• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after he

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it

My wife has been feeling unwell and unsteady on her legs so she had to go to the hospital for some tests. It was found that her blood platelets were low but just higher than the level where she'd need

Well we had one yesterday, it burned my head. LOL

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago my wife had an appointment at the hospital for an MRI scan. These are important because you get a measure of how your treatment is going. However, there was a problem with the scanner and we had to come home as the appointment was cancelled. My wife was really upset for a few days but put it behind her and got back to being her positive self. I never mentioned it on here because I didn't want to bore you with any doom and gloom. On Tuesday my eldest daughter took my wife to the hospital for a consultation with Dr. Chan. She has found it difficult since she started on the last four, which are different to the first four, of her eight chemo sessions. Since taking some different medication she was filling up with water and was forever exhausted. He told her that she's to reduce her steroids by half, and other things, and she'd see an improvement. She had a blood test and an examination that showed her cancer was still reducing. Dr Chan told my wife that he was pleased with the way she was coping with her treatment. She was really happy with the way things had gone at the hospital with Dr Chan and when she got home she sat and played with my granddaughter. She sang Nellie the Elephant, doing all the actions, and other songs as I made the tea and sandwiches.

I'll be taking her for her next chemo and there should only be one more session after that. Hopefully, things have gone well and she'll take the next step in her treatment. It's a pity about the cancelled MRI scan but Dr Chan and his team are quite happy with the way things are going with my wifes treatment. If they're happy then we're happy and that's all that matters. :)

• Upvote 11

So glad that things are looking positive,Michael. Don't be afraid to share the gloomy news with us as well, we are all with you both on this journey and are here to support you and your wife in spirit if not in body at all times.

Best wishes, as always to you both.

• Upvote 3

I haven't been on this site long, but it really touched me how supportive everyone is to each other. I expect we have all been touched by sadness at some point and know from experience the best therapy is to share, or even if you don't want to talk about it it is nice to know that someone is thinking of you. All the very best to you and Mrs Michael and I hope she gets well soon :)

• Upvote 8

So pleased for you both..... thumbsup

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your posts, everyone. As I've stated before, they mean a lot to us. I liked the comment from OrphanAnnie (#287),

'I haven't been on this site long, but it really touched me how supportive everyone is to each other.'

It's quite correct that the majority of the regular posters are very supportive. :)

• Upvote 4

I took my wife to the hospital today for her chemotherapy treatment. We went to the waiting room, booked in and sat down to wait for the call from the nurse. There were quite a few people waiting and there was an elderly lady (who we'd seen there before) who'd come for her chemo with a man and two other ladies for company. One of the ladies was speaking with an American accent. I made a coffee for my wife and I and as I sat down my wife said, "I'm sure that American lady just said something about everyone on Grainger Street knowing each other" Later on, the three ladies came near my table to make themselves a drink and I told them what my wife had told me. It turned out that the lady with the accent was Margaret Blatherwick and had lived on Grainger Street, off Meadow Lane, the same time as me. She was older than me and said that she'd left the street and emigrated to Canada. We had a good chat and reminisced about the people we could remember. She was in fits of laughter when I told her how my brothers and sister and I would be in bed at night. After the pubs closed there was a chap called Mr Edist who'd stagger along Grainger Street singing cowboy songs at the top of his voice. We'd all be at the bedroom window and would shout to him. As he looked around we'd duck down so that he didn't see us, laughing our heads off. We'd then hear my Dad shout from the bottom of the stairs and we'd all dive into bed before he caught us. If Margaret hadn't made that comment to the members of her family we'd never have known who each other was. :)

• Upvote 6

Oh my word, what a small World it is Michael. It's a shame you didn't know her when you were a kid but I'm sure the conversation helped your wife briefly forget what she was in that waiting room for. I expect she'll feel pretty wretched for a few days now but it's another session out if the way and that's great. Wishing her all the best.

• Upvote 4

Thanks, Lizzie. She has one more chemo session to do and then they'll decide where they go from there.

She got me this morning. She was getting ready to go to the hospital and I'd already showered and changed, ready to leave. I was in the lounge checking the TV listings and she called from the next room and asked me if I was ready. I told her that I'd been ready for ages and that I was waiting for her. She said that she was ready but just had to do her hair. I replied that if she'd still got to do her hair then she wasn't ready. It was only when she started laughing that I realised what she'd said. She doesn't have any hair. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I took my wife to the hospital on Friday for her last chemotherapy session. Apart from two nurses struggling to find a suitable vein it all went well. All the nurses came up to her during her last session and wished her good luck, which was nice. I've mentioned before that they treat you more like friends than patients. She had a meeting in the week with Dr Chan and heard some great news. She learnt that the cancer had reduced from 51/2 cm to 21/2 cm which really cheered us up. She was told that her operation would be next month but she has to have another meeting at the hospital to discuss how they are going to do it etc. She's not looking forward to it but it's another step on her road to recovery. Now that her chemotherapy has finished she's looking forward to getting her long hair back and her eyebrows and eyelashes growing again. :)

• Upvote 11

I am so glad that everything is progressing and you have better news. Let us all hope that this continues

• Upvote 1