How's your day?

6 hours ago, radfordred said:

Crikey ...... that should keep em open :Shock: 

(reply to 3 up)

I think the majority of people have got out of the habit of going to the pub and it’s not good news for the licensing trade.   Restaurant trade has picked up since the offer of 10% off food during August, but this economic disaster will take some sorting out.    When we’re in Dorset we regularly eat at a fabulous place, great food, good beer (apparently, but I don’t drink beer) and they have a few bedrooms for overnight guests.  It’s still not open for business and that’s such a shame.  This is happening all over the country and it makes me sad.   My maternal side of the family were very much into the pub trade, running successful public houses ......all long gone now (the relations, not the pubs) but it’s devastating what Covid has done in the past 6 months and so many businesses will never survive.  

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I will be travelling up to the Highlands for a weeks fishing soon and have just looked at the bookings for boats on 3 of the Lochs I normally fish. I usually have a job finding boats on some days. This year boats are available on all Lochs for the whole of Sept. In fact the Estate only have a handful of bookings! I would estimate that boats and permits earn £5/10,000 per month for the Estate. Loch fishing is only a small part of Estate business. This indicates that the accommodation, shooting and salmon fishing is also down, so how the Estate workers are going to manage is anyone's guess. 

Yesterday was looking like being the last half reasonable day here for some time.. so I decided to cut the lawns while it wasn't raining and then get on with tidying the chaos in the garage.

By the time the lawns were cut.. the day had turned gorgeous.  Clear blue skies and warm.  So I spent the rest of the day in the garden. Pottering and lounging.

I've had my green beans covered over with fleece again to try to stop the wind blowing the leaves off.  I left the stuff on..as the worst wind is forecast this afternonon.. but when I got up the wind had blown the actual bean frame over at a crazy angle. So.. took the fleece off and used a long pole as a prop to hopefull keep the beans up through the coming storm.  On the downsoide I discovered that I'd left the lid of my big plastic garden storage chest open overnight.  Mower, fertiliserrs and everything else soaked. One step forward.....  :(

Meanwhile.. the other day I was clearing out a drawer and came across my 1970s Seiko 5DX Day/Date watch.  It's a fairly unusual one with a square stainless case and square blue dial. I paid about £75 for it in 1973..so.. with inflation.. it would likely cost about £800 now. I stopped wearing it many years ago when it became unreliable and I couldn't afford to get it fixed.. so wore any old tat until I got a couple of inexpensive but nice Skaagens and my posh Rado. I decided to wear the Seiko for a bit and so far it has worked faultlessly. However.. it needs a clean and service.. a new 'crystal' (glass) and ideally a polish/re-finish of the case.  Thing is.. at best the watch is probably only worth £150/300 so it would only really be done for sentiment rather than profit.  I contacted Seiko UK and they told me they have no parts whatever for the watch... Hmm.  So, online I found The Watch Lab and decided to give them a call...according to their 'blurb' they can work miracles...

Anyway. I called the 'Watch Lab' at their HQ, which is just up the road in Preston. Enthusiastic young chap assured me they could clean and service my watch, polish the case and replace the crystal .. even if they had to 'hand make one'.. all for about £300. Now that's what the watch is worth.. at best.. but I might be tempted as I'm falling back in love with the thing after not using it for maybe 15-20 years.

But.. my bulls*** detector was tweaked a couple of times.

1. I explained there was a small burn mark in the crystal.. which made me think it was acrylic. The lad replied.. "It's probably 'mineral glass'." I didn't challenge his assumption, though I rather doubt 'mineral glass' would melt in one place from a spark in a foundry...

Next up.. "We can't change the crystal without servicing it.... because you have to take all the cogs and wheels out to get to the glass". Again.. I smiled to myself as I'm fairly certain the movement (the cogs and wheels :)) come out as a unit and the crystal therefore 'could' be changed without servicing the watch.. but I want mine serviced anyway..

On parts. "We can assess what's needed.. and if we don't have parts we can contact Seiko 'Vintage Dept'. (Really? Do you know something that Seiko UK don't?)

And on polishing. I said I'd considered taking the movement and crystal out and re-polishing the case myself.. as I'm a fairly competent metal worker. He insisted that they would do it better because .. (waffle for five minutes..) ...and all in the price anyway....

As it is I am confident I could polish the case sides.. which are mirror polished stainless. Straight forward enough. As for the case front.. which is brushed. Just run the case face on some suitable abrasive paper, keeping one edge (protected by tape) against a guide.. to reproduce the 'brushing' effect in straight lines... and then polish the brushing to create the 'silky' finish. Hardly rocket science...

I think I may call another branch of the Watch Lab tomorrow..act daft and see if I get any more or different bull***t... but in the meantime I'd appreciate any recommendations for other competent repairers/restorers. Either chains. or independents. I don't care so long as they know what they are doing.

Did I ever tell you how Goldsmiths of Liverpool managed to take about 5 weeks and charge £65 to change the battery in my Rado? It's enough to make you weep....

Sadly BK, I don't know enough about the insides of watches.. especially automatics. I did used to manage a few simple repairs to straightforward mechanical movements, using a bit of knowledge picked up from my Dad and G'Dad.  Nowhere near enough knowledge though.. and also neither my eyesight nor my 'wobbly' hands would make for success.  :wacko:

Lizzie please don't "jump the gun"  ( says she worrying about the next visit in sept) Who says if there's evidence of cancer? I've had these scans since 2010 plus the PET scans and each time it's a tense moment. As you have to drink water before you go in I think you will be having the scan with contrast. I'm suppose to drink 1 lt of water BEFORE I leave home and not allowed to go to loo, then a 1/2 lt of something in water to drink. By the time I get in I'm bursting.Anyway don't worry you'll have peace of mind soon.

Not sure if it's a good thing having a gown on or your own clothes as long as You don't have any metal on you.They just pull up,and down and cover me for decency before I go through. Much quicker to dash to loo:biggrin:.

Your comments about restaurants and pubs , here we are in a different situation. Ours did the take out and away delivery while in lockdown. Then when they were allowed to reopen I thought they'll never make it as it was before. But slowly slowly they are getting there even better than before. James's restaurant has become really busy every day both lunch and dinner . It's as though everybody has been starved. Deborah's restaurant has regained all her regulars and some but she's also making preserves which have proved to be popular. Ready made sauces and salted caramel which she has a job keeping up with. They are both pleased as they never expected it to be this busy. 

Bars are also getting busier. Take the morning coffee and cappuccino and croissant away from the Italians and they don't know what to do. They all have distancing tables and not allowed to go up to the counter . Even sugar ( in packets) is given when asked for preferences. All in order at least in the village. 

Will be thinking of you.

• Upvote 1

My father repaired watches as a sideline in the post war years. He was trained as an RAF instrument technician so it was a natural progression. He was never short of customers. I remember going with him to Woods on Clumber St. where he would buy spare parts. Strangely he never wore a watch himself but could uncannily guess the time to within five minutes!

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Anyway. I called the 'Watch Lab' at their HQ,

Don't want to worry you Col but some years back they did the same for a Bulova that has  sentimental value to me. It came back with a cheap Chinese replacement movement, two case screws missing and  I could see no sign of the case being polished..

Edit: forgot to say they charged £200 

No probs Jim.  I've already decided not to use them. I've also put a review on TrustPilot explaining why I'm not using them just on the basis of a phone call full of bull...

They seem to get rave reviews for 'charm' and for doing quick battery changes but at a premium cost. Anything more complex and they seem to fall over.

Also.. whoever you go to can tell you they've replaced seals.. pressure tested etc...but unless you see them do it.. you only have their word.

Was going to post some pics of last nights sunset . iPad won't post them and I'm waiting for them to transfer to laptop.

I think I should start a topic called..awkward elderly relatives. For three weeks I have been looking for a larger car to accommodate my aunts heavy wheelchair, when out yesterday we met a family who's mother was using a small motorised wheelchair. Today has been spent selecting and ordering a similar model suppose it's cheaper than a new car.  Where's the gin bottle!!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

At least you won’t need to push her around Gem.  Does your mother still trot around?  Maybe you should have ordered a tandem motorised wheelchair and send them off on their own! 

• Like 1

A lovely thought Lizzie but they would never agree on which way to go. Mum is very agile for her age only using a stick when she is tired. We live on a very steep bank I have nightmares about her free wheeling down to the harbour.

• Like 1

After an hour of 'faffing'.. I have got an internet connection of sorts..by 'tethering' my phone.  In other words.. my PC is using my phone's mobile data to connect to the internet.  This.. because my Virgin Broadband is down..again...  It's becoming a regular thing round midnight...

And then.. as if by magic... Virgin is back up again...

What fun!!

I must admit that though they're by far the fastest ISP they are, in my experience, the least reliable and fairly regularly do as you say. 

• Like 1

Living in a rural village for years I suffered slow unreliable internet. It didn’t matter who the supplier was, I tried several, the infrastructure was just not up to the job. It was terrible most of the time. However a group of fed up locals, some from the tech industry devised ‘F4RN‘, fibre for rural network. I now have a fibre connection directly to my house and have excellent fast internet.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:44 PM, Gem said:

I think I should start a topic called..awkward elderly relatives. For three weeks I have been looking for a larger car to accommodate my aunts heavy wheelchair, when out yesterday we met a family who's mother was using a small motorised wheelchair. Today has been spent selecting and ordering a similar model suppose it's cheaper than a new car.  Where's the gin bottle!!! 

Gem, have you ever considered a small trailer with a ramp? That way a heavy wheelchair could be pushed up the ramp and secured. Even an electric wheelchair could be rolled up without any pushing. Just a thought, and cheaper than a new car.

Last couple of days have been spent re-decorating the dining room.  I right royal PITA because there's a fair bit to move.  Mrs Col wasn't here and left strict instructions for me to remove assorted 'treasures' out of the dresser and wrap everything individually in bubble wrap.  Sod that.. it's only cheap old china and a few glasses. I just removed the three drawers.. all full of pointless paper etc.. and then found I could 'walk' the dresser far enough out to get to the wall. I have no patience with all this lark any more....

Also found recently that I have suddenly become hopeless at 'cutting in' between walls and ceilings. Red's suggestion last year.. of a Dulux triangular brush didn't work for me... My Brother.. who's a painter.. told me he now uses Hamilton 'sash brushes'.. which are round pointy things like artists brushes. Set of three for a bit over a tenner from Amazon.  Arrived today.. so I'll give 'em a try tomorrow and see if I can't make a better fist of the 'wall/ceiling interface'.. as we decorators call it... :rolleyes:

Anyway.. on the home straight.. most of it done and all 'stuff' back in place. about half an hour of remaining 'glosswork' tomorrow.. a bit of a play with the cutting in.. then that's it..

........until I start the living room..stairs and landing....... :Shock:

I stripped a table saw I got for the "right price" yesterday and left the arbor/cradle assembly soaking with penetrating oil last night, they were almost frozen together. These parts support the saw blade and allow it to be raised and lowered in the cast iron table.

Still pretty stiff this morning, I didn't want to exert too much pressure on them as they are cast iron and almost impossible to replace these days.

The saw table is around 30 years old and high end, ie not a DIY'selfer saw table, more in the small commercial cabinet shop line.

Been working it back and forth today, got some movement, but needs tender love and care until it frees up.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

glosswork' tomorrow

Gloss you say? Have you tried the quick drying gloss water based paints?

Did 7 doors & frames & staircase & skirting in brilliant high gloss beginning of the years no yellowing or smell.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, carni said:

Hope the fish are biting today PP. We have had many happy times cycling at Carsington Water, also Rutland Water. Enjoy your day.

Caught nowt and got cold with the relentless rain. Packed up at 2.30. I must take a bike up there one day. May even take the Village Cruiser (see avatar) up there for a rowing session around the perimeter. 

• Like 1