• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Very misty this morning with fine drizzle very refreshing so decided to take the BSA R10 for a walk around the farm yard and introduce it to a few feral pigeons anyway while I was there I noticed the farmers bicycle up ended with a flat rear tyre so when I got home I decided to nip to Newark and pick up a new innertube and called into the farmyard on my way home to sort the puncture out, halfway through fitting the new tube the farmer turned up and we proceeded to have a good old chin wag and try to solve all the worlds problems, found out though that he has only managed to harvest about half a field of corn because the other half hasn't ripened just as if the sun only shone on one half and not the other anyway he's going to try again on Friday, forever grateful he's got his bike roadworthy again we parted company then it was get one of my bikes out and have a ride down to the corner just before Stapleford woods to watch the Tour of Britain riders go passed at full pelt on their way to the finish line at Newark, all in all a very enjoyable day, hope you all had a great day

Rog

I gave my gas air gun a service last week. I hadn’t used it for ages and the laser sight wasn’t working. It was about 20 years old so I bought a new one from Amazon. After I fitted it I realised the battery in the old one was in the wrong way round! It now works perfectly. Anyone want one?

• Like 1

This is the light I had on my setup this morning, although the barn is open ended and is fairly light this set with the red filter make a massive difference in illuminating the area in the rafters, really impressed with it, it can either be switched on via the button at the back of the torch or via a cable fixed to the forend of the R10, not cheap but a brilliant bit of kit

lumenmax-900-hu-6822080-C-large.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Hows my day well it was going to be painful to my wallet as I have to collect my car from the repairers this afternoon, my disrespectful garage decided it was going to become narrower as I drove it in and slightly damaged the front wing of my car. So the day was off to a bad start.

My son came to visit us with his baby donkey, sorry dog, along with my wife all three of us, plus dog, sat over looking the pond with cups of tea. the wife decided she was going to walk the dog around the garden on his lead. She was told no he is too strong for you, she was adamant the dog will do what she wants him to do, he normally does, being an understanding wife who always listens to me took him for a walk.

She was told if he pulls let the lead go , off they set when the dog saw a bee, he hates them and if he catches them he eats them. Chaos ensues dog jumping up in the air wife falls on the ground , never lets go of the lead and is dragged around the gravel surrounding the pond.

After a visit to the nurse at GPs bandages from middle of upper arm to middle of forearm they pulled the skin back to where it was supposed to be and stuck it down, large dressings on shoulder and knee and antiseptic rubbed in plenty of other areas.

Back home all my fault I should have emphasised she should have let go of the lead well things can only get better, I can go and collect my car at three and pay loads of money out.

• Upvote 1

Bloody heck Trogg, not the best of days, hopefully things will get better and you don't have such a big bill from the garage

Rog

• Like 1

Oh dear, young Trogg. Sorry to hear about your problems. Perhaps, in future, your good lady will listen to your advice.  I often see people being dragged all over the place by a large dog on a lead. I'm not a doggy person (I'm a Catwoman!) but I'm well aware that even a small cat on a lead and harness can pull me off balance when walking round the garden, taking a run at a bird or a leaf blowing around in the wind. I wouldn't like to try it with a large hound.

I hope the injuries your wife sustained will soon heal...and those to your wallet.

Just not your (or your wife’s) day, Trogg.  I hope her wounds will soon heal.  How old is the dog?  Puppy training classes may be a good idea!

btw, hope your  blocked parotid gland is now better x

Margie H the dog is a Chinese Red 3 years old and it weighs more than the wife. I will find out more about the gland soon, as I have had a ? scan with a dose of radiation to show things up better. Not sure about how long it will take for the wife to heal but my wallet is suffering.

• Upvote 1

Apparently, Chinese Red dogs are very loyal and affectionate. The worst it can do is lick her to death.  I wouldn't like one of those to take me for a walk, as I suspect would be the case. Perhaps Mrs Trogg would be better off with a Pekingese, the Chinese sacred dog.

• Like 1

Jill yes he is very affectionate , as soon as he realised she was on the floor he came back to her and stood over her. I was worried that he would start licking her , with the amount of open wounds I was worried about infections. When we have visitors and he knows them he tries to put his front paws on their shoulders and starts kissing them, a B in L taught him that , we have to try and stop him doing it. As for a dog or cat of our own no chance , a pond with fish is more than enough for me.

I wouldn't like to try to stop a dog of that size doing anything! I doubt it would take any notice.

As a child, a friend of mine had a father who was a police dog handler. The dog lived with the family.  He had his own compound in the garden but he came into the house, too.  The first time I ever went there, aged around nine, I was sitting on the sofa when this huge German Shepherd bounced in and placed both his front paws either side of me, effectively preventing my escape. I was terrified. I'd never had anything to do with dogs, especially dogs of his size, but he was off duty and as soft as grease. Different matter when he was on duty!

We look after our son’s dog and have been told this trick….

put some dry rice or pasta in a small empty plastic bottle (fill about third to half full) and screw the lid back on.  When the dog does something unacceptable, say “no” VERY firmly and loudly while shaking the bottle vigorously near its ear.  If you do this consistently, it works !!!  Of course being consistent is the key and all the family need to be on board with it.  
It doesn’t take many days for the pooch to learn, and sometimes  just seeing the bottle will stop them in their tracks.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MargieH said:

We look after our son’s dog and have been told this trick….

put some dry rice or pasta in a small empty plastic bottle (fill about third to half full) and screw the lid back on.  When the dog does something unacceptable, say “no” VERY firmly and loudly while shaking the bottle vigorously near its ear.  If you do this consistently, it works !!!  Of course being consistent is the key and all the family need to be on board with it.  
It doesn’t take many days for the pooch to learn, and sometimes  just seeing the bottle will stop them in their tracks.

Thats what Mrs P does to me when I go off the rails,  slywink

Rog

• Like 1

This dog is normally well behaved but when he is bored or he wants more attention he becomes naughty such as taking cushions off of a settee or if in the garden stand over a flower with his mouth open as if he were to bite it off looking at you waiting for a response. On the few occasions he misbehaves there is a little garden water spray bottle just show it him and he hides, he hates water. Once my son came with him after a short while it started raining normally when my son opens the door to go the dog is straight out the door, he was this time but in micro seconds he was back in. Son had to drag him to the car, getting wet isnt for him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oh dear @ Trogg, sounds like you’re in the dog-house again.  So sorry to hear about the injuries Mrs Trogg sustained and hope she has a quick recovery, otherwise you’ll be chained to the kitchen sink even more!  
I’ve been dragged through mud by our Rhodesian Ridgeback many years ago, she used to ignore other dogs (she thought she was human) and on this occasion she ignored a dog going the other way and then turned suddenly to make acquaintances.  I didn’t get hurt but it was embarrassing walking the rest of the way home, covered in sludgy mud.  

• Like 1

What another beautiful day we’ve had again so I decided to sit/lounge in the garden to get some Vit D. I was still out there at 6pm when loud bangs rang out across the area.  I honestly thought some nutter was out shooting people.  All the local dogs started barking, birds were flying around looking for shelter. When it went on for several minutes it was obvious that it was fireworks ….. but at 6pm in daylight?  Then I heard a chap on a loudspeaker so assumed it was a cricket tournament on the local ground (that used to be the Police Training Ground in our youth) All was fairly quiet until 10.15 and then we had another round of fireworks.  It now appears, from our local Facebook group, that all this noise was linked to a big funeral at the Baptist Church on Goose Fair roundabout.  The funeral was held around lunchtime and apparently cars were actually parked on the roundabout!  How did they get away with that then?  The Caribbeans certainly give their dearly departed a good send-off!  

Goodness Trogg (my smoking partner) , what a day you’ve all had! Hope your wife recovers ok. Thoughts are with you mate.

• Like 1

Trogg, I hope SWMBO recovers soon. Fixing the car is only money, think yourself lucky the dog did not get injured as that would have been very expensive. I am six foot six and no lightweight and when our 60kg German Shepherd took off when I was not ready he moved me a few yards until I got him under control again. It was cats with him, he hated the buggers.

I remember one time, next doors' cat used to annoy him by walking along the top of the paling fence, deliberately taunting him and he went spare trying to get at it. One day the cat did this and the dog jumped at the fence and hit a loose paling. The cat fell down straight in the jaws of the waiting German Shepherd. The dog shook it a few times and let it go. It never did it again.

• Like 2

Talking of walking with a lead reminded me of when I was a park ranger at Holme Pierrpont. We had a tame sheep and  a Nanny goat, plus her two kids, both Billies. Now we used to let the sheep and nanny roam free but the billies were on a long tether as they tended to wander off. On this particular day I was  leading the two kids on leads to their tethering point, with sheep and goat following behind. Some visitors jumped out of their car with their children to look at my procession. One of the children shouted with delight which spooked 'Lady', the nanny goat and she took off at a run with 'Bella' the sheep close behind. At this point the two billies I was leading realised their mum was doing a runner so decided to chase after her. Startled by the sudden jerk of the ropes, I fell over onto the gravel and the little ba$#ards dragged my right across the car park, until they stopped on their grass patch. I jest you not. There was'nt much left of my shirt after that.

Still, it provided entertainment for the punters, who clearly enjoyed it. I hated those bloody goats after that.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I love goats and used to regularly milk 3 of them when their owners went away on frequent holidays.  My reward was I could keep the milk (and eggs, cos they also had chickens). 
 Because the goats were fed only on special goat feed and grass, the milk was delicious.  Their field was kept free of any weeds etc that would adversely flavour the milk.

The owners also kept a smelly billy which I wasn’t too keen on.  I kept him in his large shed, quickly providing goat food and water (before he put his head down to charge at me)