So sorry this week hasn't been good, Michael. I agree with BilboroughShirley's post about chocolate btw

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after he

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it

My wife has been feeling unwell and unsteady on her legs so she had to go to the hospital for some tests. It was found that her blood platelets were low but just higher than the level where she'd need

#199 Michael, I,m sorry to read your wife isn't feeling to good, I haven't experienced Chemo, myself, but know people who have, and it does seem to make people feel quite ill sometimes. I think that is because of the powerful job it is doing. Never worry about talking about your wife Michael, we are all following you and your wife through this illness and her road to recovery. Our thoughts are with you all. I agree with the others. You can't beat a bit of Chocolate therapy.

• Upvote 7

Is chocolate your remedy for everything Carni ?????

All the best Michael, keep persevering. We're ALL rooting for you both.

• Upvote 2

All this talk of chocolate & I absolutely love the stuff, esp Cadbury's being my favourite. Problem is tho I have not had any for three months & no cakes either.

Purgertory I tell you.

BTW, my best wishes to Mrs Booth Michael.

• Upvote 3

Chocolate revives and comforts me. I had some quite bad news on my return from holiday last week, so I scoffed the box of rum truffles I purchased from the Duty Free shop at Calais. I still wasn't soothed sufficiently by Sunday so I devoured the two packets of rum truffles my daughter bought me for Fathers Day.

I'm still not really right, so I might get some Galaxy today. My all time favourite.

• Upvote 5

It's a bumpy road Michael, for both your wife and yourself, and all you can do is support your wife through the rough times and smooth, but not on your own, which is why we are here. Don't ever feel shy of telling us about your journey because we are with you both every step of the way. Chocolate is a great comfort food.

Catfan you are allowed some treats now and again, don't deny yourself completely. It's just a matter of one piece of chocolate instead of the whole bar, now and again, and if you can bear it dark chocolate over 70% is best.

• Upvote 6

#203, Fly2,. Not everything, but it's always worth trying first? Just been to Morries and bought 2 x 360G bars Cadbury.1x Dairy Milk and 1x Fruit & Nut on offer at £2.00 each. Popped it in the fridge, awaiting the right moment for Chocolate Therapy. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 5

Michael Booth

Don't be wary of posting. Its never tedious or irrelevant to hear about you and your wife's troubles. Its the opposite. Its never just another cancer tale, its your wife, and for that matter you too. It may seem a bit weird that someone you do not know personally is wanting to support, but that is the human way of things, we communicate and share, both our triumphs and battles.

Every step of the way.

When you find the steps difficult, remember that us faceless internet things can actually help, even if it is just listening.

• Upvote 8

When I was with member Jackson last week I told her that I had ceased writing poetry, to which she stridently acclaimed 'Oh no, you mustn't !'. Spurred on by her insistence I thought I would compose something for you, Michael, and indeed for anyone in a similar position, with the hope that it might assuage in some little way any uneasy feelings.

Look beyond the hand life's dealt,

Resolve to see so clearly,

A brighter star to steer you both,

To Victory's kiss, so dearly.

Know that friends do share your trial,

With hope that glist's as gold,

Each morn, its glory 'wakes anew

With rays to warm the cold.

Life, its test has put to you,

Be strong in coming days,

Above all else be knowing that,

You'll feel those golden rays.

• Upvote 10

My thoughts are still with you even though I don't get on here much these days because of work commitments. You never know what's around the next corner.

• Upvote 1

Re: chocolate. American chocolate is crap, so on my recent trip back there, I always bring back the kid's favourite bars. Brought a few extras as well and gave our next door neighbours a bar of Galaxy. I asked Kathy later what she thought if it. Oh my God, she said, it was so good. What did Bob think if it? Bob didn't get any, I ate the lot!

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

My eldest daughter has taken my wife to the hospital today for a consultation and tests to see if she is ok for her chemotherapy later this week. It will be her second lot of four and the chemotherapy will be different from the first lot of four. When she visits the hospital she's normally a little apprehensive in case something's not right and stops her chemotherapy. It wasn't like that this morning, though, she looked lovely in her new summery clothes and I know that she felt good in them because she had a big smile on her face as she waved me goodbye. :)

• Upvote 8

Dear Michael,

The support that you give to others is extraordinary, especially in the light of the very difficult & awful time that you are both going through. Please keep strong both of you, it is amazing what a strong & positive outlook can achieve. I know because I myself am a Cancer survivor. When I was told it was unlikely that I would survive past my mid 20's & to start planning for my funeral, I took offence & it made me more determined that ever to beat it. I gave it a nick-name - "Alien", sometimes, this can help, it did for me. How dare they say that to me I thought. There was more living to do & I had 2 children to see grow up & maybe Grandchildren in the future, my family & friends to enjoy & experience everything things that I had always wanted to experience in my life, & something's that I didn't yet realise or thought about until Cancer slaps you in the face. I have achieved (finances willing), to do most of my "Bucket List", & eventually WILL do the rest as & when I can.

My bucket list was made not because I had little time to do things, or that I had given up & because I was dying, it was a list of "I ticked that off, what's next"? It was to give me something to look forward to & made me determined to reach my next target. Here I am 30+ yrs later, grown up children, Grandchildren & I am a "Coffin Dodger" as my Husband puts it, & this keeps me strong. Sense of humour & a lot of laughter releases Endorphins that give positivity & pain relief to the body (eating a well balanced diet helps too). Not weird food, but healthy fresh food & not junk. People that have had Cancer touch their lives of themselves or their loved ones will know, that often, it is the Cancer treatment that makes you feel very ill, & not necessarily the disease itself at that time.

A relative of mine was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer not long before Christmas 2014 & had to have an ileostomy (sorry if I have spelt this wrong - a Stoma bag was fitted). She still has it (Lizard) & doesn't know if she will have it reversed or not. She she has had the all clear about 8 weeks ago & she has been told that there is a greater risk of it coming back again, so she may keep it. My Mother died of Cancer in 1971 & in March this year I lost a very dear friend of mine to a Brain Tumour. So Cancer has certainly touched our lives unfortunately. So you must think positive & do whatever it is that you both need to do to get through this. And you will do, just take one day at a time.

Don't forget Michael that you too need to look after yourself & keep well. If the Carer gets sick "who looks after the Carer"? Accept any little bit of help that is offered, even if it is a friend, relative or neighbour making you a casserole or cake etc. There is nothing wrong with admitting you need help, you are not Superman & cannot do everything. An afternoon/day off (it doesn't mean you Love your wife less if you need to clear your head), or a stroll in the park just to let out those tears that you may hold in, alongside the anger against the disease. People are not mind readers & they don't know how you feel or what you need. Reach out & ask if you need a break from ironing or something. People will be glad to feel needed & help you as they don't know that you & your wife need help if you do not say so. People do want to help, but don't know how to give it. Make a list & ask.

Thank you for the support that you have given myself & my Son. It is now time for you to get support from everyone. Our Love goes out to you, & if you want to, you can always PM me.

As Ian said on my Forum "People here are brilliant". You are not alone in this, people here are rooting for you.

Echo (Rottweiler/Cakey Lady).

x

• Upvote 1

I "ECHO" your sentiments entirely, even though I predominantly consider this site to be about old Nottm; the constant contact we all have..makes us care about each other. Thus our private lives and problems are often aired too!! I hate 'wallowing' and just carry on.Michael and many others on NS are truly inspirational.

Well, my wife went to the hospital with a smile on her face and came back with an even bigger smile. She was told that the cancer had reduced even more since her last scans, really fantastic news. The chemotherapy is causing all sorts of problems but it's really working and doing what it's supposed to do, saving her life. She's been told that the second lot of four chemotherapy sessions will cause her further problems such as, pins & needles, cramps, her legs holding water and tiredness for starters. Her finger nails are also starting to go a little soft. She told me last night that she'd been getting heart palpitations. I asked her if she gets them when she looks at me...lol. She mentioned it at the hospital and they said it was caused by the chemo and nothing to worry about but they'd keep their eye on it. My wife told me that she'd enjoyed the hospital visit today. She said that the staff are fantastic people and she always has a laugh and some banter with them and the patients soon join in. My little grandson was spoilt rotten by everyone, too. Instead of everyone being miserable during their treatment they all have a laugh and become friends. The main reason for my wife's joy today, though was the news that her cancer had shrunk a little more. :)

• Upvote 10

Brilliant news, Michael - so pleased to hear it

More horrible treatment to go for your wife, sadly, but things are definitely heading in the right direction, so keep that in mind. Having a good laugh at the hospital must really help too. Great news all round

• Upvote 2