Beast from the East

1 minute ago, Ayupmeducks said:

4wd tractors come with diff locks, I've often got stuck in mud, heel on the diff lock pedal and get unstuck in seconds.

Neither of my tractors have diff locks. The Fergie is 1952 and the Ford 2000 is 1960. All low tech here. The Ford does have a loader bucket so I could dig out if things get desperate! The weather for next week is much warmer though so I think Winter will be gone.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When will this infernal storm end! Last night we shot the last of the huskies. Quite palatable, but the damned fur clogs up one’s teeth! Our greatest concern is the rapidly dwindling stock of tea bags

Rog

Just returned from a week in Weymouth & some beautiful weather. All I heard Mrs C say "Will my Plants be OK "? How the hell do I know. I'm no gardener ! Smashing week Anyway, why bother with

Agree with NBL. Driver and tyres. Forethought is also important. Weigh up the hazards before going in and drive accordingly. Three weeks ago I was on a working party down the river. We had to remove two fallen trees out of the river. We had to take the kit, chainsaws etc across three fields that had been flooded recently. My mate in a newish VW 4x4 and me in a 14 y/o X Trail. I made it. He didn't. It came down to tyres again and afterwards my mate confessed that he was in bottom gear and going too slow. I had never considered an X Trail as being a serious off roader but they are surprisingly capable.

Re comments about the Suzuki Jimmy - they are amazing.  

This thread has made me go back all those years

Another quote from said driving instructor "If your sliding on ice I don't care how many drive wheels you have you are F***ed" blunt but very true.

I remember going on the A66 Scotch Corner to Warcop ranges late 70s, one of the lads got it wrong in a Saladin and took some ones front wall down, armour don't have crumple zones.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, a couple of friends are coming up to Liverpool and I'm taking them to the Cavern Club Beatles Show on Saturday .  Looks like being 'A bit thin'.. though I'd venture it will be less worserer here than in Nottm.. as we are sheltered from Easterly winds by the Pennines etc.

Col

It has been a busy few days and I  haven't been my usual organised self (First fib of the day):biggrin:. Normally we would check the weather before making any long distance driving plans, but I dint do it this time!!! 

Just spotted  CliffTons weather forecast warning post and realise we have made a big  mistake. At 6.30am tomorrow, in W-ton we pick no1 son and partner up to take to Nottm for the night, they love our City and  have planned to spend her birthday there, hoping for a day on Wollaton Park etc. They paid an extra £10 and for that they can get into their city centre hotel at 9am. 

After dropping them off at Nottm, we are driving on to Gt Yarmouth to visit relations, our hotel room booked as well. Sunday midday we will do all that travelling in reverse. If only we had checked the weather . I am not the best traveller, seen so many dangerous incidents over the years and now it looks like we will be travelling in really bad weather conditions as well. Hopefully the bad conditions will put a lot of unnecessary drivers off the roads. 

Still......Sometimes the forecasters get it wrong.......Please.:)

• Upvote 2

You'll be ok hopefully Carni. It's not going to be anywhere near as bad as a couple of weeks ago..... I hope !

Just take it steady, and plenty of stops for tea and cakes ! Take care.

Don't forget. Every Garden Centre, Tea Room, Cafe, Farm Shop, Truck Stop.......... Even a roadside caravan !

Significant accumulations of snow are expected in the North-east of Scotland; gale force winds will cause drifting too.  Good for the skiers if they can get to the slopes.

50 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

You'll be ok hopefully Carni. It's not going to be anywhere near as bad as a couple of weeks ago..... I hope !

Just take it steady, and plenty of stops for tea and cakes ! Take care.

It 's looking like the north-east of England and Scotland that will get the snow.

Hopefully, but I've not put my snow shovel and bag of rock salt back in the shed yet !

As long as I can get to the shop to pay my lottery on Saturday, and that lad can make it from the Indian Takeaway, then I'm not worried !

Gale force wind and some light snow showers here in Watten.  Deep drifting expected in the Cairngorms today.

We have been visiting relations at  Gt Yarmouth  today and just parked up at our guest house on Trafalgar Road, just off the main drag. Very nice little Guest house and reasonable price. Free WIFI and parking pass, for outside the front door. comfortable quiet room and delicious 'Full English' all for £44 double room. Anyway, back to the weather. The wind is strong and gusty, as was the journey here today. It is bitterly cold and just a few minutes out in the wind and 'it's enough to freeze your frock off'...as mi mam would say! Definitely the coldest I have felt this winter,  short bursts of snow but not settled...yet. Hope not, travelling home again tomorrow.

I have just checked the Falcon site and you seem to have worse weather than us (at the moment). The poor Falcon is laying on a blanket of snow, wonder if there is an egg under there?:) 

• Like 1

Had to go to the supermarket a while ago.  Blizzard coming home and -1.5C.  It’s not nice out there this afternoon, hope it’s decent on the telly tonight because I’m not venturing out again. 

Same here NBL. Hopefully better tomorrow, as I don't want to miss it.