That drawer in the kitchen

You know the one I mean - that drawer containing all the bits and bobs gathered over many years. The one in which you can find anything you don't want but nothing you do want. We all have one, don't we? I often wonder what it is in the human psyche that makes us have such a beast....and it is invariably a top drawer beneath the kitchen worktop too!

• Upvote 7

I tidied mine up yesterday. It was getting to the stage when I couldn't find the stapler and battery charger. Everything now is in divided boxes.

Just had a look in the Drawer of our old 'Welsh Dresser' that still sits in the Garage since moving over a year ago,.......found 2 mobile phones,box of 'Dominoes,my old 'Jock strap' and 3 Hair grips,........and i ain't wore Hair grips for years.......

• Upvote 5

I call ours "His Man Drawer" which goes very nicely with "His Man Box" and we have two in the caravan too. John tidied them up the other day and we still can't find anything, probably because of all the pens that are in there.....breeding with the looks of things, there certainly weren't that many when we arrived here in March.....but I bet we won't be able to find one when we need it!!!

Wish I had a gold Double Leopard ( about six shillings ) from Edward III reign.....very rare and very valuable. One was sold at auction in 2006 for £460,000!!

We also have a large Welsh Dresser with three drawers. One is for my stuff and another is for my wife's stuff, both of them crammed full. I was once looking in mine for something and my wife said to me, "Why don't you sort it out because it's full of rubbish"

I replied that her drawer was worse than mine. "It's all stuff I need" was her reply. I realised it was best to keep my mouth shut. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

You lucky buggers! Only one? There are two in our kitchen, plus a bit more crap in the cutlery drawer. Then there's the welsh dresser.. 7 drawers, 4 cupboards and mostly full of crap. My wife has some sort of deep religious objection to empty drawers, cupboards and even room corners. Drives me nuts.

Then there is the old:

"Where is the @&%^^$~ dear?"

"Which one?"

"We've only got one."

"I thought we had two"

"Well if we have they're both the same!"

"Well last time I saw one it was in the drawer"

"Which drawer?"

"The kitchen drawer"

"There are four drawers in the kitchen"

"Try the one with the @&%^^$~ in it"

"Which one would that be Dear Heart?"

"The one next to the one with the ~$^^%&@ in it"

.... it's like pulling bleddy teeth!

Col

• Upvote 2

Yes even living full time on the road we have one in our RV, well I do, but any odds and ends my wife finds as she tidies up go into the back of the cutlery drawer, so I suppose we have two.

Mum had one and we had one in our last home, I suppose it's human nature to have a nicknack store somewhere.

Every drawer and cupboard in our house is like it. I can't part with anything. If you move one thing off the shelf in the cupboard under the stairs; the whole lot falls off.

When someone in the family needs something, I bet we have got one or more! and, I will know where it is! Organised Chaos we call it. I know where everything is because I am forever tidying it all up. But I will never part with any of it, I have tried, but I just can't do it. I love my junk, it took a long time to collect. :biggrin:

Thirteen pairs of trainer laces (all odd lenghs), Toggles, Buttons from way back, Nappy Pins, Umpteen assorted keys, Elastic, Remember the long metal clips that our Mams and Grans used to wave their hair with. Got some off them annawl. Bottle openers, Nut crackers, Loads of crumbs. Sorry, can't part with any of it. Love it all. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

In #15 Bubblewrap said: "....A noble was worth 6/8d or just over 33p". I seem to remember that being the price of a 45 single in the late 1960s. noble singles eh, what :)

Have you ever noticed how cables seem to knit one perl one, all by themselves

over night??

Am I a bit posh? We keep our bits and bobs in a small rectangular wicker basket on a shelf in a kitchen cupboard, although I do keep paper clips, laggy bands and drawing pins in little pots at the back of the cutlery drawer, along with a couple of pegs (to clip on opened frozen food packets etc). When I showed my husband what people had written on this topic, he said his 'drawer' was very big - as big as a garage in fact! I wouldn't know, as I stay out of there. It would wind me up if I actually saw all the 'stuff' I know is piled up in there.

• Upvote 1