Money saving excersise plus the cafe owners say the public will have to use their facilities and it might encourage the public to but tea,coffee,sandwiches etc, Lincolnshire logic Isuppose

Rog

• Like 2
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early family outing to Skegness....Uncles Aunts Grandparents cousins..all went for the day by train..about 1950........ Me with my Grandad and Uncle Sonny riding pillion........

Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Skegness today. A man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the p

I love Skegness.  I have lots of lovely memories of going there with my parents when I was little, exciting memories of going on impromptu day trips as a teenager, our honeymoon there and  then taking

Posted Images

Same thing sadly everywhere Rog.

Lots of shops refuse public use of toilets. You can't blame em tho the way they get left in some disgusting state.

Cafe on Shanklin beach charge customers 20p a time or use the sea rhey say !

• Like 1

Very interesting article Dave,many thanks for posting,

As an aside, the PC brigade got hold of the Jolly Fisherman poster and took his pipe from him,"not politically correct to see him smoking" they say

Rog

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Recently joined a well run FB page for Skegness ,  it's called "Skegness photos old and new"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/809923862433905/

My interest was that my grandma was born  in  the Skegness area before moving to Nottingham in the early 1900s to go into service . All her sisters remained in the area , one of them running a guest house there for many years . 

To be honest I haven't visited since the late 70s but have been able to post a few of my mother's old Skeggy photos to the page . 

Probably of not much interest here but after finding an old newspaper article , also wrote a summary of the bombing of Skegness during the 1940s by the Luftwaffe .

https://djwilson22.wordpress.com/2018/12/02/skegness-bomb-damage-1940s/

Probably suffered more than most people realised . 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Recently joined a well run FB page for Skegness ,  it's called "Skegness photos old and new"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/809923862433905/

I'll take a look at that because I have quite a few photos from the late 50s-early 60s of family holidays at Skeg.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Not enough rubbish bins but if folk can take all that drink and food down to the beach with them why can’t they take the empties home with them?   Skegness is not on its own with this, Bournemouth beach (and no doubt many more) have been left in the same state this week.   

• Upvote 1

I agree they should take it home but look at the picture, people have made the attempt but the collection is obviously inadequate.

• Upvote 1

Lizzie,  you mentioned Bournemouth.....  when our eldest child was just 13 months old we went to Bournemouth for a holiday with Paul's parents.  Our toddler was an early waker - 5.30 ish, so we used to go down to the beach around 6 - 6.30 am every day so as not to disturb my inlaws.   Every day at that time, there was a council employee cleaning the beach of all rubbish.... I don't expect that still happens.  I don't think that there was the volume of rubbish in those days, though

• Upvote 1

Should still happen Margie,,,,gets rid of rubbish,,,,plus work to someone....despite the bad press about litter in Bulwell,,i honestly haven't seen it,,,i only visit in the morning so i assume they still have cleaners very early,,,

• Upvote 1

I think that most popular resorts / beaches have an early morning clean up team. I seem to remember various places when I was younger, even using a tractor and drag rake to gather the rubbish, and water line detritus into heaps, then the tractor used its front loading bucket to deposit it into a trailer. 

Also, one place I remember used a bulldozer to level out the beach each day after use.

Yes Phil, that was the sort of area I was thinking of. My Great Aunt once owned a hotel on Teignmouth sea front, and I recall that happening when we regularly stayed there. 

On 12/13/2018 at 10:25 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I'll take a look at that because I have quite a few photos from the late 50s-early 60s of family holidays at Skeg.

If you have any photos of the funfair, and particularly the Wild Mouse roller coaster, I'd very much appreciate seeing them.

• Like 1

I remember BEFORE the Wild Mouse, when it was called the Figure Eight!  When I was very little,  I once queued up with my dad and brother for a ride on it (no height restrictions then) but when they got to the kiosk to pay, I chickened out and went back to my mum.  My dad was a bit cross with me...

I went on the Wild Mouse only once when I was 16, and had just had two pints of Shippo's. NEVER AGAIN. wild Mouse that is !

I took my sister on it once, she would be about 9 or 10. Scared the crap out of me. Not only was the ride wild she actually stood up in it!

57 minutes ago, roger peatman said:

If you have any photos of the funfair, and particularly the Wild Mouse roller coaster, I'd very much appreciate seeing them.

I'll dig around. But I think most of them are the 'Wrates' seafront snaps on the promenade taken by the wandering photographers.

• Like 2

I've had a look and they are all standard Wrates family photos; none show the Mouse or the funfair. But I borrowed this from a Facebook page and it shows the Wild Mouse (the contraption in the top centre). And a nice collection of early 60s cars.

wAlhLPB.jpg

• Like 2

I've found some old photos of the Figure 8 before it was upgraded and the name changed to the Wild Mouse

.....just Google Figure Eight Skegness 

• Like 1

Are you absolutely sure?  I remember the Figure Eight as being at the South end... This was around 1950