IAN123.

World War One.

There was a TV prog relating to numbers generally re WW1. As well as casualty statistics, it mentioned shells fired, mines set, donkeys / mules / horses killed. Also machines used such as trucks, tanks, guns, cannons, you name it, they quoted a figure.

Re the Somme, I'm sure I recollect that over 100,000 shells were fired. Currently, a scrap merchants paradise.

• Like 3

On 2/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, IAN123. said:

Just been doing a bit of asking..via a mate of mine and the late NBL..seems that Gillott's shop at the bottom of Hockley had a history of some provenance in wars prior to '14-'18 one .

I had to visit Gillotts in the 80's with work and parts of it dated way way back. I was told that it was used as a safe house for highwaymen. 

Interesting letsavagoo,do you know any more

Rog

11 hours ago, FLY2 said:

There was a TV prog relating to numbers generally re WW1. As well as casualty statistics, it mentioned shells fired, mines set, donkeys / mules / horses killed. Also machines used such as trucks, tanks, guns, cannons, you name it, they quoted a figure.

Re the Somme, I'm sure I recollect that over 100,000 shells were fired. Currently, a scrap merchants paradise.

Programme was WW1 in numbers..showed the only genuine footage of our brave lads being cut to pieces.deemed too extreme at the time and filmed in error ..There's a fascinating book about the photographer.filmer..started out in a tree..until he thought better..

12 hours ago, plantfit said:

Interesting letsavagoo,do you know any more

Rog

Sorry Rog. I don't. As I recall it was the last place on the right or about the last going down Hockley. Towards the back of the premises it was obviously really old and hadn't been touched a deal by the look of it. I spoke to a member of staff or maybe he was the owner and that's what he told me.

• Like 1

Might be worth doing a bit of digging then mate

Rog

That's the one HSR. It was a superb programme, but very sad.

I tend to approach anything WW1 related with a 99℅ sad hat on. Been interested all my life..still find many of the stats inconceivable.

Before anybody jumps in..I don't consider myself to be the ultimate saddo!;)

• Like 1

My Grandmothers first husband was injured at Somme and died later. He was also in a Bantam Regiment. Notts & Derby Regiment Sherwood Foresters.

11qj0ya.jpg

• Like 2

When you see the state of England today, it makes me wonder what on earth was the sacrifice of all those people for !!.

• Like 1

A few years ago the NEP did a full page spread about the Nottingham Bantams, I do have a copy somewhere,a bit tatty but if I can find it I'll take a couple of pictures and post them on here

Rog

One of those postcards above depicts the medieval cloth hall in Ypres. It was blown to bits and all but destroyed. I've visited Ypres a few times and the hall was rebuilt after the war in excatly the state it had been. It's beautiful and you would never know it had received a scratch. Now partly a museum with many artefacts of the war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ypres_Cloth_Hall

• Like 3

Yes, the Cloth Hall and museum is well worth a visit, we get that way quite often. The thing I really like about Ypres and Flanders generally is how much the locals like us Brits. We've been told many times how Belgians even today, appreciate what we did for them during those awful times. 

• Like 3

I totally agree with you there TBI, when I used to ride up to Assen i sometimes used to stay overnight in Belgium and was always made to feel welcome. Wonderful folks.

• Like 3

TBI & Waddo, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. You can feel that if you attend the Menin gate ceremony at 20.00hours. My wife and I attended two nights on the trot and found it very moving. Before the last post, a list of names is read each night (different each time), all British, I believe. Beekay.

• Like 4

Yes BK, the evening ceremony is carried out every night by the Fire Brigade and has been for many, many years. I shall be there again in a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I attended the Menin Gate ceremony whilst staying at Ypres a few years back. Harry Patch, one of the last Tommy's was there.

A superb occurrence.

• Like 3

Say it to them yourself B. They deserve respect, praise and recognition EVERY single day. From everybody ! 

When in Swanage a week or so, in order to see the Flying Scotsman, I parked in the main car park, which was situated adjacent to the church.  After seeing FS, and having had a meal, plus a stroll along the pier , I made a point of wandering around the churchyard, as there was a War Graves Commission sign  on the gate. I made a specific point of reading every single WW1 gravestone, and said my thanks. 

There must have been dozens, but I didn't intend leaving until I'd read them all. 

• Like 1