Nice to see some chat in the Mundella area At last.

Do we have a prospective Mundella moderator?

Of course Munkydella were the arch enemies of Trent Bridge,

As were the Becket (Bucket) School. :rolleyes:

Time to bury the hatchet.

Oh yes TB still exists. Mundella is a housing estate?

The Bucket school, I dont know?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was at a farm strip at Park Farm, Kirby Bellars near Melton Mowbray. It was a difficult landing as the strip undulated. I knew I wouldn’t make it so I decided to go around and try again. Unfortunat

I was at the Becket in the early 1970s. Engineer and others  above got it pretty much right. Some adds and a few repeats:  Mr. Harrington, Physics and a much younger Physics teacher whose

The Becket School closed its two/three? former premises and moved to the new Becket School at Gresham Fields in Wilford in 2009, Rob. The original sites are marked for redevelopment. The new school wi

No Edwin, its Mundella- Anthony John Mundella although brilliant and industrious, and giving free education for all,he can hardly be spoken of in the same breath as the worlds greatest Statesman.

Incidentally, I live near a place called Mundulla-?an aboriginal word-must find out what it means. bowdown

• 3 months later...

I remember the cross country run under the watchful eye of Mick Walker and having to run the gauntlet past the Becket lads as they threw their leftovers at us from the school playground just before the home run from the suspension bridge.

Mundella cross country runs - bin there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

From school changing rooms, down passed Memo's gardens - collecting almonds from tree enroute. Then across Spenii, right along the narrow pathway - with boats moored just below and big houses to the left. Along the top of the bank towards Wilford, then it gets hazy. Then the return run.

I vaguely remember passing a school on the left was that Becket?

Hugs Alison

With reference to the African connection. Few people know that Mugabe was originally from Yorkshire.

Mugabe is ee bah gum backwards. <giggle>

Hugs Alison

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
That was the one alison but I seem to remember we approached Becket from the other end so they were on our right as we went by

only just joined recently, but saw these posts and as i went to the Becket from 70-76, i thought I'd add me two cents.

The cross country runs were a nightmare for us too, we ran down the towpath and were pelted with rocks from the Roland Green mob. If you got past them it was over Wilford Bridge up the Embankment to Trent Bridge and back to school.We were fortunate to avoid Mundella and Trent Bridge, but i do remember a few scuffles with the Mundella boys, they even tried to get into our yard one time, but we valiantly fought them off, it was like zulu !! Also the spenie saw some action as well. We felt like targets as the only catholic school and the bloody uniform didn't help either.

sketch

If there was enough interest, I would create a Becket school forum.

BTW I am sorry for our lot throwing your cap in the Trent if it was you!

You know what these Tren Bridge Secondary Ruffians were like!

• Upvote 1
If there was enough interest, I would create a Becket school forum.

BTW I am sorry for our lot throwing your cap in the Trent if it was you!

You know what these Tren Bridge Secondary Ruffians were like!

Not half as rough as some of the Becket mob were! A school friend from junior school days went to Becket after the 11+ and was so rough/tough was expelled and sent to Mundella!

He later became leader of the 1958 race riots in Nottingham.

• 3 years later...

Which rather raises the question...

Why should a outstanding Catholic school close it's doors?

Can't be because of a decline in Catholicism...

Perhaps the authorities would rather fund these 'minority' alleged schools.

Cheers

Robt P.

The Becket School closed its two/three? former premises and moved to the new Becket School at Gresham Fields in Wilford in 2009, Rob. The original sites are marked for redevelopment. The new school with its superior facilities cost approximately £25m if I recall correctly.

I was an admirer of the way the school was run in the short time I worked there, with its accent on discipline and high standards of behaviour. The pupils appeared to understand what was expected of them and there was little compromise on that by the staff. This was sadly in contrast to one or two of the other schools I operated in. From a personal point of view it was refreshing to see Christianity and its values being taught too.

• Upvote 3
  • 4 years later...

I was at the Becket 59-64 it was OK ish............ but then I had nothing to compare it with.

I knew some good lads who went there but they were generally clever ( at exams ) and I was not !

Adolescent life was much improved by dalliances with Mundella girls in and around the Memorial Gardens.

I, for one, raced over the suspension bridge and was often home late.

Mea Culpa!

• 1 month later...

Thinking back it wasn't a bad seat of learning, you get out what you put in..I suppose.

Mr.Wheat and the late Peter Smedley were great music teachers,the weeks recluse to The Briars at Crich were memorable.

Never really required to use my knowledge on ox bow lakes though!

Was across Wilford Lane Little Bounds and then down the road in a marsh Big Bounds or was it the other way round?

Or even perhaps a different dimension?

• Upvote 1