Things you don't see anymore

Re # 3928. It was 'Turn on, Tune in, Drop out'. A book by Timothy Leary.

I started reading another of his ramblings years ago called 'The Politics of Ecstasy '. I barely made a quarter of the way through. It was utter twaddle. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I thought I had posted these last week?!  Anyrode, Here's a couple of pictures that might jog a few memories and bring back some happy, or otherwise, visits to the flicks in days gone by......

32541644223_88e5f638b5_b.jpg

I still remember the crinkly feel of the plastic Kia-Ora  tub:

32541647603_6658bbf6cc_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Goodness me, it's different from today's offerings. I was charged £2.50 even for the smallest of tubs at both the Theatre Royal, and the Concert Hall recently. I bet those were 6d in those days !

I think just about everything in their trays was a tanner in the 60s, Fly2 :)  In those days the service was just that - a service, not a money grabbing scheme.

• Upvote 2

Compo #3941

Yes that is them! thankyou

I typed in phul nana and  images   And it seems they made perfume , soap, powder and all sorts,I can still remember the taste of them,I couldn't put the pics on here don't know how to do it on a IPad .

The picture reminded me that we used to drop a stick, or something that would float on the water in the grate, and then get a long twig, split the end for a few inches and sprag open with a matchstick. We would then feed the twig between the bars of the grate and stab the floating stick. The matchstick would release allowing the fork ends of the twig to grip the stick so we could retrieve it. Anyone else do this?

• Upvote 1

Petrol at 3 /- a gallon

P1050499_zpshgnegwny.jpg

Shell-Mex-BP petroleum spirit can,you can make out the cost under the handle,don't know whether to paint the shell and writing in gold or yellow

P1050498_zpsu8zhihh3.jpg

Hopefully Sidha will be along with advice

Rog

• Upvote 1

Here's one idea for the can but I think the originals had a full red body more like the second photo:

32752851493_e190d8cb65_m.jpg 32723904954_cb1884cebf_c.jpg

• Upvote 2

Six and fourpence three farthings.  Enough for a night out and change for the bus to work in the morning:

33525911596_ed3a4e9440_h.jpg

• Upvote 1

My newly acquired Murphy B815 transistor radio with 'bandspread' and Radio Caroline on the dial, sits alongside one of its contemporary devices - a Dansette record player:

33427773891_59fab100e1_h.jpg

32742188433_84207f08d8_h.jpg

• Upvote 2
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Merthyr Imp said:

Long after the days of British Rail the double arrow symbol is still in current use as a sign to indicate the presence of a railway station, it also appears on all standard tickets and on the National Rail Enquiries website:

Just seen the double arrow symbol on the new Britain Runs on Rail advert on TV. Still going strong after 50 years.

• Upvote 2

Fritters,mmmmm yes please,sooner have them than chips to be honest,it's all in the batter mix,plus good quality spuds

Rog

• Upvote 1

3954.  Fritters, YES!  Hard to believe I had forgotten them. Thanks for the reminder.  Nice crispy batter.  Couldn't be beat.  Wonder why they are not around anymore.  We never did see them over here.

Edit.  CP. us kids used to get those bottle tops and flick 'em.  They made good flying saucers to our minds.