How's your day?

If it’s from just one side of the bed to the other it’s hardly worth the hassle of putting in an extra point. Surely an extension cable will be largely hidden. Alternatively, for tidiness you could use mini, self adhesive trunking and clip the cable into that. Life’s too short for perfectionism!:biggrin:

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

original 15A wiring, or by breaking into one of the hefty new 'feeds'

Col unless that is a typo I'd suggest you get someone in to do it for you. There have not been 15A circuits for many years and breaking into  a 'feed' needs careful consideration. 

Questions:

'Feed' cable size

Is the feed a ring circuit

Do you need a fused spur unit

What size cables are you installing

Fuses or breakers - what size

There are other things to consideration as well

Electrical faults are a major cause of fires - please be careful.

Fly its ok having loads of power points but theres always the temptation to use a few together and our electricity won't take it. Think I said before we only have 3 kw in Italy, some have more but in this area thats all we have. At the moment I have 2 dehumidifiers on a couple of fans ,( due to the humidity to dry the floor after its been washed.) the washer, fridge , freezer, lights as everywhere is shuttered up and its dark to keep everywhere cool. If I was to put an electric kettle or the oven on the meter would trip. Believe me its a niusance and it took me ages to get used to it after living in UK but you do get used to it and I've learnt to boil a pan of water for a cuppa on the gas. smile2

• Upvote 1

Phil we did do that but the extentions we had weren't long enough. Our beds are a lot wider than beds in UK. We have a night light and one bedside lamp.Here when its dark its dark, we have the night light or else we walk round feeling our way. They put up a street light last year but its a bit far away to light us up.

On new installations this side of the pond it's a minimum requirement of outlets per room, so if one had a very large bedroom, say 14ft by 16 or larger, you'd have at least two outlets per wall, maybe more, 7 per circuit, no more under code. Ring mains are unheard of, highly dangerous too.

When I was in mining, ring mains on the main high voltage circuits were pretty common, one electrician at Cotgrave died due to it and he made a very silly mistake. When I was at Clifton, our engineer wouldn't hear of a ring main, way too dangerous he stated and had it isolated at the most inye side of it, leaving two independent circuits. Outlawed in Australia too for the same reasons, too dangerous.

I've asked around this side of the pond and fellow electricians have never heard of a ring main, I cannot find anything in the NEC code book either on the application of them, so presume banned here.

Brew, 15A was just force of habit from way back.  I of course meant 13A.

I'll be installing 2.5mm flat twin and earth, as used in all original power socket  installations here. It's unlikely I'll need to use the new 'kitchen feeds'.

All upstairs power sockets are fed from above, in the loft.  Sadly all of that wiring is no longer easily accessible as it is buried under insulation and loft boarding. Even if it were accessible in loft, I'd be into dropping a wire through a stud wall and thus having to break into it at several points to get wires past 'head' and 'sole' plate and who knows how many noggins.

So, I think my best bet is to identify wiring under first floor that is 2.5mm, running to an existing socket and use a junction box to take a spur from it. As I understand it this is legal.

Years ago I fitted a dedicated ring main into a spare section on the distribution board, which is conveniently positioned on the other side of the wall from where my hi-fi sits. I wired that with 30A cable, as was the 'audiophile' thinking at the time, though it is fused at 13A. It only fed a high quality Crabtree double unswitched socket.  I soon needed more for the hi-fi so fitted another 'ring', also on 30A cable but feeding 5 double unswitched Crabtree sockets.  It went into the same section of the old fused distribution board. When I had the board replaced a year or so back, I asked the electrician for his opinion and he said my work was fine. There was space for each 'ring' to have its own section of the board.

Perhaps Ayeup you could ask these experts just what it is about a ring main that is so 'highly dangerous', I'd be very interested to know.

13 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Brew, 15A was just force of habit from way back.  I of course meant 13A.

Col that sounds OK. Remember though if you have to run the circuit back to the board it becomes liable to a part P notification and test.

Anyway.  This morning I made Hummus and had two slices of wholemeal 'Oat and Barley' bread, toasted and liberally spread with hummus, for lunch.  Magic.

I use:

1 can drained chick peas.

30 ml (approx) or juice of one lemon.

30 ml Tahini.

30 ml Olive Oil

1 small clove garlic (minced)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.

15-30 mls water, or liquor from the chickpeas, to adjust consistency.

I'm getting quicker at this and can now assemble everything, make the hummus and have all kit cleaned and put away in about an hour.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

This morning I made Hummus

Sorry I don't speak culinary, I have no idea what all that means...    :wacko:

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Col that sounds OK. Remember though if you have to run the circuit back to the board it becomes liable to a part P notification and test.

It won't come to that.  Only thing that occurs is that I need to check whether I still have sections labelled 'upstairs' and 'downstairs' sockets, as this would effectively be an upstairs socket wired with the 'downstairs' lot.

I need to check this out with lights too. I used to have two sections labelled upstairs lights and downstairs lights.  With new distribution board, I now just have two sections labelled 'lights'. It's not clear exactly what each breaker controls..something I still need to check out.

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

You don't know what hummus is?

I've never made it myself - buy mine in little pots from Tesco...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have heard of it but honestly would not recognise it and there is not a chance I would ever try to make such stuff..

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

You don't know what hummus is?

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

I always thought hummus was the collective noun for a group of these.

2muPohI.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Naahhh.. They're Hummers.  The collective noun for them is a 'Stench'.

25 minutes ago, Brew said:

I have heard of it but honestly would not recognise it and there is not a chance I would ever try to make such stuff..

It is so simple.  I use a method where you blend the lemon and tahini first, then add everything else.  But I'm pretty sure you'd get great results just by chucking it all in and blending for a few minutes.

A lot cheaper than the supermarket variety and of course you can vary the mix, add other stuff, or whatever.

In the middle east they just seem to mash all the ingredients up in a stainless steel bowl before putting very hot spiced oil on top, along with spices.

I put my finished hummus in a bowl and top with a sprinkling of paprika and a drizzle of olive oil. I usually eat it with Doritos to convince myself I'm not really eating much...

• Upvote 1

Col, no wonder you've a rash after consuming that lot !  I've had bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms and toast, and my skin is perfect ! 

Try it !

• Like 1

I did, yesterday, but without the beans..

I'm a purist re: an 'English' and I never think beans are quite right with it.  Tomatoes are acceptable, but must be cooked down so that there isn't half a gallon of juice sloshing abaahht on yer plate mekkin  yer toast or fried slice soggeh.

23 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

spiced oil on top, along with spices.

...and there's the problem for me right there. I can't abide spicy food, as an example many Cornish pasties are too spicy for me. I had to look up what Tahini is, it doesn't sound all that appetising to be honest...

No need for it to be spicy in the 'hot' sense.  Mine isn't.

It can be as simple as chickpeas, a little lemon juice and olive oil, blended up.

Cumin adds a little earthy fragrance.. very middle eastern but not 'hot'.

Tahini is very 'umami' ish, and slightly bitter.. almost like a concentrated peanut butter taste.  It's optional... as is garlic.. or the quantity thereof.

I'd say just try it.  A little pot from Tesco.  You may be surprised.  I really didn't fancy it until I tried it, but then I was an immediate convert.

Oh, tomatoes Col, yes, I had grilled tomatoes too.

Tahini ? I thought that was an idyllic island in the South Pacific !

No, I'm not taking the wee wee Col, nobody knows what we like until we try it. Well done.

• Like 1

True you don't know what things are like til you try them. Have thought about making hummus but never got round to it. Have quite a few tins of Ceci ( chick peas ) so may try it for tomorrow. Certainly not cooking in this heat. My daughter is bringing something cold from her restaurant. Russian salad and some Courgettes  in sweet and sour marinade. Delicious with crusty bread.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1