Fish Finger's Birthday

# Fish Finger - I will be away on holiday, so I will wish you a happy birthday today for the 26th in advance, you are a Libra like me, I will be 70 on the 30th..........

Hope you have a great birthday Xxx :congrats:

Oh dear, got it wrong, didn't log in - something fishy afoot.................Happy birthday, FISH FINGER - :blush::blush::blush:

• Upvote 1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 60 YEAR OLD FISH FINGER - BET YOU SMELL A BIT IFFY AFTER BEING AROUND FOR SO LONG.............

Well blow me over, I never saw a fish with fingers.

• 3 weeks later...

I love fish fingers and could eat a whole box of them in one sitting. I rarely buy them because they represent poor value for money but every now and then..... Yummy!

• 1 year later...

Our Marsdens Maestro might appreciate this memory- not having a freezer...or fridge...come to think of it, my Mum rarely purchased fish fingers or the like.

Only when in the Butchers would she take a gleg at the Birds Eye products in the open freezer cabinet.

The usual display was in Len Barnes on Mansfield rd.

Tarantella Tomatoes/Norfolk Stuffing/Mary had a little Lamb mint sauce etc.. maybe tins of Colman's mustard powder..times have changed.

We were too poor to own a 'frig.  Me mam went shopping pretty much every day.  Milk kept in a bucket of cold water in hot weather.  Yet we seemed to eat quite well.  With that and lots of exercise we remained quite skinny anyway. ;)

Edited for spelling.

• Upvote 1

Tarantella tomatoes the best.....and in a flat tin,remember having a big stack on the shop floor in Mardens high street Long Eaton 1/4,normally 1/11.......lol.

Also recall some shops with no Fridges.......all Bacon and Cheese kept on cold slabs in the Cellar...........

SORRY just noticed threads about Fish Fingers,,,,,,,,,,,Marsdens didn't stock em until 1961,,,,,,,,Findus started out as the cheapo's 1/6 for 6,

We had a cold slab in the pantry, referred to as a 'thrall'. It was the place to keep cheese in a cheese dish, butter, milk, cream, cream cheese etc. My mother also went shopping every day for items such as bread or vegetables. Milk was delivered. My mother gave up her job when she married and didnt return to part-time employment until I was 14.She believed that a mother should be there when her children came home from school and have time to listen to the events of their day. Something my sister and I very much appreciated.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I used an outdoor meat safe in the Falklands right up until I left in mid 1988.  The butcher used to deliver my meat straight to the safe, (Usually  a half  mutton) where it would stay cool until I was able to joint and freeze it.

• Upvote 1