Christmas when you were young

4 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember eating pork pie for breakfast on Christmas morning. It was a tradition.  Not eaten meat since 1977 and have no plans to resume the practice.

This subject has always fascinated me because I'd never heard of it until I joined Nottstalgia; but it seems I must be one of very few Nottingham people who didn't know about Christmas pork pies.

There's even an old thread on the subject.   

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/5103-xmas-pork-pie-breakfast/?tab=comments#comment-59446

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was always a treat as a child, to visit Santa's Grotto at the Co-op. I would be about 7 here. Camel coat, matching scarf and hat, socks and brown lace up shoes. got a much wanted wooden pencil ca

Got this one Christmas (that's me) then missed Boxing Day & New Year after old Hercules (I loved that dog) ran after a train!

The first Christmas I recall would be in Southglade Road Bestwood Estate.  Me and my late big Sis sitting in bed with Mum and Dad very early.  Still dark outside. This would be around 1953. Certa

It was always a tradition in our family which continues to this day. I remember the queues outside Pork Farms’ shops on Christmas Eve. My favourite pie is made by Maloney’s of Tuxford. They were available at Gonalston farm shop but since that burned down it now entails a 36 mile round trip. I’m sure Fiskerton village shop sell pies - a mere 5 mile round trip. Oh the joys of living in isolation!

My Mum made the pork pies for her family and my Dad's family.

Some years were better than others!! There were stories and accounts kept by those who couldn't/wouldn't cook. 

My Mum kept that tradition going into her late eighties when she decided there were too few contemporary family members left to offend or please depending on how well her batch turned out.

My memory is of, to me,  the disproportionate amount of time spent in church praying, singing carols and all the other seasonal stuff.

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

This subject has always fascinated me because I'd never heard of it until I joined Nottstalgia; but it seems I must be one of very few Nottingham people who didn't know about Christmas pork pies.

Me too... Strange custom to say the least..

Aha the annual pork pie discussion. We always have pork pie and toast for Christmas Day breakfast. My dad used to stop off from work at Burtons Arcade every Christmas Eve to collect the turkey and pork pie.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Didn’t Burtons have black and green electric delivery vans?

No, Red 35cwt Morris LD

46 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’m probably confusing them with Harrods.

Thought you shopped at Fortnum and Masons.  :ph34r:

Phil, you may be interested to know, 'we've now got our miserable £10s.

your servant sir.

They really can't win can they? Whinging about a measly £10 then no doubt howling about cheapskate government if they stopped it. And I seriously doubt anyone here really needs it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There are many charities who would really appreciate the £10 Christmas bonus if anyone reading this doesn’t really need it!  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brew said:

They really can't win can they? Whinging about a measly £10 then no doubt howling about cheapskate government if they stopped it. And I seriously doubt anyone here really needs it...

Wanna bet?

We actually went into Nottm today, it was an absolute breeze. Parked in the Vic Centre, up in the lift to John Lewis, filled up our favourite selection of Quality Street in our own tins from last year, no longer weighed, just ram as many in the tin as you can  - annoyingly had no triangles or orange crisp left but substituted.  Bought a beautiful white spiky twig Christmas Dec and glass baubles which is now at the top of our stairs. Went back down to the carpark and came back home. No getting wet through and spent my £25 JL voucher. Jobs a good un.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You never know Big Ears Santa might have a surprise ??

6 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Burtons in the arcade had the best groceries my mum would have them delivered from there i can remember the aroma as you walked through there.

Lets not forget that it was Burtons who used to trim up for Christmas  the arcade under  the council house

10 hours ago, mary1947 said:

You never know Big Ears Santa might have a surprise ??

Not with my luck Mary. I once bought a suit with extra pair of trousers,

And burnt a hole in the jacket !!

BK you said that you burnt a hole in the jacket   !!!!! 

Look on the bright side BK you still have extra trouser's   

What is the best bit to lose   YOUR TOPS OR YOUR BOTTOMS?

Unfortunately no Christmas gifts guys. Am turning into Scrooge,it’s cheaper!

We’re up in the wet and windy Lake District at the moment. Going just over the border to my Scottish homeland on Monday to meet up with my old school friend which will be nice.

• Upvote 1