Anything Political

5 hours ago, LizzieM said:

And I agree with the above too.  
My son sourced 2000 brand new Ventilators in China several weeks ago.  He contacted an NHS Procurement Manager who said he would get back to my son, who never let up and kept on to this chap.  They never made a decision.  Now it’s too late, the available machines have all gone.  I was talking to my son a couple of days ago about it and, as he said, James Dyson will make millions out of this project and will not have the machines produced  in time. 

The NHS procurement officers and the old fashioned 'buyers' are far more professional than their forebears. (I have immediate family who are said professionals). They will always try to buy from source and avoid middle men, for the obvious reasons.

If Dyson manufactures a utility ventilator in volume and in short time, thus saving thousands of lives, then he will have earn't a few million. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

22 hours ago, Brew said:

Sorry Col I have to disagree. The UK has the fourth highest number of tests per million people in Europe and the fifth largest number of tests globally.

(et.seq.)

OK Brew.. I'm not going to argue with your research. However, I still insist that something is clearly wrong and if it is not with the amount of testing, it is with the targeting of testing.  It is obvious that all NHS staff, along with 'apparent' CV cases hospitalised, need to be tested.  I agree it is now too late to test all potential cases unless they develop into the life threatening version of CV.

22 hours ago, Brew said:

I do agree the Dyson deal is suspicious. Developing a new design when there are existing manufacturers certainly smacks of cronyism however if Dyson come up with a better machine at a reasonable price then the  deal will be vindicated - we shall see.

And how!!!  Dyson.. in my experience, cannot even design a reliable vacuum cleaner..  Revolutionary? Yes. Sucks like the proverbial?  Yes.  Keeps on working without bits breaking and falling off?  Absolutely not.  Complete overhyped and overpriced rubbish.  I'd never have another and better can be had from VAX at about 1/3 the price.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Brew said:

I completely agree and we as a society have been searching and advocating various systems since we left the hunter/gatherer system behind. The present setup, whilst far from perfect, has lowered infant mortality rates, increased life span, continually raised living standards etc. Compared to out fathers and our grandfathers we live, even those on benefits, a life of almost unimaginable abundance and luxury. How many here had grandparents who owned a car, owned their own house, went abroad for holidays, had more consumer goods than you can shake a stick at, had a university education?...

Yes it's right we seek to  improve things but lets not forget what we have and bite the hand that feeds us.

Brew your comments are largely valid.. but.. 'the hand that feeds us.' ??  Really?  That's all a bit deferential isn't it?

There is no such hand.  There is only a system and a very flawed one at that.

More to the point though.. our gradual and hard won rise in wealth and freedom seems to have lurched to a halt in recent years, and in many respects is going into reverse.

No doubt many student essays and learned theses will be written about these times.. but at present I'm too tired and it's too late for me to engage in a major analysis. 

That said, I remain convinced that Democracy is the only way forward.  I just think that the forces of (extreme/Neo-Con) Capitalism and 'Far Right' responses to both it.. and the rise of China et,al, are leading us into dangerous waters where we are ripe for exploitation by Dictators.  We are already far too close to that and the grunt Brexiteers seem determined to make it come true.

8 hours ago, radfordred said:

Looks like Europe is waking up, the Italians are burning the EU flag “Ci salviamo da soli” they’ll be next following us smart Britons, there will be no EU after this pandemic. 

Really Red?  The EU is responsible for CV too?

Much hype has been made of testing yet in itself it's a rather pointless exercise. 

The Italian authorities have realised this and have  stopped routine testing. 

There are 60+ million in the UK and clearly testing everyone is not only impossible it's a complete waste of time and resources. 

The testing IMHO should be reserved for medical staff and should be done regularly. They are the ones at most risk and also, due to close physical contact,  the ones who are most likely to pass the infection to others. We should of course also test those with presenting with Covid-19 symptoms.

We have:

A G-Teck air ram x2

An AEG

A Dyson x2 one brand new

Three Vax machines, one is a carpet cleaner, and you are spot on. The £49 Vax is easily equal to the way overpriced £300 Dyson

The other great mystery is why we have so many... some questions are best not asked...

So good you said it twice...  ;)

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Brew your comments are largely valid.. but.. 'the hand that feeds us.' ??  Really?  That's all a bit deferential isn't it?

There is no such hand.  There is only a system and a very flawed one at that.

Depends on how you interpret it. I do not infer the lord of the manor is doling out largesse to the great unwashed but rather the 'hand' is  the system, the one we are all part of and our society is built upon. I did say it was far from perfect and it is. Biting the hand etc infers that tearing down the present system is potentially disastrous.

Like you I'm tired and should have more sense, or at least read stuff back before I press send...  :wacko:

• Like 1

Which leaves us wondering who it is... Right or Left.... which is keenest to tear down which (parts of) 'the system'?

My own view is that the Right want to tear down 'The State', and especially anything even vaguely related to the Welfare State.  This is partly ideological, but it is mostly  pragmatic desire to get their hands on all that luvverley public money.

OTOH, the Left simply want to stop the process being driven by the Right, as well as forcing the Right to pay taxes and stop 'offshoring' the cash they make off the backs of Brit workers.

Am I missing something with all of this virus testing?

Within almost no time at all following a test, a person showing a negative result could become infected (perhaps even by the testing personnel) thus rendering the whole process pointless.

The only useful test will be the antibody test which will show whether a person had been exposed to the virus and has developed at least some immunity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well said Jonab.  I totally agree and have been saying this for weeks- even before the antibody test was even mentioned publically!

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Really Red?  The EU is responsible for CV too?

I read that Germany refused to supply Italy with equipment it had, facmasks and the like so understandably Italy were not best pleased. I think that is what RR was referring to. Odd how China stepped in and sent the equipment that Italy desperately needed. 

• Like 1

I thought that Covid 19 was exclusively a human condition. Just read that Dominic Cummings has self-isolated/quarantined himself. I'm sure the RU will be much better off without him.

• Like 1

I note that tucked away in a corner is the news that Hungary has moved to rule by decree. Not only is this unusual in  a democracy it's  highly dangerous and means Hungary is now a dictatorship with no set time limit.

Opponents deemed to publish untrue or distorted facts face several years in jail.

Brew.. the conditions for this sort of Dictatorship have been there for years... CV is just a convenient excuse.

Is it me or are Eastern European countries more accepting of government doing this type of thing?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political