Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

no Katy, jelly and blancmange,................and blancmange was brown and polsons 5 satchets in a box 1/6..............lol.

POLSONS , Margie..........is that better?.............and do you remember Birds custard in drums ?..........1/11..............

Thankyou Benjamin, but there's no need to SHOUT !!  I remember the packets of blancmange  - loved them - we sometimes had the hot pink (liquid) blancmange poured over a sponge pudding instead of custard.  I still have a tin of Birds custard in a drum which I use sometimes...  I don't think it's out of date..

• Upvote 1

I hate blancmange, yuk !  love Angel Delight though.

I can still get it here from the UK shops that are springing up everywhere, must be all you bloody poms leaving your overcrowded ship there :-))  :ph34r::Shock:

• Upvote 2

Then of course there was the cheapo' drums of custard powder.............Pearce-Duffs....1/6...............got me going now remember them little tins of 'Burdhalls' gravy salt about a 1/-....................

• Upvote 2

Re #3707. I tend to agree Ian. The new format definitely doesn't feel as welcoming. In fact at times, I feel like an intruder or a gooseberry. 

Katyjay, yes I remember all those different flavours of blancmange - of course it should only be white according to the name (blancmange = 'white eat' in French)   The chocolate one was nice poured hot over chocolate sponge pudding.

FLY, sorry you don't feel as comfortable with the new format...... I suppose we all feel like gooseberries sometimes - I do, especially when there's conversations going on that I feel I'm not part of for whatever reason.  Sometimes I think that people have been sending pms to certain other people then they carry on with their conversations publicly, and I'm not sure what they're on about.  Does that make sense?

• Upvote 2

Crankypig: #3706 You can still buy gravy salts in packets. They stock it in Tesco's but I don't remember the brand name. I finished a packet a few months ago but haven't yet replaced it.

On 21/09/2016 at 11:37 AM, radfordred said:

What you do take the silver foil out a fag packet wrap it around your thumb \snipped\

Sitting underneath the upstairs balcony in the cinema was a good place for this exercise; as was in cafés - one of which I was thrown out of for this very act :/

Perhaps we ought to suggest that Ben opens a shop, selling all these items at 1960 prices. Then we can all pile in and cram as many products as our greedy little mits can possibly grab into our shopping baskets, to the great benefit of our pockets. Quids in! Oh, and if there's anything we don't like or which doesn't suit our fastidious tastes, we can complain loudly and moan that what we've got for a fraction of its present day price isn't acceptable!

Hang on, there's a parallel here somewhere.

How about it, Ben?

• Upvote 3

As I understand it, he did run a grocery shop, but would not serve men not wearing a tie, and so went out of business,:rotfl:

• Upvote 3

Re #3719. Yes Margie, guilty as charged. I'm sorry! 

Nice one Chulla,you don't know how close to the truth you are mate.................and yes Jill love to run a shop at 1960 prices and as Ian says the men especially would have to be immaculatley turned out (sod the spelling on immacubly turned out),.........i could also combine the only other skill i have and 'nick' a few lifters..............i'd be happy all day 'bantering with and nicking well dressed people..................lol.

• Upvote 2

I'll immune in my cut-offs , sandals and old T shirts then will I Ben ? 

FLY, I wasn't thinking of you particularly when I commented about gooseberries!  Why do we use that term anyway (playing gooseberry)?

Nice one Chulla,you don't know how close to the truth you are mate.................and yes Jill love to run a shop at 1960 prices and as Ian says the men especially would have to be immaculatley turned out (sod the spelling on immacubly turned out),.........i could also combine the only other skill i have and 'nick' a few lifters..............i'd be happy all day 'bantering with and nicking well dressed people..................lol.

• Upvote 1

Never nick you fly..............cos i'd also be on the door and wunt let you in dressed like that.....................lol.