• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Chez Brew is undergoing a rather extensive refurb at the moment, it's true' fings aint wot they used ter be'. Mostly small details I grant, but a general lack of attention to detail seems quite commonplace now...

• Like 1

We have had the same or similar problem with a gas company. We have GPL( I know it’s different in uk but that’s what it is here) Years ago they installed a pellet stove which was fine until , My son and his family came to live upstairs. The house has 11 rooms and we only need a small ground apartment We divided the house so that we were all independent. The only thing that couldn’t be separated was the water supply but we found a way to make it work without any distress.  We have the stoves serviced regularly but everytime they come they have to return because either they’ve left a valve open or something doesn’t work. We got really fed up with them so we found a plumber of the old fashioned type . He’s very reliable and gets the job done and we have no more problems. We have a large room at the back of the house that was once a courtyard . It’s always cold in there as it faces north so the original plumber installed a tall radiator . It never worked and the ideas they had was to take the water supply from somewhere and put copper pipes practically half way through the house to make the radiator work. We said “ No way” Then they said we’ll put a small valve and then it will work . It didn’t. We left it for a while and told the new plumber about it . At once he knew what the problem was , fitted something and it works a treat. The original plumbers are a big firm of gas fitters and plumbers but aren’t worth  anything. Yesterday our hot water was non existent we called him and he fitted an expansion tank to replace the one that was leaking. He returned today to check the pressure . Everything is fine and he even accepted the offer of a coffee. He sat down with my husband and has a good memory jog of their childhood ( both Sicilian). The young ones have no patience. 

• Like 1

Had message left in my office in Moxley West Midlands......52 years ago today'''''

Paul (Ben)..wife had 3 babies...Ward one........City Hospital........

20 years ago today........Had 'Heart Attack''' up the Derbyshire Hills....

Wonder what today will bring?

Might stop in....:)

• Like 3
19 hours ago, The Engineer said:

What about the small metal plate that is integral part of the installation?  If the fitter did not install as per manufacturer's instructions, he probably needs reporting to Gas Safe.

Did he leave the installation and servicing manuals with you (as should be the case)?

He left the 'Use, Installation and Servicing Instructions', Manufacturers Warranty Registration Card etc., but none of the details such as installation date, Gas Safe Reg No. etc., are completed in the Instructions, though to be scrupulously fair, maybe he intended to do that on his return.

Re: the 'cover plate'.  At present, without any 'disassembly', I'm pretty sure I can see where it goes. It's maybe not critical, but if it's meant to be there, it's meant to be there. I reckon it's designed to stop bits of the 'fuel bed' falling in around the valve and a small electrical switch. ( The whole thing is remote controlled and as far as I understand so far, the switch is for disabling the whole battery operated remote control system in an emergency.) .There is a small lift off metal 'grid' either side of the burner and fuel bed, i.e., on extreme left and extreme right of the fire box. The Left one contains the remote control gizmos and batteries. The Right one contains the gas inlet, pressure test point and emergency 'off' switch. The cover plate goes under that grid and over the gas inlet elbow.. I think.

Full instructions for removal and replacement of the 'fuel bed' are included in the User Instructions, so I'll do that when the replacement cover arrives tomorrow. and see what I can see. The 'fuel bed' comprises several numbered 'logs', made of refractory material, which have to be placed in a specific order over the burner, along with a load of smaller 'gravel', and some bits of 'slate', all made of the same stuff..and finally, some fake pine cones, which neither me nor Mrs Col much like, as they seem a bit incongruous. But, I'm assured by the manufacturer that they are not necessary to the functioning of the appliance, and are purely decorative, so can be left off.

The supplier is still 'on the case', so I'm making it his responsibility to ensure that I end up with all relevant documentation etc., properly signed off.

P.S.  Regarding the Emmet Clock.. Did the relevant 'authorities' ever provide an explanation as to why it was moved from its popular 'Prime' position?

In other news.. My youngest Daughter came over with her little dog, and our youngest grandchild 'Soleil', yesterday, to spend the afternoon in our garden. Her partner was working..  It's hardly the Hanging Gardens of Babylon..but at least it gets the Sun.  It was lovely to see them. 

Also a couple of days ago, Mrs Col's cousin posted a video on Facebook, of her Son (i.e. Mrs. Col's nephew) executing a perfect landing after piloting his first Jet 2 flight from Palma into Manchester.  A very proud moment.  He's a lad who started out his working life as a joiner, but fell off some scaffolding and broke both legs.  After recovering, he set about learning to fly, got all of the relevant 'tickets' and then set about getting into commercial passenger flying.  He was all set to start 'Type' training with some company, just as Covid kicked in and went back temporarily to Joinery to make ends meet and fund his pilot training. After Covid, he worked for a while piloting 'survey' aircraft..then a spell with 'Wizz Air' and now 'Jet 2'.  You have to admire his determination.

• Like 4

Food, heard this morning that my sisters in law are going into Asti to see the Sagra. It’s a food fair, procession of all the ancient agricultural ways of growing , preparing etc of food then there are stalls selling food. My sister in law said she was wanted to eat some donkey meat. I’ve eaten it before and even eaten sausages made from the meat. It was good. It was popular a few years ago but we don’t hear much about it now.

You’ve got to admire him for that effort. Getting a full commercial licence is an expensive and lengthy exercise. British Airways used to have their own training school at Hamble where you could apply to join the course. I applied after turning down my place at dental school when realising I didn’t want to spend my working life looking down people’s throats. I failed my eyesight test even though I didn’t wear specs at the time. That’s why I became a Chartered Accountant! I gave that up when I went into industry and gravitated towards the technical side. Mechanical and electrical engineering had always been an interest and I had studied the sciences at A level. I did get my pilot’s licence in my 30’s but never wanted to pursue a flying career as some of my fellow trainees did. I did get to fly around Europe but at my own expense! Day trips to Le Touquet were always very popular.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Getting a full commercial licence is an expensive and lengthy exercise.

Last time I looked it's well into five figures.

I used to share the cost of flying with a colleague but he eventually gained his commercial and started as a first for Ryan, a company he couldn't get away from fast enough, but at least gained experience. As far as I know he was in debt for quite awhile.

• Like 1
On 9/9/2023 at 3:37 PM, Brew said:

Mostly small details I grant, but a general lack of attention to detail seems quite commonplace now...

Today we discovered the new vanity sink leaks, the concrete pad in the utility doesn't seem to be drying and the walkway to the back door (it runs over a drain), is wet. I initially blamed the window cleaner - but nope twert 'im.

Words will be said on the morrow.

Getting a private pilot's licence is going to cost around £8,000 now. I used to see lots of light aircraft around but there are very few now. What seems to be popular is parachuting. Langar appears to be operating three Cessna Caravans on a regular basis. They come this way to gain height over Syerston before dropping over Langar at 14,000 feet.

• Like 1

Our old next door neighbour’s Dad, George Ward, owned a flying school at Cranfield in Beds.  His son, our neighbour, learned to fly there and was a Commercial pilot until a couple of years ago ….. he doesn’t need to work with the inheritance he got from his parents.  Absolutely wonderful and unbelievably generous family, we were treated to days out at lots  of sporting events, racecourses, Wimbledon, cricket and football and George even booked an entire Ryanair flight to Biarritz to take us all to one of their family weddings in Santander and paid for all the rooms at the hotel.  Lovely man.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

They come this way to gain height over Syerston before dropping over Langar at 14,000 feet.

Rarely, if ever, have taken it to  that height and as for jumping out!?  forget it. We did once take jumpers up in a balloon for DFS at Darley Dale, seeing the speed they achieved when they let got convinced me never to try it...

I recently looked at an Aston, and struggled. Even the Merc at times is starting to be a bit of a challenge. Neither of them are anywhere near as difficult to climb in as a Morgan, climbing out is worse! Perhaps it's best it remains a pipedream.

• Upvote 2

I have had problems with getting in and out of cars, that I liked, for years , I finally had to accept my limitations and purchased a SUV. Its so much easier on your body, it may not be the car you really liked but life is so much easier on your body. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 years today since I married the first mrs. Loppy,  at Gedling church, Sept 11 1965.  When we chose the date we had no idea what would happen in the USA in 2001.  Unfortunate because that is now a painful reminder of the day.  We had a happy marriage until she died of a heart attack on March 6 1999 three days after a car accident in which a guy ran a stop sign and hit her as she was driving home from my daughters.  After two years of living alone with my dog I met the second Mrs Loppy through a widow/widowers support group.  Her husband had died of a heart attack a year earlier.  Subsequently I moved to the USA where I still am.  As two widowed people we understand each other and happily have photos of former spouses around and can talk about them.  I am not telling you this to get sympathy posts it is just cathartic to write about it.  I am blessed to have had two happy marriages and now two dogs.  Life has some interesting twists and turns.  79 in another month, where did it all go?  If you want to ask questions thats ok Can't guarantee an answer. I might have forgotten I made this post.  :biggrin:

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

I agree Loppy that writing your feelings down can be very therapeutic.  Some may just write a narrative,  others find poetry expresses their feelings better.  It’s good that you can say you have had 2 good marriages and that you and your present wife can also talk about your past marriages.  You are right that life has lots of twists and turns, but like you, i believe  God has it all in his hands and however much we don’t understand why certain things happen to us, he does and can bring good out of it often in unexpected ways.

Thanks for sharing this on here x

I know there are a vast amount of bad things that happen in our troubled world, both natural disasters and those caused by humans, but I still believe that God can bring some good from them.  

I realise many of you will disagree but this is what I truly believe.

You married young, didn’t you Loppy :) !

• Like 3

Yes, I did marry young.  I was 20, she was 19.  Heard afterwards some at our wedding said it would not last because were too young.  Fooled 'em didn't we?  Age no problem if genuine love exists.  Thanks Margie.  1st. Thessalonians 4:13 to end.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Life has some interesting twists and turns.  

...and you seem to have had quite a few, but you've managed to take the rough with the smooth and come out happy and able to talk about it. Long may you continue.

A good lesson in how to deal with downturns and look on the bright side of things.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Puppy love? Sorry, couldn't resist that one, Loppy :rolleyes:

True Jill.  Wouldn't marry anyone who didn't love all animals, especially dogs.  Present mrs L and I getting a bit long in the tooth to handle our two now, and they know it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1