Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Vivaldi,  "The four seasons"

Rog

• Like 1

There's a little personal story around this song.  It's from the first Mary Black album I bought.  It's on CD. A very early CD, from 1983 which, despite the glorious music, I found all but 'un-listenable' on my then hi-fi set up.  Just too razor like and shrill.  However, Mrs Col found it stashed away and played it on her little portable in her sewing room and I was interested again. The journey to Youtube has softened the edges a bit and I've found it also plays acceptably in the car.

Thing is, I have a very good friend called John Murphy, who lives close by, but also spends much time in his place in Ireland.  John plays the pipes, whistles, the mandolin, banjo, and fiddle.  He is a highly sought after backing and session musician I've known since I first heard him play at the Traveller's Rest Folk Club in St Helens in the mid 1970s.  Around that time many other Irish descended musicians played there, including a couple of chaps called Shay Black and Mick Johnson.

So.. moving on.. last Thursday I was in my local and John was in.  I asked him if he knew anything about this very early Mary Black album, because apart from publisher and song titles there's very little info..... and at that time the penny still hadn't dropped...  " Aaahh Mary", said John.  "Lovely girl.. I've done backing and accompaniments for her quite a lot over the years, of course you know she's Shay's sister?"

I had to admit that that bit had escaped me, but on reflection I wasn't surprised.  "No worries" said John.  I'll contact them and get the info".

So John went on...  "  How's this for a 'faux pas'...I was with Mary and her husband (Joe?) in a bar.. after a recording session.. and there was this other girl there.  American she was..and I asked her 'Do you sing then?'.  'Yes, I sing a bit', she said. And only a little afterwards I was formally introduced to Linda Ronstadt"

Anyway.. this is a lovely little Whaling song, but with a difference, because it tells the story of the Whaler from the point of view of the poor girl and family he left behind :

"While Southwards he roams.. To the home of the whale"

I love little songs like that.  They get to the heart of things, and of course Mary sings beautifully.

One more gem from that album.  Rare's Hill starts out as a typical song about a girl taken advantage of and left literally 'holding the baby'.  But there's a nice twist.

Col

Me mate Hippo has just seen these

...last time for me was an Oyster festival..with champagne and portar.

I've just spent the best part of an hour listeniing to a 10" LP of Beethoven's 5th.  Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orch.  I can't fiind out when it was produced, but I'm guessing around early 1950s.  And it's 'mono'. but that's hardly a problem when you're in the next room.  Not a bad record considering its age.  We haven't moved on that much.....

What struck me though is that this LP was priced at 26 shillings and sixpence.  In the early to mid 1950s that was practically a week's wages for many.

Since worked my way through some Simon and Garfunkel vinyl and now onto Roy Orbison's astonishing swansong 'Mystery Girl.'

What an album. what a voice.. what a loss...

Bottle of Merlot.  Couple of decent sized Bailey's and half a Valium.  Might get me to sleep through the itch...

Penned by the Sha La La La Lee man.

gone all Sir Edward Lewis...

Paul Simon at his best.

Many songs seem to be big hits then drop completely out of sight... like these two:

And Juicy Lucy's version of Bo Diddley's 1956 hit 'Who Do You Love?'  Would you believe folk danced to this in the 360? Diggin' on the Vertigo 'Swirl' Label

DJ..The Moby Grape song didn't drop completely out of of sight..Blackfoot opened there set at Knebworth in '85 with it.. but still nearly 30 years and counting! 

• Like 1

Blackfoot were a great band, led by the brilliant Rickey Medlocke, currently back with Lynyrd Skynyrd. Southern Rock at its VERY best !

• Like 1

This should keep music buffs busy for a while .

The Boston (USA) Public Library have put online some 48000 recordings , many of them 78s .

I selected "Ellington" and these came up but earlier had a listen to some old Sonny Boy Williamson tracks .

https://archive.org/details/78rpm_bostonpubliclibrary?and[]=ellington&sin=

• Like 1

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still,

The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Apart from moving home the last few weeks have been a bit turbulent health wise for me and the wife,,need to get sorted,, hope trogg is ok,anyone heard owt?  Excuse me Dr Hook is singing sexy thing,,gotta go,,  lol 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

You really have been through it Miducks. Sorry to read about you and Donnas health troubles Benj, I send you both our best wishes, and I hope you settle down well in your new home. I keep checking but I haven't seen any news yet on Trogg. Take care Benj and I look forward to some singing again as soon as the choir assembles again.:biggrin:

• Like 3

Hey, Ayup Ben, pleased to see you back and sorry you’ve had health issues but hope you settle into your new home quickly.  Did you get out before the rent man called?  

Just hope that a few of the old stalwart Nottstalgians poke their heads around the door and see that all is calm again. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2