthorpe would be the one for me,that was back in the 70's.

Dirty,dismal,depressing and smelly is how I remember the place.Some of the old Lancashire mill towns were grim places to visit.

Firbeck, spot on with Keighley and Bradford, but you perhaps haven't been to Huddersfield or Dewsbury, in fact all the Heavy Woollen towns in West Yorks have suffered the same fate that you describe.

Closer to Nottingham, Sutton in Ashfield is pretty gruesome!

Some of the places visited on Forest away trips bring a few to mind.

Plymouth....still got war damage and frightening.

Middlesborough...... gruesome .

Luton.... dump.

Halifax...... tired.

Wrexham..... Unfriendly.

Rotherham..... grubby.

Brighton... Scruffy

Gillingham.... Decrepit

Southend... 5hit hole

That'll do for a bit.

At the risk of upsetting Bubblewrap, my heart sinks every time I enter Loughborough, especially from the Nottingham direction past the Brush factory and railway station. The town planners have a lot to answer for.

Worst Forest away match for me was Burnley in (I think) 1977. Turf Moor was even more of a dump than the Baseball Ground, although the surrounding streets/houses bore great similarity in decrepitude.

Re 37, the town planners have pandered to the students! everything is geared to their comfort purely because of the incoming cash.

Trying to get through fron any direction is disheartening and troublesome.

Yes, that's a delightful ground on a wet February night with the wind roaring in from the North Sea.

You've all, obviously, never had the "pleasure" of visiting Barrow-in-Furness. The high street was absolutely dead at Saturday lunchtime.

Just left me with a horible sinking feeling; which was apt for a town that scrapes by building the very occasional submarine for what's left of the Royal Navy.

Yes I have been and I wish you hadn't reminded me of it. What's that road that leads to it? - longest cul-de-sac in the world. It was about 20 years ago when I went but was totally deprived. Went in a Co-op and the stock was just put on the shelves still left in the boxes

At the risk of upsetting Bubblewrap, my heart sinks every time I enter Loughborough, especially from the Nottingham direction past the Brush factory and railway station. The town planners have a lot to answer for.

When were you last in Loughborough Lizzie ?:

The station area has been completely redeveloped and the station much improved platforms lengthened & passenger lifts installed.

A new road has been built & a residents parking scheme introduced

This was all done during the last two & a half years

Also the town centre is in process of being pedestrianized

http://www.franklinellis.co.uk/portfolio/residential/loughborough-eastern-gateway/

All that has been done since I last ventured through Loughborough Bubblewrap. I've never had to use the railway station, only driven past it. I agree with Basfordred regarding the Lufbra students, the University has far too many of them for the size of the town and during the summer break it's like a ghost town.

Not everybody uses the station, and residents parking schemes are a nightmare.

It used to be a nice town centre several years ago but it's deteriorated dramatically recently.

Sorry Bubblewrap.

Marsdens had a shop in the Market place in Loughborough in the 60s,and i loved it,because it was the ist time they gave me company vehicle.

Not everybody uses the station, and residents parking schemes are a nightmare.

It used to be a nice town centre several years ago but it's deteriorated dramatically recently.

Sorry Bubblewrap.

WRONG

I live on a street that has a residents parking scheme & at least we can park our car near our house now.

In the past it was a struggle to park for all the people parking their cars & commuting to work by train.

The railway station as I have mentioned before is much improved & is well patronised.

And I must disagree about the town centre too as I mentioned in my post the area is in the process of being pedestrianized