How unlucky can you get

Domestic appliances. Since Christmas we' ve had to replace 2 hoovers, a fridge, a freezer, an oven, a dish washer and 2 mobile phones. I'm expecting the kettle, the toaster and the microwave to go next.

• Upvote 2

I have always been lucky with electic appliances, they seem to last me for years........The only thing I feel unlucky with is niggling health problems..........

I used to be lucky with appliances too but those that have failed me are over 15 years old. So they died at a good old age .

Hope you also get rid of your niggly health problems, hope they are only itches.

• Upvote 1

Well into the extended 3 year guarantee our tumble dryer packed up, remembered I had paid £25 for some extended guarantee or other. So rang the insurance company & after the engineer visited they wrote the dryer off.

In a short space of time I was fully reimbursed for the cost of a new dryer.

Used to put the dishwasher on at night (cheap electricity) one night the smoke alarm went off, went to the kitchen only to find dish washer going up in flames

thank god for the fire fighter's

• Upvote 3

Seems like many appliances today are built with the idea they will last three to five years. Lot of junky Chinese parts. If you need a new 'frig, washer every few years guess who gets richer at your expense.

You want to live in the EU ............well you don't actually.

Their latest thing is the ErP regulations. This will affect all energy related products and at this time sets out a code of labelling and levels of efficiency for all appliances from central heating boilers to hair curlers.

Making the products more expensive and in some cases less efficient at what they do, the max power rating for vacuums is a case in point. I would have a small bet that in the next couple of years they will start a system of forced replacement of less efficient appliances.

In my game (central heating) the life expectancy of boilers has gone down from a minimum of 15 years to a maximum of 10 years and according to Which magazine you can expect to spend a £1000 over that period on repairs.

I went to get me cup of tea, the handle fell off, I picked up a hammer and the head fell off, I went to knock on my neighbours door and the knocker fell off.................I daren't go for a pee!!!

• Upvote 5

Our house up north is 19 yrs old now. Most of the light bulbs are the original, so is the oven, microwave, trash compactor, gas hob. The dryer came from our previous house and is now 25yrs old. The dishwasher, washing machine & fridge were replaced about 5 yrs ago, so was 1 toilet. We've done pretty well. [you watch, they'll all clap out on us now]

• Upvote 3

Haha, that's Sods Law, katyjay. A while ago I mentioned that the washing machine door opener broke. I managed to get the door open by inserting a wallpaper scraper into the gap between the washer and the door. It works everytime and is the reason why I've never bothered getting it fixed. :)

• Upvote 1

We have an odd job man Who does simple repairs and replacements and whatever he does he charges 10.

In the 1960s my parents had a service man come around every 6 months to check the Hoover single tub (with wringer). I don't know how they managed to afford it but it seemed to pay off - that machine lasted from the late 50s right through to the mid 70s before my mother finally bought a twin tub.

He's very odd. You never know how to take him. Ask him "how much". "Ah about 500". Hes led a very sheltered life just him and his brother. He never seems to wash himself you cant understand what he's talking about but hes cheap and very obliging. He only does simple repairs and won't touch anything electronic.I make sure my husband is in when he comes as he can understand him better than i can.

Once he came to fit a new pièce to the dish washer and when he'd finished there was an extra pièce left.we never did find where it belonged but the dish washer lasted another couple of years.

I must changed the spelling corre tino a sit keeps cutting in with italian and i have to go back to correct. See what i mean. A couple orti es is left works that aren't correct!!!! Rubbish

• Upvote 1

I have been a mechanical fitter in quarries for most of my working life and I always say,"if you can't fix it with a hammer you need an electrician" always worked for me

Rog

Adesso ho capito,Questo , Bruno si chiama e onesto e per me va benissimo, e l'altro commento quando scrivo sul ipad ci vuole piu tempo a scrivere perche scrivendo vengono meta' inglese e meta' italiano. se fosse solo queste erano i problemi di oggi

Ciao ciao