City Council want to charge people to go onto the Forest site  , the show men will not agree to it , so if no agreement is reached they may move Goose Fair to a different location. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

They could always move it back to Slab square ! It certainly would be interesting watching the tram dodge between the waltzer and dodgems etc.

Bring back ''Basford Wakes'' on Billy Bacon's field.......loved it as a young Teenager.....had lots of relatives on Wicklow street.....

Like someone said Collar up'' chewing Gum'' whilst stood on the ;Waltzer'........loved two girls at that time from Old Basford..........cant forget their names.....'Trent and Soar''.......used to meet em down the 'Leen'........can't believe they moved the River to the other side of the Field........Even floated down the Leen from the back of Vernon park under the Vernon road bridge and onto 'Billy Bacons'........some painters had moored their 'Dinghy' for the weekend.........couldnt take it back with the Current being against us......so 'Moored it nicely under the next bridge..........Me and Harry Fewkes we were about eleven and thought we had sailed an Ocean.............

• Like 5

Netherfield Wakes in Jacky Bell's field - trying to look cool, no handed on Fred Cox's Speedway, until the last 20 seconds at full speed -  then hanging on for grim death !

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I claim my $100 pound prize for the first mention of the Goose Fair, Is it likely to go ahead this year?

Ahem......

The fairgrpound music did slowly catch up with the charts, but the first one I definitely recall from Goose Fair in the early 60s was:

:rolleyes:

I don't care!!!  It's not about the money.. it's about the glory!!!!

I won!!  I WON!!!!!  :yahoo:

Err excuse me.. I need a lie down....:blush:

• Like 2

I remember feeling so sad when we heard of Buddy Holly’s death.  I’ve always associate his songs with the summer when I was on holiday in Filey.  I had a crush on the lad who was in charge of the pony rides on the beach, and another lad whom I met at a fair there.  Buddy Holly records were being played on the fairground rides!

When I played in a group, way back in the far and distant past, we used to do a lot of Buddy Holly numbers. I've still got a lot of his LP tapes which I haven't played in years. I wish I hadn't lost a fingertip. I would so such much like to play my Fender Stratocaster again.

Ian, we weren’t at Butlins.  In 1959?  we stayed in a small guest house at the north end of the town, not far from the climb up to the top of the cliff walk above  the Brigg.  A couple of years before that we were also at Filey, staying in a caravan  at Primrose Valley, south of the town.

I used to walk to Primose Valley from Butlins and back along the beach being very careful not to be cut off by the tide, one song i remember from being played a lot at Butlins was Shakin All Over by Johny Kid and the Pirates. Remember driving up to the Brigg and to a place called Hunmamby stopped there as it was part of a car rally we were in.

Hearing ‘Hummanby Gap’ always reminds me of Lonnie Donnegan singing Cumberland Gap

I’ve just listened to that on YouTube but can’t be bothered to post it …. Bit of a rubbish song anyway …..

On 8/8/2021 at 6:20 PM, MargieH said:

I remember feeling so sad when we heard of Buddy Holly’s death.

Buddy died on my 10th Birthday. 3rd Feb 1959...so as well as being a huge fan.. I always get a reminder..

Who can guess where Buddy would have taken us?  He influenced much of the 1960s pop boom, the Beatles, Hollies and many more...  What a loss.

• Like 1

Chris Barber died in March of this year.  Lonnie Donegan died in 2002.  Morrison is still going, at 75.

A friend of mine has had a bit of a row with British Gas after they failed to keep an appointment. Reminded me of that wonderful song by Flanders and Swann, The Gas Man Cometh. That, in turn, reminded me of this. Always one of my favourites

Very clever lyrics. Their work wouldn't be appreciated today. Not sufficiently pc. It's still appreciated by those of us with a sense of humour!

• Like 4