Do people still have medicals when starting a new job? I gained employment at the airport but before starting I had to have a medical, Even a labouring job at Marshall conveyors carlton I had a medical. Colwick loco Railway I had a medical. it was the norm in those days.

yes Karlton,but be honest..............it was only a cough'...........onto the 'Palm' of a hand was'nt it.....lol.

• Upvote 1

It was mandatory every few years when I worked in the NSW coal industry, I think it four years, company covered the costs. The only medicals I took in the UK regarding employment was with the NCB, then that was it until I applied for a job with Cleveland Potash in North yorks in 1975. BG didn't require one nor did the rewind companies I worked for, nor Beeston Boiler company.

I was never required to take a medical for a job in the UK. Only once in Canada. My thoughts on doctors are mostly not printable. (I know there are some good caring ones but they are getting fewer)

All new starters in our industry have to have a medical within the first three months of being set on, after that we all have health screening once a year, this is paid for by the company which would probably set you back £100 at the GP's, it is quite thorough as well and highlights any potential problems you could have before they become too serious

Rog

• Upvote 2

Not many companies nowadays require a medical exam. Possibly a cost cutting exercise.

I think yer right catfan I think its mainly footballers and the like who get medicals.

#7 Pantfit.

My last medical was to renew my HGV license, robbing GP charged me £175 for ten minutes work.

This ought to have been in the Rip-Off britain thread !

catfan, our health screening consist of: hearing,eyesight,height,weight,cholesterol,blood pressure,alcohol and drug testing,as well as the usual urine sample for diabetes etc,if any problems do arise you can be refered to your GP or hospital as required,company's invest a lot of money in training employees and they need to look after their investment,ie: the workforce,hence the other thread on here about the "pedometer challenge"

all good for the health

Rog

• Upvote 1

It's a little known fact that you have to pass a medical before you can become Admin or a Moderator on Nottstalgia.

What, to see if you're "Brain Dead" ???? :jumping:

Had a medical for NCB, Army (A1) & taxi drivers licence. I have a sort of mini medical every 6 months at work (QMC) they measure BMI, blood sugar, cholesterol & ask if any problems. It's a good job they don't test for daftness or I'd be straight down the dole office. :)

• Upvote 3

It's a little known fact that you have to pass a medical before you can become Admin or a Moderator on Nottstalgia.

What, to see if you're "Brain Dead" ???? :jumping:

It's more like a seance. ""Is anybody there ?"

• Upvote 3