I'm going to a memorial service this afternoon, with food to follow. There will be a big crowd, and many are bringing a dish to share. I've made this to take, but I've tripled the recipe. 

CREAMY CUCUMBER SALAD

1 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons white vinegar [I used white wine vinegar]

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon dried dill weed

salt and pepper to taste.

Whisk all these ingredients together.

Peel and thinly slice 1 large English cucumber [or 2 American [smaller and fatter]]

Skin and thinly slice 1 red onion

Pour sour cream mix over cucumber and onion, stir to cover everything. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  

A great side dish. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The English Dinner   Not for me the foreign dish, not my idea of feast,    The French, the Thai and others from, countries of the East. Garlic, chilli, spices, these the tongue's t

Didn't find an appropriate place to put this but thought this was the right place . ( foodwise)  This is my 95 almost mum just about to start on a pizza.   Not really it was a family size one

Made a few shepherds pies today to put in the freezer 1 Onion finely diced 3 Carrots,grated,fry off in pan,add Lamb mince and stir until thoroughly mixed with onion and carrot, 4 tables

• 2 weeks later...

Our friend Mary from Edinburgh is coming to stay with us for a few weeks and she is gluten intolerant,does anyone have any recipes for gluten free lemon curd or jam tarts,yorkshire puds,sponge cakes etc,I have tried using gluten free flour to make some lemon curd tarts as a  practice but when I roll out the pastry it is very flaky,I use 4 oz plain flour (gluten free) 2 oz margerine,pinch salt and 3 tablespoons cold water but as I said the pastry is very flaky and hard to work with,any help will be appreciated

Rog

ps,The ones I have made have just come out the oven and the pastry seems quite hard

Thanks Katy, that'll do for me,I should imagine for the Yorkshire pudding mix just substitute plain flour for this gluten free flour so should be all sorted for when she arrives

Rog

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just made Mrs P some spinach and feta turnovers for her lunch

P1060293.jpg

puff pastry,wilted spinach,crumbled feta, in the oven for 20 minutes,these have just come out the oven and smell lovely

P1060294.jpg

on her plate with some potato salad, saved some salad and spinach and feta turnovers for tomorrows tea for her,  (points in the bag Rog,points in the bag)

Rog

• 9 months later...

Down at the village coffee morning in Bassingham today I was asked if I'm going to bake a cake for the Macmillan appeal,they are having a cake sale next Monday and instead of the money's going to the "friends of Bassingham" it will go to the Macmillan appeal instead, think I will bake a lemon or orange drizzle cake with wiskey added to the drizzle,what do you think?

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

The other day talking to my neighbour we got talking about garden plants. They have 4 huge lemon trees in plant pots and during this time of the year I can be sure that she hands me a few. She invited me to go and look at them. ( in the winter they go into the garage out of the frost and ice) When I got there I was amazed at the amount of lemons they had produced this year. She had a basket ready and proceeded to cut off some lemons for me. They were small ones but so full of juice. I took off the zest and put them into 96% alcohol to macerate for a week when I will strain them and make some Limoncello and Limoncello cream. I have a small jar macerating to make lemon extract and another small jar under salt to preserve them. ( never preserved them like this before but it will be interesting to see the result) The rest of the lemons are in the fridge and the whole litre of juice is in the freezer. Now next Tuesday will be bottling day.

• Like 2

I think it's a good year generally for citrus fruits at the latitude we live, Brenda. The orange crops here are enormous so it will be a busy Fete de L’Oranger at Easter. Is it global warming, I wonder?

https://www.google.com/search?q=easter+festival,+bar+sur+loup&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB867GB867&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=IJSa4OCZuknhpM%3A%2C3IOBNuKKPVCDbM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSXQ6vhzZQGzBFz-u1AHKOFVW405g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjmkKqhh7_nAhUGTxUIHc-TDXgQ9QEwAXoECAkQBw#imgrc=IJSa4OCZuknhpM:

• Like 1

Some cracking pictures Jonab, is that where you reside?

PS, why is the bloke peeling oranges and hanging the skins on a line?

That is where I live, Beekay. My villa appears on several published pictures of le BsL. I'm not going to locate it precisely as I did that once and was then deluged with visits from all sorts of undesirables - not that I'm saying Nottstalgians are undesirables but this forum is open to public scrutiny.

The peel is the most valuable part of the oranges that are grown here. They aren't sweet to eat - they are called Bigarades, very similar to Seville oranges used for marmalade. An explanation of the uses of the oranges is given in this article https://loumessugo.com/orange-festival-on-the-french-riviera-la-fete-de-l-oranger/ (which, incidentally, I had a part in writing). The juice isn't wasted, it makes a very nice, very alcoholic 'wine'.

Almost all of the dried peel is used in making Cointreau, Grand Marnier and Triple Sec where is it the major flavouring agent and in loads of other drinks where it forms part of the overall bouquet.

Oranges aren't the only crops here. There are a number of vineyards and lots of fields of plants used in perfumery and flavours (Grasse, the worldwide centre of the perfume and flavour industry is only a few Km away and is where I used to work and how I came to live here).

Beekay, there are loads of things in foreign parts that have you wondering. dried tomatoes are a thing I learned years ago, in Sicily especially in the villages you see long planks covered in half tomatoes that are drying outside. They are cut in half covered in salt and left to drain and eventually dryout ready to save in jars for aperatives or whateverThey also make tomato puree in the same way. This way everything tastes better. Pity we can't do these things in the north although I have tried fairly successfully but the sun isn't as strong as it is in Sicily.. 

Jonab, Think those oranges are the same as they are here and they are called Chinotto . It must be a lovely festival to see. WE have the wine festival in May and you have your orange festival at easter. We have Carnival coming up and at the moment we have the San Remo song festival.

My lemon trees have TWO lemons on them, but they are only young and one of them ( tree) has had a bit of a rough time.They are still covered over from winter, the weather some days is like an early summer and others we fear a severe frost.

The big one is fine , maybe got a bit of frost bite but the others ( gggchildren;)) are still in the shed out of the frosty mornings.

Yes it is the same one but the leaves dropped off after it had been through the winter but it recovered very quickly. Last year I bought 2 more twigs from Lidl. They were only €1.99 so I thought if they die off I haven't lost much. Well they are flourishing. They are still wrapped up but through the cover I can see they are ok. Can't see though if they have any blossom or not. One is a Mayer lemon so interested to see the difference.

Must go to shake my lemon peels in alcohol. It has to be done everyday and sometimes I forget. "Alexa remind me to shake my lemon peels"

• Like 1

Waldo & Trogg. After thought......shouldn't have written that and expected some reaction. :Shock: Lemons in alcohol need to be shaken every day so they release all the whatever you call it, perfume, essence etc. :wacko: just the smell is inviting. Can't wait to finish it off with Limoncello and Limoncello cream. Shall have to watch what I write in future. smile2

Well that was easy enough. My 20cm baking being as deep as it is I could easily increase the ingredients by half as much again :)

DSC02482.jpg

• Like 5