How's your day?

Trogg, I figure being realistic, at 80, would I get my moneys worth. Hopefully I'll get me telegram. It's only 20 years away.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Ooh Trogg that’s not good, hope you’re better soon. We’re off to Tenerife on the 29th, apart from face masks any tips? We’re staying on the north of the island and have never been before.

understand cigs are pretty cheap over there fellow smoker. 

13 hours ago, MRS B said:

We’re staying on the north of the island and have never been before.

Hi I have never stopped in the North but I have driven up there, the north tends to be a bit cooler but still is hot, the landscape is a lot greener than the south.  If you have the chance go up Mount Tedi you will need some warm clothes with you as there is normally snow up there . As the island is duty free cigs and alcohol is cheap, but this time we brought ours on the plane going out and coming back, electricals perfume etc is also cheap. As for face masks I have always been a believer in them and still wear them when near crowds shopping etc but this time they seem to have failed me. I feel sure you will enjoy your selves there.

Ooh thanks Trogg, looking forward to it. The weather forecast looks good.

21 hours ago, trogg said:

am never going on a plane again, so much for my belief in wearing face masks.

Pleased to hear you are both recovered and I have good news. The incubation period for covid is about five days so it's a fair bet you were lolling on sunbed pretending not to look or imbibing in some bar when you became infected. Safe to say I think the plane or airport are not to blame in this instance,,,

Morning!

I was in Nottm over the weekend visiting my brother but mainly, to meet up with with an old friend who was a neighbour, and a school buddy through Henry Whipple and then HP. We haven't seen each other since at least 1970, but more likely 1968. over half a century ago.  Rich is now living in Cornwall.  We had a really good natter for about 3 hours.  Our Ben may remember his family. Chambers', at 28 Southglade.

Selfie here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5t3ACEaoXc6Z6kN6

Anyway..we met at the Griffin's Head in Papplewick. First time I've ever been in there. When I went in I told the bar girl that I was meeting an old friend who I grew up with in the area. .. She said I didn't sound like a local so I mentioned that my Great, Great Grandad is planted in the church yard at St Marks, Bestwood about a mile down the road, that my male antecedents from around 1870 onwards were all born in Bestwood and that my maternal Grandparents lived just the other side of the Leen near Moorbridge. She agreed that I was local. :)

I thought the food was OK by the way, for Pub food,  Not spectacular, but none is these days..but certainly no worse than other places we've met. We sat near the bar though it wasn't busy and I didn't really explore bigger tables. We could maybe add to the possibles for our Meet Ups list. It sounds remote but is easy to access  especially for drivers, and it is close to at least one bus route.

Another couple of us in our Wolf Cubs outfits from the late 1950s.. A lifetime ago and another world..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ynW5BZKkyAvqgGjb7

This one, by coincidence we met up outside High Pavement but before we went there..  I don't remember where we were going.. Richard extreme left and me hiding behind him. I can't name any of the others:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9SpGPoHVX9RfiHxB6

And finally a Birthday Party pic. I'm guessing around 1956..ish:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TVMbgRBFjnHP78nB9

Top, Sheila Wakefield holding Richard's younger sister Judith

Next row from left.. John Barlow, Reggie Wakefield, Harold Bramley

Bottom row from left.. me hiding again just behind Richard, then it's Richard, Gerald Sanders, Ray Hollifield and Dave Armstrong.

That's the core of our 'gang' right there and only broken up a bit by secondary school when John, Richard, Dave and I went to HP and the others I think to Padstow.

P.S. @Cliff Ton. if you know how to get the pics 'in line', please feel free.

• Like 2
On 2/10/2024 at 7:54 PM, trogg said:

I am never going on a plane again, so much for my belief in wearing face masks.

Mick, I sympathise as I'm pretty sure I acquired Covid on my flight out for a Canaries cruise last Feb. I wasn't wearing a mask. Thing is I don't think basic masks offer much protection from airborne virus that's already there. My understanding is that they are thought to reduce transmission by people who are already infected, maybe asymptomatically, by trapping a lot of droplets they might otherwise be spraying about.

You may recall that a couple of weeks back I described a fiasco of a 'Targeted Lung Health Check', which left me with 14 hours of very unpleasant and potentially dangerous side effects from Ventolin as well as feeling rough for days.  I put in an email complaint and after a week had heard nothing until I realised the message had bounced back into my spam folder due to an incorrect address. So. I sent it again.. with a corrected address.  It did not bounce back.

...One week later, still no response, so I sent another message threatening to raise my issues to a formal complaint to the QCC if no response within 24 hours.

I almost immediately got a reply claiming that my email was never received.  Odd that, because it didn't bounce back and neither did my ultimatum, but I can't prove anything.  The person asked me to forward my complaint again, which I did, whereupon she told me it wasn't her remit, but she'd forwarded it to the person responsible for Spirometry and I'd hear within 'a few days'.

8 days later and still nothing..., so I'll be chasing that up.. again...

Meanwhile Mrs Col went to her Targeted Lung Health Check this morning.  Halfway through, the CT scanner failed and they have had to send for someone 'from the midlands' to fix it.  Meanwhile, as she was having her Spirometry tests... loads of alarms went off, so that they had to wait around ten minutes for someone to figure out how to cancel the alarms before they could carry on.  Isn't Privatisation wonderful?

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

P.S. @Cliff Ton. if you know how to get the pics 'in line', please feel free.

It's because you're using the Google system, which doesn't really work here. Do you have an account with Postimage/Imgur/etc ?

On a few days break in Hayling Island at a Warners camp, arrived in beautiful sunshine on Monday but it's not stopped raining since,at least the snap is good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I first went to the Griffins Head at Papplewick in 1964 when i was a member of the MGO rally club we used the field at the side of the pub as an obstacle course as part of the rally. Just down the road in Linby is or was a nice pub called the Royal Oak visited these pubs quite a few times in the 60s. Glad the Griffins Head is going still going dont know what the barmaid would think to my accent certainly not local.

I was driving an MG in ‘64 but was not a member of the MGOC. The car was a 1947 TC which I virtually rebuilt and resprayed. I’ve since rebuilt a Morgan 4/4 and built a Caterham 7 from a kit. Long gone now though.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

I first went to the Griffins Head at Papplewick in 1964 when i was a member of the MGO rally club we used the field at the side of the pub as an obstacle course as part of the rally. Just down the road in Linby is or was a nice pub called the Royal Oak visited these pubs quite a few times in the 60s. Glad the Griffins Head is going still going dont know what the barmaid would think to my accent certainly not local.

Hi Ian can you remember were  The Royal Oak pub was ?  as the only one that  i know in Linby Is the Horse n Grome. 

Hi Mary you are right sorry it is the Horse and Groom i am getting mixed up with the Royal Oak pub at Watnall and then there is the Horse and Groom at Moorgreen is the Horse and Groom still there at Linby? It seems a life time ago i was there.

A friend of mine had a 1948 MGTC he was quite a flamboyant chap he was the leader of the young conservatives who held there meetings at the Three Ponds pub in Nuthall they nicknamed him the Earl of Bestwood his real name was John Fawcett this was back in 1964.

I too was a Young Conservative. I’ve met John Fawcett way back. We were the Trent Valley group and met in the Bromley Arms tearoom on a Monday evening. I was treasurer and my wife to be was the secretary. It was more social than political back in those days.

Thats interesting phil it is a small world those meetings were social and relaxing back then even those old cars were full of intrigue i started out with a 1938 Morris 8 series 2 wish i still had it.

We have just got back from an epic valentines champagne afternoon tea on Great Central. I couldn’t fault it in any way. So much cake we brought some home with us.

nice to do something a bit different.