Things that pee you off...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Having to endure another night of dogs being terrified by fireworks leads me to believe some people have more money than sense. The problem is coming from private sites and I have my own thoughts on where the fireworks should be put. I would also be prepared to light them. In this day and age there is no need for this ridiculous performance each year, it is more like living in a war zone than a supposed civilised country.

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fireworks I would ask why not.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

We have two major grocery stores in Australia. Coles and Woolworths, no connection with the former UK Woolworths.

Between them they have 80% of the market this segment. Aldi are here as are some independent chains.

We are approaching Australia day, 26th January, and yesterday Woolworths bowed down to the "wokelings" and announced it will not be selling any memorabilia, flags, caps, T shirts etc. Minorities yet again trying to re-write history to suit their view of the world.

Australia's opposition leader has called for a boycott of the store. Woolworth cited lack of demand for Australia Day merchandise as the reason for their actions, Coles will be selling the merchandise.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, woody said:

Quite often you find the ones who complain about lack of integration are the ones who resist it most.

I imagine that's quite a difficult statement to defend or verify without evidence. 

Not being an immigrant and recognising they're not all arriving iin small boats I wouldn't like to speculate on why they come or why many of our 'own' leave.

Leaving your homeland is a giant leap in the dark and must take some courage, though easier if you have relatives to help and support you. 

Perhaps some of our ex-pats would like to share what factors were in play when they decided to emigrate; even with a decent education, language and transferrable skills it's not an easy decision.

43 minutes ago, Brew said:

Perhaps some of our ex-pats would like to share what factors were in play when they decided to emigrate; even with a decent education, language and transferrable skills it's not an easy decision.

Brew, there were a number of factors that influenced our decision to become "ten pound poms" and emigrate to Australia.

Think back to 1975 an era of high inflation, increasing unemployment, low growth, endless strikes, power cuts and the three day week and various states of emergency, general economic gloom and constant terrorist threats. Continual U turns by the then Heath government (1970-1974)

High Inflation - We bought our first house in 1972 and we were paying around 8% interest in 1975 it was 11-12% and payments increased by 100 pounds per month yet my wages were stagnant and general inflation was 25%

Increasing Unemployment - I was a toolmaker and worked in the precision engineering sector. Many companies were laying off skilled trades or closing due to the downturn in orders due to the stagnation of the economy and lack of growth. Luckily it never happened to me but the threat was always there.

Endless Strikes and Power Cuts. The bloody mindedness of the unions particularly in the automotive and mining industries ultimately led to the demise of both industries and I well recall being on a three-day week whilst costs were still going up. I remember that after three years of paying a mortgage where the payments increased every month I think all we actually owned was the front door knocker. There was serious talk of a General strike in 1974 and groups were set up to man essential services and GB75 was designed to break the grip of the pickets.

Constant Terrorist Threats - In November 1974 in the days after we went to Birmingham Rotunda for our final interview to come to Australia two pubs were bombed. The Mulberry Bush and the Talk of the Town, killing 21 and injuring 182 others.

Britain was fast becoming a place I no longer wanted to live in and hence my move to Australia, a move I have never once regretted.

• Like 4

I wasn't quite old enough to consider making such a move in the early/mid-70s, but in later years I sometimes wondered if I would've taken a chance had I been born a few years earlier.

8 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Britain was fast becoming a place I no longer wanted to live in and hence my move to Australia, a move I have never once regretted.

And all that wonderful red wine!!

If my father had his way, we'd have emigrated to the Fremantle area in the mid 60s. He'd been there during the war and loved it. He wanted to go back but mum said nay. If things had been different, I could be a Sheila now with an Aussie accent. I love to hear Aussies speak. New Zealanders have an even more extreme version of the same accent. Accents fascinate me.

Nip up to Middlesborough Phil., they've not spoken English for years. :Shock:

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

You don’t have to go as far as Middlesbrough Barrie. I had to translate, for my public school educated colleague at the factory, what the lads who came from Hucknall were saying!

I married a Hucknall girl 57 years ago and on occasions I still struggle to understand her, but then again there are times I dont want to.

• Like 1

‘Hucknall’ is comprehensible compared with Eastwood! When I was at Mellish, being a county grammar school, there was a large intake from Hucknall, Kimberley, Eastwood and Jacksdale. By the time they reached the 6th. form English had become their native tongue. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I just don't believe what I am reading you don't like how the people from  Nottinghamshire speak ?? What about us-lot who come from Nottingham do you speak any Nottm slang?? live and let live, what about the people who come to live in the UK ?? do you call them as well? 

LIVE AND LET LIVE don't you think?? apart from that what about GB them who's got it them who haven't them there with money them  there with next to nothing, 

I rest my case 

I was born in Wakefield lived in Pontefract  then off to Radford Nottm then to Nuthall Notts then a big move to Moosejaw Canada then to Regina Canada still here i dont know what i am no one understands me not even the wife which is ok.

16 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

. I remember that after three years of paying a mortgage where the payments increased every month I think all we actually owned was the front door knocker. There was serious talk of a General strike in 1974 and groups were set up to man essential services and GB75 was designed to break the grip of the pickets.

Constant Terrorist Threats - In November 1974 in the days after we went to Birmingham Rotunda for our final interview to come to Australia two pubs were bombed. The Mulberry Bush and the Talk of the Town, killing 21 

Slight differences to todays problems OZ.....But only slight..........even though one of my sons is now an Aussie......ive never fancied the country....don't like the accent...the heat...and when i see shots of it on TV......It looks as crowded as England (i know its not).......

If was a lot younger i would definitely leave our not so ''Green and pleasant Land''.........with Spain being my favourite destination..

Mind you i still fancy ''KYLIE''......:rolleyes:

Ian, with all the moves youv'e made, it's called, 'being one step ahead of the law'.  :crazy:

Have made a start Sunshine ! With a bit of luck might be able to do a bit more tomorrow and possibly post you a picture. The light has been terrible today, really struggling to see what I'm doing. This copper kettle is by far, the worst item Iv'e ever painted on. It's heavy and bloody awkward shape. Keep cutting my hands when trying to hold it, ( got me hand stuck inside yesterday ).

• Like 1