Rumble in the Jumble.

When I was young my Mum always took me to Jumble Sales in the Cathedral Hall,have a good root finding toys,books or a real bargain!

We often stopped for tea and buns..then back to a good rummage through heaps of clothes or ornaments. Went all the way to St,Theresa's once( Aspley?) My Dad only went once and got a right shoving from the brolly and Mac ladies,"a jungle sale"-he called it!!

Charity shops and Car boots still have a similar appeal- any other members fond of this pastime?

I love to browse the charity shops ! Some real bargains to be had as well.

I particualy like the shops in Arnold, had some great stuff from those.

Will be having an excursion there soon, I have my "spring collection" to think about !

I think charity shops have killed off the jumble sales & are possibly doing the same to car boot sales too.

• Upvote 3

Only last week I bought two "as new" M & S jumpers for £3 a piece !

Mrs Catfan goes mental when I try to "barter", pleading that I'm a poor pensioner !

I have to promise before we go into the shops that I will behave mesen !

• Upvote 6

I get lots of my clothes from Charity Shops and always enjoy doing the rounds when I'm in Ely. Paul sometimes does car boots when the weather is good but he is selling, not buying - we are still shifting excess 'stuff' from when we downsized (houses, not bodies!!). You can actually walk into the garage now, apparently, instead of climbing over things! I wouldn't know as that's Paul's place. (He is allowed in the bungalow as well!) We do also donate quite a lot to our local Emmaus Centre. I keep trying to persuade myself to give away a lot of books that I KNOW I will never read anymore but that is quite difficult.

• Upvote 5

#4 Funny you should say that Margie only yesterday my 13 year old granddaughter remarked about my collection of books. When I told her that books were 'the font of all learning' she laughed, quoting the internet and computers etc.

My parting shot was 'without writing, reading and books there wouldn't be any computers or internet or mobile phones or any of the other things she takes for granted in her every day life.'

• Upvote 8

I bought for £5 from a charity shop; a 5CD box of Classical Music by the Great Composers. I hadn't got my reading glasses with me so asked the assistant if they were the originals, her answer was yes. When I got home, not only were they not original but the music was not to my liking, a bit to heavy for me.

So, I gave them to another local Charity Shop, who the next day had them on sale for £5. If they carry on being donated at that rate they will make £40 a month. £480 a year for Charity. Pleased I did my bit for them.

• Upvote 5

love a good rummage charity shops/car boot mainly for bits of costume jewellry but have on occasion found nice handbags Have noticed that some of the "bigger charity" shops are quite expensive in some cases new childrens clothing can be bought cheaper at Primark, the stuff is donated free and they need to raise money. I think they can put profit before thinking about those who go into there shops go there because its all they can afford.

• Upvote 1

NewBasfordlad. Maybe you should remind your daughter that if the power goes out for any length of time, a book still might be quite useful. Maybe its our generation but I still like the feel of a book in my hand. I don't have to charge it and its not hackable.

• Upvote 2

I had one of those electronic book readers bought for me as a birthday present.I did try it (for about two months)and soon went back to books.

The e-book reader(a Kindle)has now been lying around for about two years.

Perhaps Ishould give it to a museum.

#4 margie

glad you allow Paul in the Bungalow......Donna lets me in the house as long as its my very small room (den) where i keep my books,of which i have too many but like you find it hard to give em away........and as Loppy says theres nothing like the feel of a book and in some cases with the older ones that 'musky' smell.

• Upvote 3

Love a rumble in the Bulwell charity shops,often buy a Tie that i don't need,still get the odd book,even bought a Pair of beautiful shoes and they are my favourites,att the moment i'm contemplating another pair i've spotted.......black half Boots at £10 a bit 'garish' with red lines on em,wife says they're over the top,but got a feeling if they still there.......gonna get em.........

Not over keen on charity shops unless it's raining when I'm on holiday. However, I've picked up some good railway books, the odd CD, and a couple of garden statues.

Some shops though reek of mothballs and always give off a feeling of foreboding, as though death is stalking behind me.

I often just give a donation to the Animal Charity ones.

The shops on Mapperley Top are the best I've found though.

Mapperley top fly,thats where i got me 'gucci' shoes £30,......about 2 years ago..............and i get a strange feeling every time i put em on,as if the last owner is watching,they are too nice for someone to have just given them away..............

• Upvote 1

Oh dear Benjamin, dead mans shoes. Don't let them lead you astray!

• Upvote 3

Anybody tried the car boot sale at the cattle market in Melton Mowbray? It's the real deal. And another thing, why do most car boot sales start at the crack of dawn and begin closing down by noon? If they started in, say, the afternoon, surely they would attract more buyers.

• Upvote 1

My objection to car boot sales is having to pay an admission fee, charity shops don't charge !

Another thing, charity shops charging for second hand carrier bags, all the goods donated, free/reduced business rates, unpaid volunteer staff (usually sent by the local job center) typically only the manager on a wage. As others have mentioned some shops esp in Nottm charging near new prices, however the fun is having a good rummage around, there really is some bargains to be had !

• Upvote 3

I used to love carboot sales. In 2000 when we came back to Italy we found a complete set of tureens , cheese dishes, vases and plates that we used to decorate our kitchen. They caused quite ofinterest as no one had seen that type of kitchen ware before.

Charity shops aren't seen here at least not in our area , but when I visit my mum I like to have a wander round but have only bought one thing. A tea towel with a yorkshire dialect on how to treat your wife.

We did buy a hoard of english books to bring here but after reading and rereading them they went to the oncology dept at the hospital. Apparently there were lots of people looking for english books so we were pleased they went somewhere useful instead of being thrown out. They were read by relatives waiting for their families whilst having chemo.

• Upvote 2

#18 - years ago we used to go to Colwick racecourse car boot in a morning then on to some brickyard in the afternoon, but it's the only one after lunch I can recall. I can't go to them where I live now as they start about 8.30am and my first bus isn't until nearly 11 when they are about closing.

When we moved to the Medders in 1966 we used to go to a jumble sale just down Kirkewhite St near the police station on Queens Drive. I loved it, bought a bundle of 6 umbrellas for a shilling, no idea why but I was so pleased with my bargain!!

Bought some crap in us time ain't we Anne...........when i was about 12 bought a 'Top-Hat' from a junk shop on Sneinton rd for 6d.......me Dad said you are a Tw** and promptly burn't it................lol.

• Upvote 1