How's your day?

On 11/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, DJ360 said:

This morning I watched the Remembrance  Day parade etc. I thought about family members in both WW1 and WW2.

Tomorrow Australian time we celebrate our Remembrance Day

25th April is ANZAC Day The day starts with dawn services symbolising the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps that took part in the Gallipoli campaign in 1915. Whilst I have no relatives in Australia who took part in conflicts I do take time to remember my Dad who survived Dunkirk, was posted with the 8th Army to North Africa then invaded Sicily and fought up through Italy. My mum was in the WAAF initially on balloon crews and then on the bomber airfields of Notts/Lincs. My Maternal grandfather fought with the Royal Ulster Rifles in Fance during WWI. I am immensely proud of being named after my mum's brother who tragically received fatal wounds at Dunkirk who like his father was in the Royal Ulster Rifles. I have all my family medals proudly displayed in a cabinet in the entrance hall of our home. Mum would only have to hear the opening bars of the last post to burst into a flood of tears and I freely admit to the odd tear at times.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I was also named after an uncle, my mam's elder brother.

Serving in the Sherwood Foresters he was sent to the far East, taken prisoner, survived the Burma railway only to die when torpedoed by an America Submarine, USS Sealion. He was on the Rakuya Maru, one of the infamous hell ships whilst being transported to Japan. 

• Like 2

It arrived safely today Rog ! Certainly made my day. I have driven this route. Cannot thank you enough. I.O.U. one. B.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I thought it was going to be a jelly-filled pork pie. :biggrin:

I could'nt be that lucky.

28 minutes ago, Beekay said:

I could'nt be that lucky.

Just for you Barrie, 

DSCF3839.jpg

Rog

I've delivered to that shop, back in the 70s, when I worked at SPD Ltd, Glaisedale drive.

• Like 1

@IAN FINN, at first it were Birds Eye frozen foods then on to general deliveries in a 10 pallet Ford truck with sliding side panels.

I remember SPD  having the big Commer TS3 delivery lorries my mate worked on them while serving his apprenticeship at Cripps on Triumph Rd. in the early 60s.

Back in their heyday Pork Farms’ pies were as good as Dickinson and Morris’s although the latter claim to be the originator of the Melton pork pie. Nowadays pies bought from the supermarkets have the similar mass produced aura about them and you have to seek out the smaller makers to get a ‘proper’ pie. Jack Bailey at Upper Broughton was my favourite but he closed a few years ago. It’s an interesting  quest to find the perfect pie. Now the pork pie season is upon us I shall pursue my investigations further.

• Like 1

The Dickinson & Morris pies sold in supermarkets are nothing like the ones they sell in their own shop, full of gristle and lacking any flavour. Last one I tried ended up in the bin.

The only half way decent supermarket pork pie that I’ve found, having sampled many, is Sainsbury’s own brand, although it could do with more seasoning.

Must remember to get a proper one from Chambers next time I’m in Arnold…

• Like 2

Spent my day (again) battling with a supposedly simple Bathroom refurb. Expensive products not living up to their 'rep' etc.

Item I wanted from Screwfix is suddenly 'out of stock', except the site doesn't say so.. you are supposed to 'divine' it by clairvoyance. Simple 'clacker' basin waste turns out to have defective chrome plating...  I won't go on...

Try it all again tomorrow.

Apparently 'God loves a tryer'.. I think he overlooked me..

Col, maybe God is letting you know in many different ways tnat you should employ a plumber/bathroom fitter for the job?  
I am not joking x

Used to be nice pies from Odlings in Navenby but the younger side of the family took over and got greedy putting prices up and lowering quality, soon went bust, we do have a nice butchers down at Bassingham another family run butchers and they have excellent prize winning pork pies

Rog

Funny day today........still by mesen....so being a bit bored thought i'd have a ''Rummage'' in the shed......

What a find and quite mysterious...Wooden box very heavy...full of LPs some going back more than 50 years....there must be about 100...

Only recognised about half a dozen that were mine from way back.....

Count Basie's Beatle bag...1966

The Last Dance....Motown...all 70s

Sheena Easton...take my time.....1980.......God she was lovely.......

Cliff....talk of the town....1980......

Can honestly say that all the others were never mine...unless my age is playing tricks......

Lots of notes scribbled on the covers. of many of the others..that gave the original owners away........My Brother...and 3 of my sons being the ones........plus some love notes.....not for me..........

Here are a random sample of the other Lps...

Johnny Nash collection....1977

Mantovani....music from films....1958..........cant think who that belonged to........could have been me Mam...

Phil Collins.......no jacket required.....1968......probably mine...

Kids from Fame......1982...BBC Records......

Sensational Satchmo......1958......defo mine.......bored some Girls with that one......dare not tell you what one wrote on the cover,,;)

I could go on but ive probably bored you all enough......

All i need now is a record player.......any thought?.........

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

ll i need now is a record player.......any thought?.......

£49 buys a USB player and facilitates recording on to discs or pen drive you can play in the car.

No doubt Col will be along soon and sell you one for the price of a small bungalow you can only play under armed guard.   :Shock:

• Like 1

We got rid of our big stereo setup years ago but kept the LPs, 45s and CDs  so a couple of years ago I bought a fairly cheap thingy by Denver Electronics from Amazon.  It’s fine for us, has 3 speed turntable, cassette and CD player, FM/AM radio and the wooden casing suits our decor.  

A couple of months ago we had a tree felled in our garden and the concern was that a nest box on the tree has been used by blue tits in recent years so my husband built a wooden construction and concreted it in close to where the tree used to be and then attached the nest box at a similar height and facing exactly the same direction.  Happily the blue tits started using the box and we watched them going in and out.  Since last weekend there didn’t seem to be any activity at all so yesterday hubby climbed precariously up a ladder and lifted the lid to see a clutch of eggs but no parent. We were really sad.  Today he climbed up and lifted the lid again and happily there was a mummy sitting on her eggs, she just looked up and didn’t seemed bothered at all that she’d been disturbed.  Fingers crossed we get some baby blue tits soon.  
We’ve also got two Robin nests close to the house, in an ivy-clad Bulwell stone wall.  Get them every year but unfortunately the local cats know they’re in there too. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LizzieM said:

unfortunately the local cats know they’re in there too. 

Have the cats shot Lizzie, bloody nuisances

Rog