Cliff Ton    5,717

and now I have seen a wooden bench up at the old Botany Bay spot, falling to pieces, marked In Memory of Lesley and Dorothy Hooley. Are they relevant? Does anyone know?

Isn't Botany Bay in Australia?

Cliff Ton    5,717

After a bit of digging around I discovered this. It doesn't appear on any maps after around 1900.

botany.jpg

• Upvote 2

poohbear    1,280

When I worked just up from Hooleys in the sixties there was always a TR4 parked outside the showroom, reg No. was TR4...worth a few bob if it still exists eh? Stan Hooley was a friend of my Fathers and found me an immaculate Ford 100E for my birthday...I hated it, it was a 'sensible' car. Not really a posers car for a young chap.I chopped it for a Vauxhall Cresta after a few months....which of course fell to bits rotten shortly afterwards.They won't be told these young uns :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton    5,717

What was on Derby Road before Hooleys? It's whatever was the building on the right with the three arches. The church in the background was demolished in the early 70s.

OKL1pM5.jpg

Equivalent today looks like this.

H8vLU50.jpg

• Upvote 1

katyjay    3,425

I think it looked better in the old pic.

DAVIDW    1,056

If the number 47 on the old picture indicates its actual street number , there was a William Truman furniture shop at number 47 Derby Rd.

It kind of fits in as the Motor Repairs Ltd on view to the far left was number 37/39 Derby Rd.

Cliff Ton    5,717

Yes, I think 47 is the street number. A lot of the PTP photos were taken by the council for reference. Looks like the furniture shop was demolished for Hooleys.

Here's a close-up of the other place further down. Their head office appears to have been on Triumph Road. Lea-Francis went out of business more than a few years ago.

fMouDqa.jpg

• Upvote 1

siddha    519

When I worked just up from Hooleys in the sixties there was always a TR4 parked outside the showroom, reg No. was TR4...worth a few bob if it still exists eh? Stan Hooley was a friend of my Fathers and found me an immaculate Ford 100E for my birthday...I hated it, it was a 'sensible' car. Not really a posers car for a young chap.I chopped it for a Vauxhall Cresta after a few months....which of course fell to bits rotten shortly afterwards.They won't be told these young uns :unsure:

The car I fondly remember you having was a hotted up and very well equipped Standard Vanguard. Brilliant !!

poohbear    1,280

The car I fondly remember you having was a hotted up and very well equipped Standard Vanguard. Brilliant !!

TR bits and 5 speed box with overdrive...weighed a ton and never did get round to fitting the supercharger...but fun car :biggrin:

My mum was a switchboard operator at Hooleys in the 1970s. I remember her working there when the Ford Fiesta was introduced in 1976, and every call was regarding the new model!

Alan Cooper    0

Just now new to this site.

Have noticed posts about Hooleys Garage.

I used to navigate on motor rallies with Mike Cottee - Director.

First in his Ford Anglia and progressed to Ford Cortina Lotus.

Both cars maintained, of course, by Hooleys.

Would like to hear if anyone knows Mike currently as I would like to contact.

Many thanks

plantfit    3,201

Welcome to the site Alan, I'm sure someone will be along with plenty of memories about Hooley's or motoring in general

Rog

Willow wilson    103

From Cliff Ton's photo: the big old church had a side entrance on Upper College st. It led down to a large store type of room I guess below the main hall of the church. That was a motorbike spares and accessories shop and I've an idea it was Hooleys. 

Regarding the main Hooleys I remember in the late 60s the showroom packed with people ogling and touching the new Capri. Me included. Oh how I wanted one, but had to make do with a used Anglia.

Cliff Ton    5,717
15 hours ago, Alan Cooper said:

Have noticed posts about Hooleys Garage.

I used to navigate on motor rallies with Mike Cottee - Director.

Presumably a connection with Cottee & Edwards who had various car dealerships around Nottingham ?

katyjay    3,425

Alan Cooper. There is a Michael D Cottee living in the NG5 area of Nottingham, in the 60-64 age bracket. Got this from 192.com.