Bang! Bang! You're Dead!

Very interesting thread with a good selection of views and opinions. Reading one of my books it appeared that capital punishment was given out for some relatively minor crimes by todays standards. Even for petty theft young children wasn't spared the gallows. There are lots of these executions listed but I thought a couple would make interesting reading.

15 March 1790: Samuel Martin, aged 21 and Anthony Farnsworth, aged 17, received sentence of death for the theft of hosiery items from the warehouse of John Heard and Co., hosiers of , Coalpit Lane. They were executed on the 24th.

8 September 1776: George Brown, who had been sentenced to death for committing a burglary at Worksop, had his sentence commuted to three years hard labour.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colly0410 - I remember that murder and knew the other person jailed and the young boy killed.........It's okay not agreeing with capital punishment, but it does not bring the murdered child back and

#50 catfan I wasn't generalising, I was referring to Melissa's response to your post about Shipman, West et al. There is no doubt they were psychopaths, as most multiple killers are. Murder is murde

#28 - I don't think they kill themselves because of living conditions. Probably commit suicide when they've had time to reflect on the awful things they've done. I'd assume they could no longer live w

Different rules, different times Robbie.

I was many years ago on the jury of a murder trial. Three men were accused of robbery and the murder of an 84 year old woman. The graphic photos we were shown were truly horrific. An old lady beaten to a pulp by three hardened criminals.

I know what my decision would have been!!!!!

• Upvote 1

#50 catfan

I wasn't generalising, I was referring to Melissa's response to your post about Shipman, West et al. There is no doubt they were psychopaths, as most multiple killers are.

Murder is murder, but there are different degrees, as in the American system, but also our own. For me, there is no doubt whatsoever that capital punishment should be an option available to judges to use in extreme cases where appropriate.

I'm struggling to comprehend the rationale behind some posts, that murderers should not be executed because it is inhumane, but it is ok to subject them to a lifetime of misery behind bars. You can't have your cake and eat it.

As I previously commented, why should society foot the vast cost to keep a murderer in prison for life? There are much better uses for taxpayer's money.

And who thinks about the poor victims families whose lives are wrecked.

• Upvote 5

It's usually the Jury this side of the pond, who decides the sentance.

Dunno about that statement, but OJ Simpson got away scott free, he later admitted he did kill his ex and her BF. Mind he's rotting away in a prison in Nevada for armed robbery, he's due for release next year I believe. That is if he isn't found dead, he's upset a white Ayrian Nation nasty bloke in the prison...LOL

He was an actor too. But his lawyer should have been disbarred for the trick he pulled with Simpsons gloves, I'd even have laid bets had the Judge any idea of what had transpired, he'd have called a mistrial.

Aah: but your furgettin' (speak this post with welsh accent) tim could niether read nur' write see? Poe lees stitched im gud N proper. Schooling been a weak point like. Poor taff signed 'is life away so e did.

Read this post slowly with an English accent (#62). :). It's been mentioned that killers shouldn't receive the death penalty but serve the rest of their lives in prison. The prisons are seriously overcrowded now so where would all these killers go. In my opinion, many of these killers are pure evil and will always be evil. Can you imagine sitting at a desk, opposite an I S terrorist, and telling him he has to change his ways and be a good boy. No, the death penalty is the only punishment in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Letting the victims family decide ?

Now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Why not just have lynch mobs ?

Victims families should have some input into a judge's sentencing consideration though. That's not scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Nobody has suggested lynch mobs!

• Upvote 2

After reading all these posts twice, there's no wonder we live in a soft society.

I often try and have a serious conversation with some of the out laws, but all I get is " whatever" .

They come out with the stupid phrase " What you can't change, don't worry about" .

If everyone had taken that attitude throughout civilisation, then nothing would have ever been done. God help us !!!!!

• Upvote 3

Not necessarily to do with capitol punishment, but I often seem to hear the phrase, "Its always been like this". At that point I just give up. There is obviously no point in pursuing the subject with them so why raise my blood pressure.

• Upvote 1

Certainly no one takes any notice of the vast majority of the population who support capital punishment.

Yes, you are right, but I think politicians disagree. You'd have thought they'd be on to this though, it could be a vote-winner.

• Upvote 1

They all tow the line these days. No one stands up for their true thoughts. Gay Marriage, immigration, benefits etc.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 8:31 PM, catfan said:

Fred West, Dr Harold Shipman & Ian Huntley who did'nt succeed., to name a few off the top of my head.

Old Huntley's after a sex change so he can be transfered to a womans prison? I'm sure there would enough volunteers willing to remove his meat & two veg? It only £100,000 of tax payers money?

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/reports/news/a48830/ian-huntley-sex-change-womens-prison/