How's your day?

Hey Loppy, you married a week after me. We were wed on the 4th. St.Marthas church , Broxtowe. As I worked for NCT at the time, I hired a double decker to take our non driving guests to the reception dinner at Co-op Elizabethan rooms. Because I was a driver, I was asked if I would like to drive the bus with new wife in bridal gown on the platform at the back, as a publicity stunt. Having booked a posh wedding car, I politely declined, saying I was off duty.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

A very Happy Anniversary to loppylugs 2 wifes. Not forgetting our friend  Beekay and her indoors,

Well you both beat me to the church, 

When I married master I was 19 and he was 23 comments from folk you'r much too young, 

Here we are Goose Fair Saturday October 9th 1965 time 3 00
Forest playing at home.

1965 was a very good year for all

• Like 2

Today I will embark on a Mighty and Noble Quest! 

This is a quest which has grown in stature over many years, and has thus also been years in the planning....

But today..

I'm going to start clearing my garage!!

Wish me luck..:laugh:

I think you may get lots of stuff out, sort through it nostalgically, put it back in the box and later in the day put it back in the garage, comforting yourself that you’ve done the first step and will decide what to do with it another day …..

or you might get too much out at once and halfway through trying to sort it, start to wish you’d never started!

• Like 1

It's complicated Margie.. 

Lot's of stuff is just tools which need putting back into their proper places.. All my fault, although I'm beginning to wonder whether I still need a load of 50 year+ old and worn spanners etc., which I used to use on cars and motorbikes. I don't do such work these days.

Lots is stuff which comes under the heading of 'TARDIS FILLER'. in other words stuff which Mrs Col has declared .. "That can go in the garage", when I've responded.. "It needs to go, and the Garage isn't a TARDIS!!! " only to decide it's just easier to comply....

The rest is stuff belonging to one or other daughter.  Daughter insists she no longer wants it, but Mrs Col insists much of it is 'Good Stuff'. Either way.. just chucking it out is more than I dare do...

I see a few days of intense negotiations ahead....

It's a daunting prospect.

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Lot's of stuff is just tools which need putting back into their proper places.. All my fault, although I'm beginning to wonder whether I still need a load of 50 year+ old and worn spanners etc.,

I still have my dad's toolbox and many of the tools in it. They get used occasionally, but it's mainly a source of nostalgia.

There are hammers and screwdrivers and spanners in there which are older than me. I learned on them when I was a kid.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

It's a daunting prospect

As a male pf the species you know, deep, and at times, not so deep, in your psyche the battle is already lost.

Several things are against you:

The realisation that the self-losing tools have been found, they were quite expensive at the time so must be saved.  

Items long sought for a use long gone, but may come again, should also be saved.

Those small reminders of a youth and times past that don't really take up that much room anyway.

The futility of creating usable space knowing full well the first universal l law of junk will apply - Junk will expand to fill available space.

The second law of junk - There will always be stuff that may come in handy.

The implacable will of the female will always prevail.

You're a brave man and may be gone for some time, we wish you well...   

• Like 2

About twenty years ago, I was asked to clear the garage of a recently-deceased friend. He’d been a planner for BT before retirement, designing phone systems for large businesses.

Simple job, I thought, until the door was opened. His garage was literally piled to the roof with stuff he’d bought for jobs around the house, most of it still in packaging. Turned out that he’d decide on doing a job, plan it all out, buy the tools, then forget about it for reasons which later became clear*.

In all, there were 26 drills, ranging from cheap battery drills up to DeWalt SDS, half a dozen electric saws, ten trestle tables, and loads of other stuff. He must have spent thousands.

* Also found were at least thirty empty vodka bottles he’d hidden from his wife.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Simple job, I thought, until the door was opened. His garage was literally piled to the roof with stuff he’d bought for jobs around the house, most of it still in packaging

Similar with my dad, it was impossible to get in once the door was forced open. We had to hire a grab lorry to it away, shed included.

SIMPLE     DJ360

Have a Garage Sale 

Then by the other half a nice bunch of roses !! 

I was having problems this morning when my printer would only print out half a page. I deleted it from the Mac and reinstalled the software Still the same problem. I was contemplating a trip to Currys this afternoon as the Canon printer must be well over seven years old. The old adage occurred to me. ‘Disconnect the power, wait one minute and turn it back on again’. It worked!! I’ve been working with and around computers for over 60 years and still some things never fail to amaze me!

• Like 1

My first Apple computer was demonstrated to me at the factory in around 1978 by George Hemsley of Parr Computer Services. Apple II Europlus I believe. You will obviously remember those days Katy! It came with the very first spreadsheet program, VisiCalc. I was absolutely astounded with what it could do and how much time it could save me. I wouldn’t let him take it back and bought it straight away. I’ve been a Mac user ever since with the occasional dabble into Microsoft to run flight simulator. Currently I’m running a Mac Mini powering two screens. My current set up is total overkill as I also use an iPad, a MacBook Air and and iPhone. I’ve not done a spreadsheet in years. I guess I just love gadgets!

I had a tablet for years used it a lot and one day it had failed, no display, wouldn't respond to any stimulus so I bought a new one. And then a week later I discovered that plugging the old one in to the charger and charging it up revived it no end, still using it. Don't know where my genius comes from.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

I had a tablet for years used it a lot and one day it had failed, no display, wouldn't respond to any stimulus so I bought a new one. And then a week later I discovered that plugging the old one in to the charger and charging it up revived it no end, still using it. Don't know where my genius comes from.

In a similar vein..  Whilst attempting to clear my garage.. I came across a small cheap electric screwdriver, in a fabric case. Mrs Col bought it in Lidl when my previous one began to suffer from a fading battery.  I gave the old one to my daughter and her partner, (who are STILL using it several years on) ..and the new one took its place.

I liked the new one. It was some obscure never heard of brand from the far east, but it worked, was controllable etc.  Then one day it started to go very wrong..the gearbox inside sounded like the proverbial 'bag of spanners' and it wouldnt turn screws.  So it went onto a shelf in the garage and was replaced by a Bosch 'Ixo' range jobbie from Screwfix.  I don't like it.  It works, and is powerful, but it has no graduated speed control and is either 'full belt' or nothing..

So.. the Lidl cheapy.. remember that?  I opened the fabric case and took it out.  I was musing on keeping the few screwdriver bits and the charger that came with it, and 'chucking' the rest, when to my amazement, I found it was still fully charged after several years and it worked perfectly!

Go figure!  .... as our 'Mericun cousins say...

I have found that with all electronics failing switch it off at the plug , remove the plug , then swear and threaten it and leave it for 5 minutes for it to consider its fate finally switch it back on and normally it works OK.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

when to my amazement, I found it was still fully charged after several years and it worked perfectly!

A perfect example of the second universal law of junk.

Another universal law of junk concerns items which you have lying around for many years and never use.

Eventually you admit it's useless rubbish and you finally get rid of it.

Within a week, you'll have found a use for it and wish you'd kept it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

At midday more or less we in Piemonte received an alert message . Only a notice about an early warning system that is now in use. Our phones rang a strange sound and this notice appeared. In view of all the disasters in the world in case we have any imminent dangers all phones will be alerted as long as info has been given by going online to compile a questionnaire. In view of  everything that is happening I think it’s a good thing. 
We are getting concerned about all the immigration boats coming in to Lampedusa. It’s only a small island and up to now immigrants have been welcomed with open arms but now it’s getting too much. The other day there were 6000 immigrants plus odd small boats with 100 Persons  on board. Yesterday the new immigrants and the ones that have been there a while were fighting. There is only a certain amount of things that the island can do but those people coming in expect to be housed immediately.  France and Germany won’t accept anyone so where do they all go? It’s heartbreaking to see them getting off the boats. They are overcrowded with men, woman and children including pregnant women and small babies. One of which fell into the water and drowned. It takes a whole lot of courage to set out on a voyage such as this but when they arrive they expect to be fed and housed. How can a small island do all this. The Italian govt is trying to stop this or at least find a solution.  One immigrant gave an interview and told of his experience. He wasn’t allowed to take anything with him and was forbidden to board if had eaten in the last 24 hours. They are packed like sardines into boats that aren’t really sea worthy and many have lost their lives. The boat owners come and go and the poor people who are expecting a better life paying up to 3000$ + come to be joined by others who all expect better things but unfortunately it’s not all roses when the land.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Another universal law of junk concerns items which you have lying around for many years and never use.

Eventually you admit it's useless rubbish and you finally get rid of it.

Within a week, you'll have found a use for it and wish you'd kept it.

Which is the third universal  law.

The fourth law states : That which is disposed of  and subject the the third law will be manufactured from unobtainium and therefore irreplaceable.

• Like 1

I was always impressed by the effectiveness of the screen wash pump on one of many Simca 1100s I had in the 70s. I kept one on a shelf and last year, it finally came in useful for pumping out excess oil from my daughter's car. I keep forgetting to flush it clean with some solvent or other, then just detergent, so it can go back on the shelf for another 40+ years...