Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

The worse times are when the nurses can't get enough, this is the painful time, some blood leaks inside, but the pressure can't be put on until they stop trying. By that time it is to late. There is no pain from the bruises afterwards, just unsightly.

Prior to my first Ablation, the new nurse on the ward tried three times to Canulate me, wriggling the ble99y needle about in each arm until I was bruised from wrist to elbow, on both arms. The worst was yet to come.... when the sedation was being administered, and the surgeons were waiting to start on me, it became apparent it wasn't even in my vein, just under the skin. Now that is scary! Believe me! :(

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I've often wondered what they would say if you submitted a bottle of dog pee and didn't tell 'em.  Probably come back and tell you that you had distemper. :rolleyes:

They would say it was a bit wuff.

• Upvote 1

Lizzie, Paul was given anticoagulants during his recent hospital stay and has a huge bruise on his abdomen from one of them.  He says the injections were very painful - I'll tell him you had to do your own!

I had a suspected deep vein thrombosis a few years ago and was set up for a course of injections of warfarin or similar for a few days.  In my case they must have supposed (correctly!) that I was a wimp, because they sent a nurse round everyday to do the deed.

Stung like a bee sting for a few minutes but soon settled down.

Lizzie must be very brave!!

And Paul.. obviously..  :)

Col

Very noble of you. It's a shame more don't think the same way. Far too many people would gladly suck the system dry !

Lizzie we don't get the option its either "do it yourself"or pay a nurse. Carni reminded me of an incident a few years ago when I had to have a CT scan with contrast. They got me in early to prepare me. The male nurse had problems finding a vein but eventually after much prodding and poking he found it, plastered me up so it didnt move then came the news that the Dr doing the scan was delayed . Waited and waited ....then I needed to go to the loo. Trying to undo trousers etc was very difficult as you have to keep your arm straight. By the time the Dr arrived I had to go twice and when they eventually called me in the needle had come out and they had to start it all over again. Not a pleasant experience.

Lizzie, I also think I would have done a better job of doing the injections on Paul!  It was one of the jobs I never minded doing and the patients never complained (or perhaps they were being polite?). The worst injections to give were when I worked at Harlow Wood.  The patients with TB bones/joints had to have Streptomycin injections and the 'liquid' was very thick.  It therefore had to be injected more slowly.  The children and teenagers were the recipients I remember mainly.  

I don't mind having injections either, in fact I used to let the new student nurses practise giving injections to me (using sterile water)  I suppose it would have been frowned on but nobody else knew!! 

• Upvote 1

Last Tuesday I had my six-monthly Decopeptyl injection. The nurse had a young trainee Chinese (?) girl in the surgery. As I lowered my trousers for the injection in my left cheek the girl modestly turned away. I told her to watch; she had to learn. At my age I don't care who sees whatever part of me needs a needle sticking in it.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Expect I could have requested a district nurse visit every day Col but my conscience made me be brave and say I'd do it myself to save NHS money!  

Nothing less than I'd expect from such a public spirited soul as yourself Lizzie!  ;)

Col

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, those pesky blood tests I endured recently showed that I have an underactive thyroid gland. How very dare it!!  I suppose at my age I can expect things to start giving up the ghost but I'm not happy about this.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem? I'm gathering information for when I see the GP.  Comments from the fellow afflicted...which will probably be mainly female...welcome.  :(

Jill, I have been on Thyroxine since 1995, when I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I was described as borderline for quite a few years before diagnosis, and my doctor explained that they don't put you on Thyroxine until borderline is passed, as Thyroxine is for life. Don't let that worry you, as once you get on the right dose, you should be OK. All the best Jill. I can give more detail of my experience if you want it, but I do think you are going to be OK. 

You will find some reliable info on here Jill

.http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thyroid-under-active/Pages/Treatment.aspx

• Upvote 1

Many thanks, Carni. I've looked at so many sites, many of which give conflicting information. Seeing the doctor later today...they work on Sundays!!

I'd be very interested to hear of your experiences, Carni. I need to get chapter and verse on these results before I make any decisions though.

Welcome to the creaker's club Jill. You'll be OK, Mrs Chulla has been taking Thyroxine for 15 years with no problems at all. I'll swap you your underactive thyroid for my medical problem any day.

Thyroid_zpsct3qlzy6.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I was finally diagnosed with UT, I had been through months of slowly losing energy, until in the end it was almost impossible to go to work or ride my cycle. My muscles constantly ached and no energy at all. I felt miserable because of it.

The turning point came one day when I had parked my car in the City centre car park to go shopping. As I got out of the car, I realised I hadn't even got the energy to walk. People all around me were zooming off, and I just stood there. I was 48 and felt 98. I knew there was something very wrong, so when my Dr diagnosed UT, I was relieved that it was nothing worse. 

When I went to see him, my Dr told me a little story, he said that years ago before UT and Thyroxine was thought of, little old ladies would simply get quieter and quieter, fatter and fatter and I imagine pop off.:Shock: Then along came Thyroxine, and now the little old ladies are out there Boogieing away. :)

• Upvote 1

Crikey, Carni! 48 is rather young! I've put on too much weight which isn't related to my diet and I don't have the energy I did but I'm not at the stage you were. Saw the doc this afternoon. Now I've got to have an ECG! I'm pleased they sorted you out though! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Jil, I'm sorry that your blood tests brought you news you could do without, but pleased the thyroid problem has been recognised so you can now get appropriate medication.  It's never nice when health problems are discovered but so much better than pretending there's nothing wrong and not going to see the doctor.  All the best for the ECG and any other tests that are deemed necessary.  I'll keep you in my prayers xx

• Upvote 2

I myself starting to feel tired all the time lacking in energy thought I needed some extra iron so bought spa tone iron , ( a liquid iron) you added to water or some fruit juice.. 

a few years ago my wonderful doctor sent me for some blood tests which found I had an under active thyroid.

been on levothyroxine for must be 3 years or maybe a little longer now. 

Im only 43. 

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Thanks, Chulla. I'm in good company by the look of it. Carni and Mrs Chulla as fellow sufferers! Seems to affect mainly women. Must be an up-market affliction!  ;)

No Jill, men as well............Doc. tells me ive got an overactive one.........Thyroid that is...........lol.

• Upvote 2

As I said, Ben, it's an upmarket affliction! :rolleyes:

As for the rest, I think we all know you've got an over active one, Ben! I reckon your entire hormone output has been on overdrive since you hit puberty. Ever thought of leaving your body to medical science? Bet they'd learn a lot from it. Could lead to a new medical term: The Benjamin Effect!....watch Chulla say something rude now!!  ;)

• Upvote 4

It's obvious what's causing Benji's thyroid problem - his ties are too tight around his windpipe. Safer than girfriends' thumbs, though. 

• Upvote 2