How's your day?

I enjoyed reading your account, Col.  Climbing hills and surveying the view from the top is always quite a spiritual experience for me.  I’ve frequently been moved to tears when I’ve climbed some hills in Derbyshire in the past.  I particularly remember this In Castleton one beautiful day  when all the family had gone into Treak Cliff Cavern and I climbed higher with the dog.  Just sitting on the grass looking over the village was very special…

• Like 4
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Love that Margie.

And every year I promise I'll drive Mrs Col and our best friends to Treak Cliff for a nosey.. and so far it hasn't happened...

Maybe this year.

• Upvote 1

Col, as someone with an excellent camera why no pics?

Fair question.

I have two excellent cameras, my Canon 450 D SLR and my Panasonic Lumix TZ200 compact. The former, with more than one lens,is a bit heavy. The latter is very capable, if you can penetrate the mysteries of the menu..which I'm a bit foxed by.

I have a Nikon Coolpix, P610 bridge camera with built in zoom. It's probably been superseded by now. It was recommended to me by my old schoolfriend Prof. Malcolm Peaker FRS, a prominent zoologist. He was always a keen photographer back in the old schooldays. He's travelled the world photographing wildlife and was, for a brief period, director of London Zoo. Can't get a better recommendation than that! It's an excellent camera but I seldom use as my iPhone is always in my pocket. Incidentally I bumped into a local villager who was going birdwatching at Attenborough nature reserve this morning. I said 'I've  been there', he asked 'what did you see?'. 'Nothing', I replied, 'It was at night!' 

The menu nowadays is more or less redundant if you use photo editing software. lots are free. 

Not a good day for UK. Just watched the video of Princess Kate. Brave to post it now people will stop to say their pieces on her health.

I feel very sorry for the poor woman. The way the press and social media have behaved is nothing short of disgusting. Would these people like their intimate health issues posted all over scurrilous social media sites for people with nothing better to do to gossip about?  Leave her alone and let her get well.  I know there are many who never seem to cease axe-grinding about the royals and their supposedly privileged lives. Cancer is no respecter of rank or privilege.  The poor girl would probably happily exchange her royal abode for a two up, two down ... and a cancer free body.  I wish her a swift recovery and hope that her children are not lying awake at night worrying about losing their mother.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Well said Jill its absolutely terrible the way she has been treated when nobody knew what was wrong.

As we all know the MSM abhors a vacuum and will fill it with any old rubbish, supposition, conjecture, and blatant lies to fabricate a story and get readers to click on them or buy a paper.

No-one royalty or otherwise deserves cancer, I hope she and Chiller both make a full recovery.

17 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Not a good day for UK. Just watched the video of Princess Kate. Brave to post it now people will stop to say their pieces on her health.

I also wish her well.

Absolutely not surprised that the lass has had a Cancer diagnosis. She's always been skinny, but the brief shots of her at a Farm Shop last week showed her looking even more so.  I'm pretty indifferent about the Monarchy as an institution, but she's just a nice upper middle class girl who found herself at Uni with a very eligible bachelor and accepted his offer. Could happen to anyone....:rolleyes:

On 3/22/2024 at 11:51 PM, DJ360 said:

I 'summitted' mighty Billinge Hill, via the North Eastern route recently opened up.

Sounds like an Everest ascent up the South Col. Did you take your ice axe and crampons?

I was curious about Billing Hill and found there were two. One near St Helens and one near Blackburn?

According to Wiki the one near Blackburn is the tallest at 807 feet whilst the one near St Helens is only 507 feet high. 

I'd not heard of the one at Blackburn, but the the only time I go to Blackburn  is on the way to Burnley. Obviously  their hill is a copy but I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

There's also a place called Billinge in Staffordshire.. another fake.. :laugh: but it would be interesting to discover the etymolgy of the name Billinge.

https://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Billinge

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Brew said:

15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'd not heard of the one at Blackburn, but the the only time I go to Blackburn  is on the way to Burnley. Obviously  their hill is a copy but I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

There's also a place called Billinge in Staffordshire.. another fake.. :laugh: but it would be interesting to discover the etymolgy of the name Billinge.

https://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Billinge

Yes but why did they build what looks like a public toilet at the top of the hill?

It was originally  built as a Summer House by the Winstanley family who owned the area. It used to have a pyramid shaped roof. But as long as I've known it it has had windows and doors blocked, presumably  to stop scallies from setting up in there.

There is a lot of 'proper' graffiti on there, initials form the early 20th  C, including some from US servicemen, presumably  based at Burtonwood during WW2.

• Like 1

My day was going well to start with I loaded my car up and went to the local recycling centre ,I started unloading my car and walking to the first skip and a young gentleman took the items off me and put them into the skip for me, thanked him and went back to my car. Here I took out a bag of tarmac which had hardened off years ago a man came up to me and took it off me, stating thats too heavy for you let me do it, again I thanked him and went home.

When I arrived home I told the wife about it and that I had been helped by 2 very polite men,  I then thought do I really look that old and incapable or was I lucky to meet 2 pleasant and helpful men within minutes.

• Like 4

Trogg our tip is like that the smaller bags like garden rubbish is diy but the heavier ones are either taken from us or carried away to a special corner( fridges , washers etc

So... a couple of weeks ago I received a letter from the Heart Failure Clinic, with an appointment for the 27th March and a 'bloods' form.

So.. I set about organising getting my bloods done before the 27th...

After an hour online it was apparent that all of the local 'Bloods' centres were booked up until mid April..,but after going round in circles for about an hour.. I found a single appointment at Newton Community Hospital, which is about as far as it is possible to be from the Grand Duchy and still be in Merseyside...

I turned up on 22nd March and got my blood taken..

Next day I looked at 'Patient Access' to find that my 'bloods' had failed... summat to do with incorrect labelling or somesuch..

So.. I called the Heart Failure Clinic and they arranged for me to pick up another 'bloods' form from them last Friday and take it to St Helens Hospital on Monday 25th. I would have no appointment but was to tell staff it had been arranged by the HF Clinic. I got there and explained.  I was close to being refused until the lady in question read the look on my face and asked me to take a seat.  A couple of minutes later I was called into the blood letting room and my samples were taken...

Later the same day I checked on Patient Access and my bloods had 'failed' a second time. Again.. a 'labelling' issue.

So.....Tuesday morning I called the HF clinic again and went down there to pick up a THIRD blood test form.. They once more arranged for me to go to St Helens Hospital, where my bloods were taken yet again...

...and finally.. earlier this evening I checked.. and not only have my 'bloods' been successful.. but they seem OK to me. If I don't succumb to extreme blood loss..I'll see what the lovely Trish says in the morning..

And meanwhile.. NINE WEEKS on from the Echocardiogram ordered by the Cardiologist..I'm still none the wiser as to the results...

I suppose if I make it to the HF clinic..it can't be all bad....:laugh:

Hows my day!!!

Not been up long at least managed to sleep though the night. 

Thought I would just log in see what you are all up to?

For all members I know, have a nice day, stay safe and last HEY!!!! 

LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!! 

ps For all New Members ""WELCOME""

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

So... a couple of weeks ago I received a letter from the Heart Failure Clinic, with an appointment for the 27th March and a 'bloods' form.

Sounds like a bit of a run around Col, I hope after all that the results are good when you finally get them...

• Upvote 1