Bulwell - Charity Shop Capital.

Had a wander dahn Bulwell this PM, yet another charity shop opening this week.

This one belongs to Marie Curie, I think it must be the sixth charity shop in the town center.

Soon there will only be Tesco surrounded by umpteen Charity shops.

Or are the people of Bulwell so hard up ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lancing and Shoreham are small towns, on a par with Bulwell in size, both have at least 6 charity shops, it's the same everywhere. If a shop becomes empty, don't the council give some sort of incentive to charity shops, reduce the rates or something? So that it looks better to have someone in there than an empty shop?

It's the same at every town you go to.........It's because of the high rents and rates imposed on shop keepers by the thieving Council.....Charity shops do not have to pay these high prices, that's why they are the only shop around...............It's time these rules were changed to give other people a chance to make a living.........

• Upvote 3

Well, in West Bridgford there are seven within 150 yards. Yes, they do get very preferential rent and rates but at the end of the day, remember they are doing good work, the sites they occupy could well be left empty otherwise, and sometimes you can find a bargain!

• Upvote 3

I like going around charity shops. Arnold has plenty as does Newark and Beeston. I think people who do go to look at the charity shops also visit cafes or other places so it brings in trade. What is the alternative. Empty shops. They recycle stuff that may get thrown away and raise money for worthy causes. I'm all for em.

• Upvote 3

I like browsing charity shops because you sometimes come across something that you wouldn't find in a normal shop. We sort of look down on charity shops but flea markets are twee somehow. Not much difference really. It's all 'one man's tat, another man's treasure'. I wouldn't give you tuppence for lots of the stuff in antique shops but if I come across a Biggles book in a charity shop....

• Upvote 3

Love browsing Charity shops,especially in Bulwell.,buy bits of crap dont know why wife goes mad at me,

Got lots of Ties from them (might have mentioned this before) also a great pair of Shoes and lots of books.Always find Charity shops good places for' idle banter'.

Theres one in Bulwell where one of the lady staff is so miserable that i can't help going in for a regular insult.lol.

• Upvote 1

Charity shops are a godsend for a lot of people today as there is so much hardship around.............I send loads of stuff there myself..........

But it is also a pity the greedy council have to charge such high rent and rates for shops that people are forced out of business............

• Upvote 1

My missus managed a charity shop for a while. The old dears who volunteered were a great bunch and the customers loved them, lots of banter. The shop did very well because of it.

In some though, they're so miserable-looking you wonder why they bother to turn up. Suppose it's no different to normal shops though.

Charity shops are a godsend for a lot of people today as there is so much hardship around.............I send loads of stuff there myself..........

But it is also a pity the greedy council have to charge such high rent and rates for shops that people are forced out of business............

Thanks 'blonde'..........some of your donations are nice,...............bit of crap mixed in though,..lol.

• Upvote 1

The Job Centers reguarly send unemployed claiments to work in charity shops, the unemployed have no choice, do it or get no benefits.

The charities are laughing all the way to the bank. No, or very little council tax & no wage bill.

No wonder "normal" shops are struggling.

• Like 1

The miserable one i'm on about represents a challenge to me to try and make her laugh or even smile,about a year ago they had one of them school photos that stretch forever with all the pupils on it,it was Henry Mellish' from the 50s,

After studying it i said to her 'I'M NOT ON IT'..................Did you go to Mellish then,she asked,..............'NO' i said................she screamed 'WELL YOU BLEDDY WON'T BE THEN'..................she was furious,.............made me laugh though.

• Upvote 2

Regarding charity shops, I passed 1 in Kimberley today, there is a job advertised in the window for a manager at their Ollerton branch. £15,000 to £18,000 for 37 hours. Not a bad wage, plus the pick of all the bargains.

Going on what Benjamin said about the volunteers reminded me of a rare visit we made to Notts and went into a charity shop in Arnold .

There was a quite eccentric elderly volunteer behind the counter .

Chap walks in who obviously knew her and says "Are you goung line-dancing tonight Betty?"

She says "Dunno , 'ave to ga to Wilkos first "

"Why ? say he

"To buy a line ! "

Made me laugh .

Thanks 'blonde'..........some of your donations are nice,...............bit of crap mixed in though,..lol.

Watch it fish face .........

• Upvote 1

Watch it fish face - laugh out louder X .........

• Upvote 1

I looked for a pair of jeans in Bulwell last year for dog walking in as one tends to get awfully muddy.

They were all either 28inch waist (Druggies) or 42inch waist (Fatties and gluttons)

I didn't bother !!!!!

Cheeky sod !!!!!!!!'

• Upvote 1

I could get into a 28" waist jeans.................................................................40 years ago :No1:

I can now squeeze(just) into a 32" waist

Shirt size as it has always been 15 & a half.