Things you don't see anymore

They wouldn't know what proper nappies are either, it's easier to spend a fortune on disposable ones than clean the towelling ones of yesteryear!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

The trouble with towelling nappies on freezing days like this is that they were like sheets of cardboard on the washing line!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MargieH said:

The trouble with towelling nappies on freezing days like this is that they were like sheets of cardboard on the washing line!

OK then, so how did yesteryears mum manage? Today's mum's ain't gota clue about nowt. 

Different model Ian, the KM had that extra bumper & a proper handbrake, not the propshaft handbrake fitted to the TK.

KM's had much bigger & more powerful engines, too many differences to remember, nevertheless both TK & KM were nice wagons to drive, much better than Ford Or God forbid Leyland trucks !

• Like 1

Sure is Ian !

Saw this in Eastbourne last Easter, still in daily use too.

I used to drive one very similar to this one many moons ago & my boss commented one day how heavy the Petrol engined TKs were to run.

Little did he know I ran my car on his petrol as well !

P1050282_zpsh1jogoov.jpg

• Like 1

Vehicles with snow chains on in the current weather !

Kids with ‘winter warmers’- tin cans stuffed with rags, holes punched in the side. A longish wire fastened to it then set alight. Swung around vigorously making a huge roar. Great fun in the day but not recommended in the health and safety era!

We used to put a bit of paraffin in with the rags in our winter warmers then some clever clogs decided petrol would be better. He spent a week in hospital and got a permanently scarred hand and arm.

On 01/03/2018 at 1:05 PM, Waddo said:

They wouldn't know what proper nappies are either, it's easier to spend a fortune on disposable ones than clean the towelling ones of yesteryear!!

This subject caused me to have to return to the Falkland Islands without my wife and new born child back in the 1980s.  I wanted her to take proper nappies for a couple of reasons. 1: You couldn't buy disposables there, so when used there would be no more anyway and 2: The diposables she wanted to take used up our entire luggage allowance - even though we had been allocated extra because it was a military flight and Falklands residents had a bigger ration of space than on normal flights.  In the end we had a big falling out and I went back alone whilst she stayed with her mother for an extra couple of weeks.  She brought the disposables down anyway and of course - they ended up in the landfill site after use.

• Like 1

And have you seen the price of the damn things?, I tell you what, if I had any kids, they would have been in proper nappies, not lazy ones!!

• Like 1

That was one of my points, Waddo. She spent a small fortune buying paper that was to be sh1t on and then thrown away to pollute the local envirnment....Grrrr!

Bugg*r! Wrong again - me and my big gob 

:tony:

How about this one then? This photo was taken a couple of months after I had left the colliery [Photo credit Newstead and Annesley Heritage Project]:

40590064801_c2e9dd0be0_b.jpg

• Like 2

Not wrong again Paul, far from it, you'll never see a pit yard like that again,

Rog

• Like 1

Pony. 'The little drink with the big kick'.

A Shipstones beer barrel, for some reason it's in the Abbey pumping station museum Leicester

P1060084.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Saddened for those too young and missed it ! 

• Like 1

Brown and Polsons     made it in the 60s  1/9 a pack of 5,.........at Marsdens...........drum of Birds Custard 1/6 Madam ?  Rowntrees Jelly 11p or Chivers at 9p to go with it ?

Deliver? certainly Madam.......lol.

I used to see the Blue Pullman going along the midland mainline from a little bridge near Ratcliffe on Soar before the power station was built or the little lane was widened,where have all those years gone?

Rog

• Like 1