How's your day?

11 hours ago, loppylugs said:

79, can't believe it.  Gonna need more Bob Martins powders.  As they say in the Sahth ere.  "Ya as owd as dirt."

Happy belated from me too Loppy....

79 HEY.....I'm only a few months behind you.....i also cant believe it...often look round whereever i am and realise i'm the oldest..........but neh mind...just keep on Dancing...:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Another belated from me Loppy. Keep on keeping on!

This ageing thing is an interesting phenomi...phenonimi.. err thing...

I mean..I'm only 74 and 3/4....but I do find that people generally  treat me differently  now..a bit more considerate etc.

I find the crutches..and an expression of dignified but mildly hopeless resilience in the face of pain and infirmity, draw sympathetic admiration.

Even more remarkable considering I only look about 35...:rolleyes:

• Like 6

Happy belated Loppy, but I beat you by a year. I'll be 80 on the 23rd.

once got off the Lewes bus where I live and while waiting to cross the road, a pretty young lady stopped her car and beckoned me across the road with a smile and gentle wave. I suddenly felt very old.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Another belated from me Loppy. Keep on keeping on!

This ageing thing is an interesting phenomi...phenonimi.. err thing...

I mean..I'm only 74 and 3/4....but I do find that people generally  treat me differently  now..a bit more considerate etc.

I find the crutches..and an expression of dignified but mildly hopeless resilience in the face of pain and infirmity, draw sympathetic admiration.

Even more remarkable considering I only look about 35...:rolleyes:

Agreed DJ.

Never been referred to as the Late Loppy before.  Bit scary for an old dog.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Happy (belated) birthday Loppy, I'm in the same decade! Here's a little something to have with your morning coffee.

I recall playing that for an Associated Board exam at some point.  I generally like Mr Schiff's work but that is a tad on the romantic side for me.

7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Even more remarkable considering I only look about 35...

After all the adventures about knees you've regaled us with,  not once have you mentioned a problem with your eyes..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Brew I too have bought from Temu and yes the goods are mostly Chinese , some good some bad and some to throw away. I have found many household items that I’ve never seen anywhere and albeit Chinese they are well made. A lot depends what you order.  I saw a jacket and a jumper I liked but was hesitant about ordering them . In the end I did order , the jumper is beautiful and comfortable at only €4. The jacket went back and waited for a refund which arrived immediately. Another cardigan similar to the jumper was too big so asked for refund but they said “ keep it” so I did but it still doesn’t fit me. I think that it doesn’t pay them to send unwanted items back. Anyway I like it but as you say they push too much but at least you can block them.

4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Never been referred to as the Late Loppy before.  Bit scary for an old dog.  :biggrin:

You are not old Loppy you are a mature gentleman and happy birthday to you albeit very late. We are all getting there , some quicker than others but we are a good stock. 

• Like 1

Belated Happy Birthday Loppy, unfortunately I’m not up to the pace here as we’re away in Zanzibar, time difference and other stuff means I don’t even know what day it is.  Hope you’ve had a lovely birthday and will enjoy the last year of your 70s!!  
Tomorrow my husband will be 80 years old.  My God …… how did that happen?   Our youngest son is out here in Tanzania and has arranged a day of surprises for his Dad. Unfortunately that means getting up at before 6am tomorrow so I’d better get to sleep now!  

• Like 1

Yesterday my  son and his wife decided to take their new motor home for a run and the wife and myself were to go with them, in we climbed on, accompanied with their baby donkey, sorry dog, its a big 6 berth van. Off we set it was 10.30 to Scarborough 15  minutes up the M1 it is changed to Cleethorpes, now I can remember the name from my childhood I think we went on train, but that is about it. No fun seat belted in the back but other wise an uneventful journey on arrival where do you park such a large van but we were lucky we parked on the sea front and straight onto the beach.

Looking around I can see why Cleethorpes is not mentioned very often, it must have been a nice place years ago but it is in need of major investment, the dog enjoyed himself chasing sticks on the beach while we wandered along to the Pier for the compulsory fish ,chips and peas which where very nice well worth the journey. Then back along the beach the dog chasing sticks again, doesnt he ever get tired . Back into the van and home the bloody dog sleeps all the way back but I cannot get comfortable in these seats  they may be ok for sitting on and eating or for making into a bed but not for belted in traveling. 

Arrived home he drove onto my drive and a by the way dad we are keeping it here it has now been confirmed to my neighbours I have lost my mind have a motorhome.  Any body else been to Cleethorpes if so what do they think of the place, I feel that I have missed out by not visiting the place for decades.

• Like 2

First time we went up that way back in the mid 70s, 'er indoors and I decided we would have a weekend away while our son was on a trip with school. Did'nt fancy Skeggy so we drove up the coast and Cleethorpes being the first port of call to look for b+b, but when we got there we just drove straight through without stopping. Finished up in Scarborough, in a room overlooking the main cricket ground, which was nice. As the owners were a bit quiet, they gave us their 'bridal suite. After that trip we had many successful trips up there. Never went back to Cleethorpes except to do deliveries when I worked for SPD.

We went to Cleethorpes a few years ago. There’s not a lot see apart from the muddy Humber estuary. It does make Skegness look a bit like Monte Carlo though. I once fancied a motor home when the children were young but the problem in this country is you just can’t  park them anywhere you fancy and you have to pre book a site where you’re stuck with a load of other motor homes. There’s always lots for sale at the dealers at Gunthorpe and Newark so somebody must buy them. I once knew the chap who owned Brownhills at Newark and he showed me round an enormous Winnebago which was an absolute luxury machine. Not to be taken down narrow country lanes though!

We went to Cleethorpes for a weeks holiday somewhere around 1963-64.

I don't remember anything about the place, except that in those days Grimsby (next one along) was still a major port, so there was an endless stream of large cargo ships/tankers etc passing by, just off the coast.

I’ve never been to Cleethorpes and didnt go  to Skeggy until I was 17 and belonged to a hiking club. We had our honeymoon in Scarborough , as kids we stayed in a chalet in Cayton Bay.

Our friends have a motor home and go away every weekend. A few years ago they came to visit and parked not far from us in an agriturismo and van park. Everything was fine until they were leaving and caught the roof on an angle they hadn’t seen The van was new so lots of disappointment. I’m afraid now a days I like my comfort. I spent my childhood camping in a tent. My dad was a scout master and didn’t believe in hotels.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

I’m afraid now a days I like my comfort

Same here Nonna  a comfortable bed is essential for me as well, I would never dream of staying over night in a motor home, touring maybe but in a car and hotels at night, around the Med is favourite though.

I've known people buy both motor homes and caravans but they soon got rid when they discovered they just couldn't park anywhere other than on a site with a prearranged booking. Its probably easier on the wide open spaces of the continent but not in this overpopulated island.

Went camping with the cubs and scouts at Walesby in my later teenage years i slept in a tent at some camp and caravan site at Mablethorpe i dont know if it would be safe doing that today probably wake up and the tent would have disappeared, these days i prefer a nice hotel room but they were great memories.

My parents used to camp when I was a baby. They had a tandem and side car. Guess who for ? Think we must have toured the whole of the lakes.

We used to camp a lot as kids.. Mostly Derbyshire especially  Edale area. Later as a young married bloke I'd camp when on caving trips in Yorks or Somerset.

I'm  re-living those days right now at home... flippin' freezing and no facilities. Boiler is dead and I'm getting  a new one fitted Monday.

Managed to shave and wash hair on one kettleful of hot water, then took a bath in another kettleful before heroically rinsing off arms and legs under cold shower, but drew the line st the rest of me, especially  with my ticker.. so final rinse in another kettleful. 

Surprising what you can do when you have no choice...:blink:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2