mariag    4

My father did his apprenticeship here in around the late 50s. I think this was somewhere on Derby Road? Does anyone know what happened to this garage and where exactly it was?

Beefsteak    259

I'm probably wrong but I think it could have been at the junction with Triumph road

hippo girl    1,949

it was on the corner of derby road and the road that leads to the ropewalk..they built ropewalk court on the site about 8 years ago

radfordred    2,535

The showroom was on the corner of D*rby Road & Upper Collage Street , the workshops was on the Ropewalk .

The showrooms is now posh flats .

TRD    170

And they had places at Lenton and West Bridgford.

plantfit    3,201

Ayup all,

I used to have to cycle to all those places from Sneinton on that old butchers bike you know small wheel at the front big un at the back, to get spare parts for the garage where I was apprenticed, see previous posts about my ordeals on that bloody thing

Rog

mariag    4
Ayup all,

I used to have to cycle to all those places from Sneinton on that old butchers bike you know small wheel at the front big un at the back, to get spare parts for the garage where I was apprenticed, see previous posts about my ordeals on that bloody thing

Rog

What time was this? I wonder if my dad was there then?

plantfit    3,201

Hi Mariag,

It would be between 1968-1972

Rog

Paulus    532

Hooleys, Derby Road, just up from St Barnabus cathedral, Main Ford dealership??

philby    20

my dad worked at hooleys on derby road, i'm not sure when he started there but i remember him being there in the early 70's.

i do remember a woman who worked there giving me a big set of lego in a wooden box.

he went on to be parts manager at the van and truck section which was the one at lenton.

PeterJ    0

I'm pretty sure that Hooley's had a motorcycle spares department in the basement of St.Barnabas' Cathedral. Seems unlikely but I've memories of regular visits around 1965.

Bilbraborn    1,563

Welcome PeterJ and have fun.

Did the Hooleys at Lenton become Mann-Egerton on Church Street?

Cliff Ton    5,717

I think that was two separate companies. Hooleys had their van/truck dept at Lenton, but Mann Egerton were a separate concern.

And I've posted these before on another thread, but they can go here as well, because I didn't know this thread existed. Taken when demolition had just started.

hooley2.jpg

hooley1.jpg

hooley.jpg

• Upvote 1

Trevor S    1,992

Welcome to Nottstalgia, PeterJ..I look forward to sharing your memories.. hellothere

Bazza 123    34

My father did his apprenticeship here in around the late 50s. I think this was somewhere on Derby Road? Does anyone know what happened to this garage and where exactly it was?

Hi Mariag,I did my apprenticeship also at Hooleys,started work there at Derby road in 1956 I actually got the sack in 1959 for smashing up a brand new not even registered Ford Prefect.Mr Cottee was the works manager there and he was the the one who sacked me saying I was to expensive to employ.I always thought an apprentice couldn't get sacked if he or she was indentured any way old man Cottee got around it somehow.His son worked there also his name was Michael Cottee he was fresh out of the RAF when he came to work for Hooleys.Along with Michael and Horace Enion we were sent to a big warehouse down Sneinton way I think it was about 1958 that Hooleys either owned or rented to house new cars and also our little section where we fixed up second hand cars for sale at Derby road,there was a section where new delivery trucks for Castrol were painted and got ready,I think they were Thames Traders

Trickymicky    53

I wonder if he was connected to Cottee and Edwards, another Nottingham garage, although i believe the owner was John Cottee, who lived at Wysall.

A friend of mine in Newark has had a Ford Anglia since new, which was supplied by Hooleys. The registration plates always had a distinctive letter H in the middle,,between the numbers and letters.

TBI    1,854

Yes, I remember all Hooleys-supplied vehicles had that little H on the number plate. I think that would be illegal these days.

radfordred    2,535

Used to meet some apprentice school mates who worked there on Friday afternoons in the Hand & Hart think It was the amount of fit women that worked @ the Naafi offices on the other corner.

TheTramp    140

Hooleys was a bit of a landmark there on Derby Rd. I took my kids to see Chittee Chittee Bang Bang in the showroom. Hooleys may have been the first motor people to have installed a computer system, I remember seeing an ad in The Eve Post, part-time job, 2 hours each evening 6--8 to shut down the computer!!! and now I have seen a wooden bench up at the old Botany Bay spot, falling to pieces, marked In Memory of Lesley and Dorothy Hooley. Are they relevant? Does anyone know?