Things that pee you off...

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions...

Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such vitriol when the murder of a schoolgirl gets zip. zich. nada!, not even a mention here, and barely a mention in the media? Are we so inured now a murder doesn't even register?

It's a bloody tree! it will grow again

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Brew, My comment about mandatory sentences applies to all crimes.

If they knew what they were going to get before they commit the crime it may stop some of them, perhaps not crimes committed in anger or rage but certainly many others.

We had a government minister that said of prisoners and gaols "Rack 'em Pack 'em and Stack 'em" when it was said we could not afford to build another prison.

• Like 1

Perhaps our police force is going the same way as Russia's (if the BBC News website is to be believed). Don't turn up for murder, rape, robbery, etc, no matter how many times they're called but call the beloved leader anything from a bandit to a crock of unmentionable and you'll be summarily arrested and locked up for 15+ years. 

• Like 1

Jill, If you are looking for 'sinister' developments from our esteemed Govt., maybe have a look here...

Dr John Campbell is most definitely NOT a 'conspiracy theorist'. He's in favour of vaccination etc, but he's also pretty sceptical about info of all sorts. 

As ever with Dr Campbell...he's a bit slow getting to the point.., because he's always very careful to spell things out clearly, but he's always interesting and thought provoking.

37 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

As ever with Dr Campbell...he's a bit slow getting to the point..,

Please, please stop!! he's like Chinese water torture... Quite what's wrong with taking down false information I'm not sure.

Anyone with more than a passing interest in current affairs will be aware that government have a myriad of departments that don't make headlines.

He said "it's hard to think he's making a video about his country". I think it's hard to think I've just sat here and watched this crap.

Water torture is putting it mildly.

Conspiracy theorists obviously have a lot of spare time on their hands. I don’t quite understand the point of his ramblings and mutterings. He does nothing beyond state the bleedin’ obvious, highlighting sections of web pages which are there for anyone to see at any time.

I wonder if anyone has watched one of his videos all the way through without nodding off.

A total waste of time and bandwidth.

• Like 1

OK, admittedly not Campbell's best.. but he did a lot of very informative stuff during Covid. YMMV

11 hours ago, Brew said:

Quite what's wrong with taking down false information I'm not sure.

That's not what he is saying.  The whole point is that he is querying 'who decides which info is false?'.

9 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Thats why I didn't watch it!!

You're psychic? :Shock:

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

The whole point is that he is querying 'who decides which info is false?'.

Medical personnel? Those who can qualify their views and back it up with evidence? Some things are self evident

11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Conspiracy theorists obviously have a lot of spare time on their hands.

He isn't a conspiracy theorist.  He was widely appreciated for his common sense videos around Covid, where he would trawl the Net for articles and info when there was an awful lot of spurious stuff, then examine and explain them.

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

He isn't a conspiracy theorist

I rather think he is. He cherry picks articles and puts his own spin on them. He seems to think there are secret government departments and he's clever enough to ferret them out, there isn't. As I've pointed out he cherry picks articles, goes through them one at a time and ticks them as he goes along  to prove how meticulous he does his research. He does nothing new, both you and I did much the same during the pandemic. I  saw nothing new, nothing untoward, and to nothing to concern me, not even the tiniest of bogeyman

He is widely appreciated... buy whom?  We're talking about YouTube videos, hardly the last bastion of academia or the frontiers of scientific thought. This is the world of pratfalls, cute kittens and home of loonies and conspiracy theory, at least he's in the right place.

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

He cherry picks articles and puts his own spin on them. He seems to think there are secret government departments and he's clever enough to ferret them out, there isn't.

Exactly. That's the classic sign of a conspiracy theorist - people who see things which no-one else knows about. Only they can tell everyone else what's happening, because normal people aren't aware of it.

• Like 1

We are in the middle of the run up to a referendum which asks this question - "A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

There is a box on the ballot paper where you are required to write "Yes" in support of the alteration and "No" if you are against it. Interestingly the Electoral Commission has determined that a tick can be accepted as a yes vote but an X will be deemed an invalid vote.

What is pi$$ing me off is the incessant barrage of TV, radio and other media ads for both cases, the copious amounts of junk mail constantly filling our mailbox and people waving placards and pushing pamphlets at me as I go about my business. Almost 1.25 million of us have already voted in the first three days of early voting and it will be many, many more before polling day on Saturday 14th October so they will have no further interest. Voting is compulsory and it appears that we may not have a final result until two weeks after the polls close? This on a simple Yes/No question, how in this day and age can it take so long?

To be carried it must have a majority of Australians in a majority of states vote yes. If you live in the Northern Territory or the Australian Capital Territory your vote only counts in the national numbers. At this stage it is looking likely the vote will be No. It will be interesting as our state has already put in train a "voice" for our parliament. If we vote No, I wonder if our pollies will go ahead with it against the wishes of the people.

Master and myself managed to get out the other day into the big wide world. Called at Giltbrook Retail park then went  to The Hayloft for dinner/lunch. Well what a lovely day it was, then a man came up to the bar and stated on the bar staff if you have a problem then yes tell them, but every word that came out of his mouth started with the F word  F this F that, well I'm sorry but I do not want to listen to that. So I stood up and said ""Excuse me do you mind not using that F word  "    OH!!! I'am  sorry then he just carried on  There seems to be a lot of people who use The F word most of the time and it's second nature to them.  Would I recommend the Hayloft yes but only if that chaps not there.

Problem is Mary, it's not just the men that use the 'F' word.

It seems in regular use with younger women nowadays.

In fact, where I live some of our 70+ ladies are not averse to using it. What annoys me though, they seem to think because I'm a bloke, it's ok to use it in front of me. I would never dream of using it in front of a female. Or men come to think of it.

• Like 1

When I hear people using the F-word very frequently (almost every other word) it sounds comical and ridiculous; completely the opposite to what they probably intend. It makes them appear even more moronic than they are.

• Like 1

Whenever I've hit my thumb with a hammer, or picked up a hot soldering by mistake, for some strange reason my vocabulary becomes drastically limited whilst at the same rising exponentially in volume,,,

On 10/6/2023 at 3:30 AM, Oztalgian said:

If we vote No, I wonder if our pollies will go ahead with it against the wishes of the people

There's a can of worms just begging to be opened but it's a topic for politics rather than here.

There is only one person who I know gets a laugh by useing the F word and that's "Billy Connolly " but gone are those days 

8 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I love Billy Connolly.  Saw him at the Concert Hall several years ago and enjoy watching him on TV but only repeats these days since he became unwell.  

morning Lizzie yes BC is unwell he has same as me "Parkinson's"

I love Billy Connolly ever since I saw him do “The Welly Song”

If it wasn’t for your wellies where would you be

You’d be in the hospital or infirmary ….