• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When l was very young l remember my gran would get the sudden urge to go on a coach trip, so off we would go from Bilborough by bus to Skills on Wollaton Road. And there she would study on where to go

Move over young 'un, let me show how it's done properly !    

Last weekend's trip to Eastbourne was a bit different, coach wise anyway. At the last moment our allocated coach was changed to a coach used by some ice hockey team, Nottm Panthers or something, it mu

Thanks Methyr Imp! That's the one. I went there twice on the bus and do remember getting there for breakfast. Took a long time in those days didn't it?!! Mind you, it took us 7 hours in the car to Salcombe the other week when a section of the M5 was closed.

Did'nt Skills have a booking office on Alfreton road nottm. A little way back from the Alma pub on the same side?

When I said it was top of Peveril Street I was thinking as much about the shop itself as the booking office. I couldn't remember whether the booking office was just over the shop counter, but now I have seen that picture I remember it all. It looks like it is just a shack tacked on to the side of the main shop.

post #32 remember buying a model (full Size) of a Bavarian Wheelock musket from that shop. mum had it hanging over fireplace for years, also remember every saturday morning all the lads with dads looking and buying train stuff, Triang and Hornby.

I use to go there also Terry for my scalextric accessories. If I recall it was on the first floor and the place always seemed cluttered. I think there was a scalextric working layout as well in the shop but not certain.

• Upvote 1

scalextric Robbie, had one for christmas one year, basic set figure eight with one track over the other, dad played, uncle ernie played, uncle david played, and then i Terry time for bed, typical christmas day

• Upvote 1

I travelled to Plymouth for a holiday myself in 1966, but that was an 8.40am Black & White departure from Huntingdon Street. Changed at Cheltenham, of course, and according to the timetable book I referred to earlier, arrival at Plymouth was due at 10.11 pm. That seems pretty late to then have to find the bed & breakfast place, but I've no memory of it at all.

We always went to Mablethrope on Skills in the early fifties.

We used to stand outside the office with our suitcases until the driver arrived and we would all pile on.I seem to remember The Anniversary Seat? Which was a long bench just inside.

I was a terrible bus traveller,they always stopped for a break just beyond Lincoln where the rush for the loo and the line for The Ladies went on for ever.I was usually sick at this stage on my new buckskin sandals and had to suck barley sugars for the rest of the journey.Sorry to anyone who had to share a coach with the perfume from my shoes!

Oh the days at Mablethorpe and the walk up the Pullover!

I seem to remember the office was on Derby Road then?

• 1 year later...

I remember as a kid when dad had his first car, he would say 'let's be away before the busses'.

If you were stuck behind 30 odd coaches on the way to Skegness, Mablethorpe, Cleethorpes or Bridlington, you'd shot it, and you're not going to get there quickly. This would be mid to late 50's. So it was always away before 8.