Winter fuel & Christmas bonus.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really must check to see if mine has arrived yet. Thing is... with my vast wealth, it's easy to overlook a few hundred here or there...... Eitherway, it will help a bit towards the almost £6k I

Something I've never understood or agreed with is the meter standing charge. They were introduced back in the 30's for new supplies when installation costs were expensive, they never went away because

Set a reminder, I can't remember things a day or two ahead, never mind 400 years!

38 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Where's all this dosh coming from? That's what I'd like to know. Is there a money tree or bottomless pit that I'm not aware of?

The money is coming from the Government who gives it with one hand and takes it away with the other. 

• Like 3

Quote from a financial journalist - if annual inflation and energy prices were taken into account:

The Winter Fuel payment for the over 66s due next month fixed in 2000/01 at £200 should be £1035 this winter and £1480 for over 80s, both plus the extra £300 given last year and this. The Cold Weather Payment £25 should be £57. The Warm Home Discount £150 should be £268.

Thanks @Stuart.Call a bit clearer now.  Still waiting for our DWP letter but it looks like we’ll get £250 each, which will be welcome but won’t go very far on our upcoming holiday celebrating hubby’s big birthday, but at least we won’t be leaving the heating on at home during the trip.  

We still haven’t got our letters to tell us we’re going to get the Winter Fuel Allowance but today my husband received a letter from DWP to inform him he’ll be getting an extra 25p a week now he’s about to be 80.  That won’t make any difference to us but it’s an insult, it won’t even buy a postage stamp and it took 12 days for the letter to arrive too!  As soon as he turned 75 they stopped the free TV licences for over 75s, even though, as second home owners we were only allowed one free one anyway.  

I too had the insult of a 25p increase in my pension recently. Things like this make the government so popular! We’ve had the notifications that together we’ll be getting £600 in fuel allowance but as I pay considerably more than that in tax, to paraphrase, ‘the government giveth and the government taketh away!’ :(

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We still haven’t got our letters to tell us we’re going to get the Winter Fuel Allowance 

The Govt website says you'll get a letter "...in October or November...." so they're probably just slow off the mark. I received mine last week, but several people here obviously got theirs some time before that.

Beekay I have not received mine yet, it looks like I will be joining you selling bootlaces and matches, by the way where is Lewes and are there any good hostels and shop doorways for me to sleep in.

Heyup Trogg, lad. Lewes is about 7 miles E.N.E. of Brighton. It is our County town. I could book you a doorway on Cliff High street, which is not too far from Harveys brewery. A good spot would be outside Specsavers, with plenty of footfall. Bring your own matches though  and I'll dye some string for laces. :rolleyes:

Sorry Brew, but I will have to put me matches away for another time. My letter finally arrived this morning, totally sodden and dripping wet. 'Er indoors also got her letter at the same time. Does this mean, being almost 80, that I am now recognised as a pensioner? 

On 10/27/2023 at 9:39 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The Govt website says you'll get a letter "...in October or November...." so they're probably just slow off the mark. I received mine last week, but several people here obviously got theirs some time before that.

Although I got the confirmation letter last week, I've not yet received the money.