Things you don't see anymore

10 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

He would count them out on the table separate the rebate money and then roll the rest into stiff cardboard rolls, these then went in a heavy leather shoulder bag.

I remember them doing this with shillings!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

You are beginning to make me wonder how you know so much about the ladies garments. (just joking)

I used to work in research connected with these things (and others such as knickers, underpants, socks, surgical stockings etc.).

On the subject of "penny in the meter", I seem to remember that we had two meters, one taking pennies for the lights and one taking shillings for "power use" that is, the cooker, electric wash-tub and electric fire (which we didn't use).

23 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It was said, by Kipling I think,  “a woman is just a woman but a good cigar is a smoke”. I wouldn’t know - never had a cigar!

When I was living in Ethiopia in the mid-1980s, Some Cuban troops were based there.  For Birr10 (£3:00) one could buy a foil wrap of 25 "Churchill" size cigars from those troops!

On 10/03/2018 at 8:40 AM, Waddo said:

I think like in most situations, what the eye don't see,the heart won't grieve about..

Or as they say in the catering trade: "What the eye don't see, the chef gets away with!" 

:rotfl:

• Like 2

I had a red single headlight version of that model; not JPS though.  It reminds me of the 1970s when I was a member at Trent Bridge. The JPS ladies used to come around the cricket ground on Sunday 'John Player League' matches and hand out free JPS fags.  Wouldn't happen in these days of do-gooder rule though.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Don't see these anymore...the lovely JPS Capri.0348f00dec66ef5903c4e69b4acd9434--mercur

I didn’t have a JPS but I did have a 3 litre Ghia version. White with black vinyl roof. We took it on holiday to Devon on the day after I collected it. It ran out of fuel on that enormous steep hill out of Lynmouth and caused an embarrassing traffic jam. It was a faulty gauge. I thumbed a lift back into town and was brought back with a gallon of petrol. My then fiancée was not too pleased as she had to spend the best part of an hour directing traffic. :biggrin:

Porlock !

• Like 1

Fortunately not. We’d already climbed that one, gone over Exmoor and down Countisbury Hill where we stayed at the Tors Hotel. (I knew how to treat a girl!) It was the following morning on the climb out towards Ilfracombe. A breakdown on Porlock would have been spectacular! It’s funny but I’ve just realised I’ve never been that way since. We did subsequently marry!

An early graphic illustration of inflation.  If coin meters were still in use today you'd be probably be dropping pound coins into them.  

Edited to add.  This is a response to Jill on the previous page.  I hadn't realized how many posts there had been since then.  I wish we still had post numbers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Porlock !

I gave that a like because I haven't seen Porlock in 53 years.  First saw it in 1961 with some guys from the cycling club.  That was an interesting time.  You needed some low gears and strong nerves on the way down.

Next saw it in 1965.  Second Evening of my honeymoon.  We drove up. And had a look at it.  It was chucking it dahn so hard we could hardly see anything.  We went back to our B &B.  All the old timers were watching Sunday night tv.  It was 8:30 so we went to bed.  Well what would you have done? :biggrin: :biggrin:.   Haven't seen Porlock since.

14 hours ago, philmayfield said:

How do you research knickers without getting your face slapped?

Mostly, they were not being worn at the time of my investigations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ha, ha. A word I frequently use Compo !

• Like 1

Still available Compo, radio hams who build home brew projects use them for the face plates of projects, I have a couple of packs of them, touch of clear lacquer over the top, and they stay fine for years.