Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Nice one Enigma!

I was quite surprised some years ago, to learn that Julie was not only a film actress before her singing career, but was also married to Bobby Troup.. who wrote Route 66.. some time in 1946.

It serms the song was first recorded by the Nat Cole Trio in the same year..

• Like 1

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 4:51 AM, loppylugs said:

Mrs L is from that neck of the woods in Tennessee

Loppy, I spent a lot of time working in in a manufacturing plant in Rogersville Tennessee. I was doing a world - wide survey on the most efficient way to make a certain automotive component. When we were talking about the level of skills required to do certain tasks I asked if absenteeism was a problem in the plant. The reply was "sure is, especially when the Walleye are running and the tobacco needs harvesting" many of the staff at the plant had tobacco plantations. Lovely  memories and great times with good people.

• Like 1

Mrs Col just forced me to sit through 'The Great Gatsby' again.  Two of the many songs in the soundtrack resonated with me.  One, 'What'll I Do'..has long been a favourite of mine. It was written by Irving Berlin in the 1920s, but the version which first caught my attention, was the one by the very underrated British band The Peddlers.

The next one is more than a bit cringeworthy..  I like the tune, and quite like the song.. but....

Our primary school teacher forced us to sing this song...which of course might be OK if you are a little girl in a 1950s primary...  but has serious issues if you're a boy... :wacko:

Ooohhh Err....

What on earth was she thinking?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brew said:

What on earth was she thinking?

Exactly..since mid Sep', i"m allowed to watch a new channel on freeview! Sky Arts...one or two great  musical programmes..

Way back when I was an adolescent.. I was, as I am still.. mad about music.  Thing is, due to terminal lack of funds and not even a decent radio in our house, I grabbed my music wherever I could.

One such vehicle was a film called 'It's Trad Dad'.  At the time, my pop sensibilities were added to by a love of 'Trad', as represented at the time by the likes of Acker Bilk, Chris Barber, Kenny Ball, Bob Wallis, Monty Sunshine, Mike Cotton, Ken Colyer, Humphrey Lyttleton and Co.

This film.. like almost all of the genre, was total rubbish from the point of view of the plot...  There wasn't one.. other than  a sort of 'Let's Do The Show Right Here! combined with 'Teenagers take on The Establishment', in similar fashion to 'The Young Ones'.  But that's not the point.  It was the music which made the film for me and for years I've looked for it in vain.

So.. fast forward to yesterday when I decided, more in hope than expectation.. to watch a film from Talking Pictures, called 'Ring A Ding Rhythm'.

I soon realised that the film was very familiar and discovered that it was in fact 'It's Trad Dad!', under the guise of its alternative American title.

So.. I enjoyed an hour or so of all those Trad bands listed above.  Yet.. I also saw people like Del Shannon, Gene Vincent, the Paris Sisters and.. memorably.. Gene McDaniels.  McDaniels performing 'Another Tear Falls'.. yet another of the originals later covered by the Walker Bros. I didn't recall any of those from the original film. Was I just not tuned into them at the time? Or were they added in for the American Audience and just not in the film I saw?

Whatever...

I absolutely loved the Temperance Seven.  ( There were nine of them)

They played the fool.. but were all excellent musicians.  I was always worried that the singer 'Whispering' Paul Mc Dowell..wouldn't make it to the microphone in time.. but he always did...

Paul Mc Dowell continued to appear as an actor on TV for many years and left us in 2016.

• Like 2

'Live it up' 1963 is an interesting watch that was on Talking Picture's, about a year ago, if I remember, David Hemmings, features Steve Marriott and Mitch Mitchell, possibly also Blackmore but could be confusing two films here.

Payed 125 quid in 1981 for Zeppelin at Knebworth on VHS..how times change!

I saw Live It Up recently.  I did enjoy it.  I also saw the Billy Fury vehicle 'Play It Cool.'  They are all little gems in their own way,

I still rate Zep as the most overrated band of the modern era.. with the possible exception of  U2.

Today I have started listening to the Joni Mitchell Archives which I purchased recently.  I decided to buy both the 5CD box set, the vinyl album of her early demo recording in 1963, and the triple vinyl of her performance in 1967 at Canterbury House.  Well.. it's not as if I'm spending much on holidays.. or down the pub.  At this time almost nobody here had heard of her.

Part of the way through the first disc, which is 9 songs recorded for Joni at CFQC AM in 1963, to use as a Demo. Plus a live set at somewhere called the Half Beat... and other stuff.

It's wonderful. I've always had a special affection for 'historic' recordings..and even more so if they are of musical heroes/heroines. Joni's voice is clear as a bell and she is bang on pitch. I'm still staggered that such stuff has seemingly been hidden, and in some cases I think 'lost' for more than half a century.

In the same way that early Ray Charles recordings from the late 1940s on the Downbeat and Swingtime labels betray his attempts to emulate Nat 'King' Cole.. Joni's voice and phrasing here owes much to Joan Baez. But... there's enough of Joni's own voice, self-accompaniment etc... to point to her future. All she had to do.. like Charles.. was to learn to trust her own vocals, and unlike Ray, to begin to write the phenomenal stuff of her own which soon followed.

Joni is a World Treasure.

And a couple of years later she was producing some of the greatest music of all time:

And of course she painted the cover art too.

Peerless.

Crikey ........ What if he had more strings :Shock:

A haunting piece of music linked to some harrowing footage of the absolute stupidity of war. Below are some Australian songs about the same subject from an Australian perspective.  The first written by Eric Bogle in 1971, born in Scotland, now living near Adelaide

This one from 1983, a song that explores the impact of the war on young Australians fighting in Vietnam sung by John Schumann and Redgum

Another from the Vietnam era the hard rocking anthem Khe Sahn by Jimmy Barnes lead singer of Cold Chisel again about the aftermath of the Vietnam war (Turn your speakers and the bass way up for this one)

Oz, that first video really got to me - it really shows the horrors of war on a personal level.... and the second one, particularly because of the youth of the soldiers.   Wars are disgusting and I feel so, so sad and angry that negotiations sometimes fail and war become necessary.

13 hours ago, MargieH said:

Wars are disgusting and I feel so, so sad and angry that negotiations sometimes fail and war become necessary.

MargieH

We would not have any major wars if the politicians had to fight in them. We would still have minor local skirmishes, unfortunately it is the way of mankind. We seem unable to live together without one group forcing their views on another or wanting something that someone else has and resorting to force to get it.

• Like 2

@Enigma.  that was such a sad song...

Oz, the Eric Bogle song was very popular in the folk clubs in the 70s and 80s.  A very affecting song which really drove its point home as the last three or four survivors from WW1 left us.

I remember being close to tears listening to Harry Patch's reminiscences. A very gentle, honest man.

When the war ended, I don't know if I was more relieved that we'd won or that I didn't have to go back. Passchendaele was a disastrous battle—thousands and thousands of young lives were lost. It makes me angry. Earlier this year, I went back to Ypres to shake the hand of Charles Kuentz, Germany's only surviving veteran from the war. It was emotional. He is 107. We've had 87 years to think what war is. To me, it's a licence to go out and murder. Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn't speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?[11]

— Harry Patch, Nov. 2004

The other night I watched '1917' on Prime Video.  I found it to be an excellent film, a visual feast and totally absorbing. I struggle to understand why anyone would find most of it 'far fetched' as some have said. It portrayed chaos. War is largely chaos.

RE; the song Wayfaring Stranger, featured towards the end. I'd ask why they used the song at all. Poetic Licence taken way too far IMHO, and an unnecessary indulgence. A blot on an otherwise superb film. Although the song long pre-dates WW1, I'd be very surprised if it was current among soldiers comprising 'The Devons' in 1917, pre-radio/TV and so on. It's not even well known among the general population now. It is also an American song.

One other thing which I baulked at a bit. When the two protagonists set out to work their way through the lines, they trudged, apparently unconcerned, through puddles and mud, when a little thought would have allowed them to avoid many. Having spoken to my Grandfather, who served in WW1.. about the horrors of 'Trench Foot', and even the basic necessity to stay dry and as comfortable as possible.. I doubt many serving soldiers would have been so casual about getting wet and cold.

Still overall 1917 is as good as any film I've seen about WW1 and better than most, with the possible exception of 'All Quiet'..etc.

The 'Wayfaring Stranger' episode reminded me of the TV series 'Flambards', back in the late 1970s, which was set during WW1. I didn't follow it closely, because to me it made little sense. It made even less when at some sort of Harvest supper.. one of the characters launched into 'The Shoals of Herring'... a song not written until around 1960... by Ewan McColl.

All of which preamble leads me into...

and

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, DJ360 said:

All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?

After all these years that statement is still true today. I hope we never go there again but it appears that the human race cannot stop itself. You only have to look at the megalomaniacs, religious fanatics, despots and various other terrorist groups to realise it wont be long before another skirmish breaks out and we can only hope that it can be contained and it does not escalate into a major conflict.

Amen to that Oz.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, DJ360 said:

which preamble leads me into..

Enjoy the railway ballads.!

I was late to the party, it's me age!