What you used to be

My married surname is Italian and it means basket maker. Here in Italy women keep their maiden names.

I have found two ancestors in workhouses straight way, one in Beech Ave workhouse Bulwell. Will spend some time later and see what else turns up. I have seen this before whilst building my family tree and it always brings me down a bit to read about them. I suspect that a lot of my ancestors struggled a bit in their life times.

When in work, It looks as if we had Brick builders and Labourers, plus Railway workers and Framework and lace workers running through the 1800s :)

Most of my bunch originated in the Cromford area in (dare I say it). Derbyshire. Site looks interesting I'll spend a bit more time there as the days allow. Wife has a subs to ancestry, she is really into the genealogy. She made a pretty nice book for me that goes back a long way.

My maiden name was Housley - a true anglo saxon name meaning House in the Meadow - it originated from Yorkshire and Derbyshire, then my family gradually moved in to Notts at the beginning of the 1900's, they were farming people and servants...............I also have Scottish, Irish and Danish ancestors......... a right mongrol !!!!!

My surname - Harvey which is Norman meaning 'battle worthy'

My surname should be - Cumberpatch meaning valley with a stream. Traced back to a village in Cheshire - Comberbach

Mothers maiden name - Cropley meaning - habitational name from Cropley Grove in Suffolk, according to Ancestry.

Fathers mothers maiden name - Cooper, a maker of barrels- without looking it up (Fynger)

Mothers, Mothers maiden name - Smedley, a habitational name mainly from Nottinghamshire originating from a place now lost, according to Ancestry

Berresford.

A local spelling of Beresford, which is a Derbyshire name originating from Beresford Dale, close to the Derbys./Staffs. border. Beresford Dale sits on the upper reaches of the River Dove, north of Dovedale and Wolfscotedale. I went there a year or so back and stood on the little wooden bridge near to the 'Beaver's Ford', or 'Bavver's Ford' over the Dove, which is supposed to have been the origin of the name 'Beresford'. Everything around is called Beresford Farm, or Beresford Lane, or Beresford House, etc. Churchyards in nearby Fenny Bently, Alstonefield and Hartington, are full of Beresfords, or peopple described as 'of Beresford'. I confidently expect to inherit Derbyshire quite soon.

Col

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136033576@N07/5U03fC

• Upvote 3

My surname Smith(dead common ;0)

Mother's maiden name Clifton

Maternal grandmother's Radford

Paternal grandmothers Bishop

We must be nearly related.

I grew up on Clifton.

My maternal grandmother lived in Radford.

I'm dead common.

Only the Bishop bit doesn't fit.

• Upvote 2

DJ360, I worked with a Father and Son by the name of Beresford in Australia, they were from Nottingham, I wonder if you're related to them??

Mal Beresford and his Father, Clarrie Beresford, sadly passed on a few years ago.

My poor wife, although born and bred in Nottingham, was born with the surname Czeravinska. Her Ukrainian born dad changed the family surname by deed poll to something more English.

My birth name is Drage

My first married name was stringer

My current married name is Allsobrook

I wish I could have had just one normal name

Ayeupmeducks. Re #17 Thanks for that. I'm not aware of them and the spelling's different, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a link somewhere in the dim and distant. :)

Col

My surname can be traced very accurately. The site is still there, not quite an ancestral home, but a little less than that. Some may claim to be from honourable trades, some from exciting cities, some with religious attachments. Some may lay claim to riches and treasure.

My surname can be accurately traced to the back end of what is now a council estate in Blackburn.

• Upvote 1